Stabilizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stabilizers

Was doing some preseason aisle searching the other day, and ran across some pretty long stabilizers that got me wondering. I've always shot with stabilizers that were in the 5-7 inch range, but seems like now a days you see a lot more people shooting with really long stabilizers. Was just curious what y'all guys shoot, and if you shoot a longer stabilizer does it really make a difference? Same thing with side stabilizers? Wanted to see what the masses say before throwing round some hundos on an experiment!

Nope. My bow has the shorter one and its fine. I would think a longer one, especially ones on the side would just be something else to hang up on tree branches, vines, etc. etc.

Comment

My understanding of the long stabilizers is they require less weight than the shorter ones due to the leverage. I believe it was something that target shooters used that has started to carry over into the hunting world.

Comment

those short stubby rubber "stabilizers" do virtually nothing at all from a stabilization standpoint. They're basically just vibration dampeners. Put it on or take it off and there's no difference for me.

I don't shoot anything crazy long now but do shoot w a 10" stabilizer with adjustable weights so I can customize it to what feels best for me and it makes a big difference.

I tried using a back/side bar stabilizer this year but just can't get used to it. The additional added weight from that actually negatively affects my accuracy and ability to hold steady on the target. I guess I need to hit the gym more often to get the benefits from it.

Comment

I just started running a 10” CBE micro torx up front and an 8” back bar. I’m still experimenting with the back bar but the front bar has definitely helped. Light weight and micro diameter to help with wind.
          I also looked at the AAE mountain series too

Comment

Short stabilizers hardly do more than dampen vibration.

Comment

The short answer is as stated above, yes long stabilizers help with accuracy but they hinder portability/concealment for hunting. There's a reason open-class competition shooters use 30" bars and back bars, just as there's a reason we don't all hunt with competition rigs.

I think the reason you see more 12+" stabs lately is in part because of the hype around western hunting, which is more suited to long stabs because of longer shots and less, if any, brush. Also, the media accessibility of competition shooters who hunt, like Levi Morgan, plays a role. Instead of hunters who pick up a bow, we see more of shooters who hunt, and they seem to prefer more stabilization (possibly due to sponsorship by stab companies.)

Comment

Working...
              X