Looking for Knifemaker to Complete a Started Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Knifemaker to Complete a Started Project

To make a long story short, at the first of this year I hired a local knifemaker to make 13 knives for the groomsmen and ushers in my wedding at the end of June. I paid him for half the knives and picked out a specific design I liked out of his options. My only request was that he have them done before my wedding and that he engrave/stamp each guys initials somewhere on the blade, even gave him extra to get the tool set to do so.

Checked in with him monthly and kept getting different excuses. A month and a half before I started checking in every week or two asking for pictures and then he really started with the excuses (divorce, got locked up, moved houses and shops, etc.) Told him I need them no later than June 17, I got married on June 24. Was still in relative contact with him until June 20th and then he went radio silent. Had nothing to give my guys, but swore I'd make it up to them.

While in the airport leaving for my honeymoon I made a Facebook post calling him out and asking if anyone knew where I could find him. The final day of my honeymoon received a message and was able to message him some not so nice things and he finally responded with even more excuses. He apologized and said he had them but never bought the die set to stamp the blades that I paid extra for and never made the sheaths but he would give them to me as is for what I had already paid him. Said no, I want my money back and I'll find a different guy. He said he needed time to sell my knives so he could pay me back. Told him that's not how this works. I then told him to send me pics of these knives, because I was still yet to see a picture, and maybe I would take them.

So almost a week and a half later and several more times of him disappearing and me having to finally file a report with the local sheriffs office just to get him to respond again, this is what I picked up. They are far from perfect, but better than being left with nothing.

I am looking to see if any of the resident knifemakers would want to take on the job of finishing these things a bit better? The scales/handles are obnoxiously wide, like they needed to have each side cut in half thickness wide. I'd also still like each guy's first and last initial engraved or stamped small on each blade. I'd also like to get sheaths made for each. If someone is up for the task and has the time, please message me and we can discuss price and time.

I can also offer an alligator hunt instead of payment on my family property this upcoming season if that sounds more appealing to the person.?
    Attached Files

If you cut the scales in half you might run out of solid antler. It looks like the pithey part of the antler is at the 1/2 part and it will not finish very well. My $.02.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Yep, definitely needed to thin those scales down from the inside... Gonna be some work for someone to get those fixed correctly! Sorry that happened to ya

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the best way to fix those would be to re-handle them altogether. It's a shame. Sorry you went through all that.

In other news, this is really interesting. Several years ago, a guy here on TBH asked me to make a set of groomsmen knives. I think I made 12. They had the same profile as your knives--the sharp finger design. He wanted each handle to be a different color. I couldn't find anything that matched all the colors they wanted, so I learned how to make my own paper micarta. They turned out pretty well.

Comment

I agree with Sam, the only way to do those handles right is to remove them and put new one. Did he make the blades? Who was the maker? The other issue would be the initials you want. As they are a brut de forge style, the initials would have to be on the smooth ground portion. I think that would look odd. It would also at this point, likely have to be etched in. Setup and stencil for each different stencil is usually in the $30ish range. Might be better to have initials done in the sheath. Or possibly laser etched in handle if a wood handle, ive done that before.

Comment

I think because they are so thick you might be able to fillet the handles off on a bandsaw and then drive the pins out from the inside.
              My only fear is, with so little care taken for the handles it makes me question what the heat treat is going to be like.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                I agree with Sam, the only way to do those handles right is to remove them and put new one. Did he make the blades? Who was the maker? The other issue would be the initials you want. As they are a brut de forge style, the initials would have to be on the smooth ground portion. I think that would look odd. It would also at this point, likely have to be etched in. Setup and stencil for each different stencil is usually in the $30ish range. Might be better to have initials done in the sheath. Or possibly laser etched in handle if a wood handle, ive done that before.
                I appreciate all the responses. I have come to the realization that these knives are a wash and have since hired another knifemaker recommended thru a longtime member here to make an entirely new set for me.

The trash that made these knives was Tommy Schaefer out of Stowell and Vidor Texas. If anyone local ever stumbles across this man and has the idea to do business with him, learn from me and don't do it. He also has a remodeling and home repair company called Tommy's Remodeling. If his remodeling and repair is anywhere near the same level as his knifemaking and business practice I would stay far away from it.

Comment

Look up scritchfield knives. He does great work. Tell him Cameron’s dad sent you. His son and my son are friends and I met JP at a birthday party. Good dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dude you used someone from Vidor that’s sketchy on its own

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig1776 View Post
                      Dude you used someone from Vidor that’s sketchy on its own
                      He was in Winnie when I hired him, he is now in Vidor or wherever he ends up. I ended up getting connected with a greenscreen members dad and he built me an entirely new beautiful set.

Comment

Working...
                      X