No announcement yet.

Tell me about retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You definitely have to stay busy, and if you have a slow metabolism, you REALLY need to watch what you eat. My metabolism is really slow so it is really easy to pack on the pounds without realizing it. As already stated, you have to keep yourself busy. I work on my wife’s honey-do list, help the mother-in-law, and work on my cargo trailer to tear drop trailer conversion. My health and medical problems improved when I got away from the stress associated with working.

Comment

I retired at 64 years and 9 months. That was in September 2018. I wish I could have retired sooner. I stay plenty busy. We live on 63 acres in SE Iowa. I have been prepping (spraying) food plots today. There is always something to do, but I do it when I want to. I am going back down in the pasture to pick wild blackberries and wild black raspberries this evening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I retired 5 years ago at the age of 55. I have filled my time with all the little projects the wife has wanted and allot more that I have wanted to get done. My vices are nowhere where they used to be, so I don’t consume more now just cause I’m retired.
        Fishing, hunting and vacations have continued as they did before retirement.
        I have delivered produce from a local farm and bailed hay, shredded pasture, cleared bush.
        Also built a new lake home on 3.5 acres. The yard work and lake bank maintenance are project on their own.
        I have often wondered how I had time to go to the job I had for over 36 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Work sucks! Convince me otherwise......

Comment

Have a plan before you retire, find a purpose to fill your day. Garden, grandkids, fish, hunt, cook, reload, second gig, volunteer, church, work out, walk-whatever. Stay engaged. I spent thirty years in some type of government service and walked away at 51. I haven't missed it one hour.

I planned for a second career months before I retired and hit the ground running the following Monday. I sold that business after working 70+ hours weekly and loving it, but the offer to sell was too good to pass up.

Now, I'm truly retired and I stay busy. Two things-stay active and stay engaged, body and mine. Too many folks age quickly upon retiring.

Comment

4 more years for me. I’ll be 55 so I’ll still do something, never had a hard time occupying my time. I just can’t wait to do what I want when I want. No more nights, weekends or Holidays. 30 Yrs. of shift work I’m done.

Comment

We sold our horse farm in 2014 and moved to Lake Fork so I could get up, walk to the boathouse and fish all day. Sold that place in 2018 because lake life sux(too much upkeep).
                Bought 10 acres right between Lake Fork and Tawakoni and just finished building our retirement home. If I want to fish I can drive 5 miles either way or I can stay home and play on my tractor or in my shop.
                I retired at 62 because I had more friends that never made it that far and I refused to let the government have the money I had slaves for all my life.
                The secret is…don’t plan anything for tomorrow, just get up and stay busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  Almost 4 years now. Nothing better IMO. I am the type that can't sit still. I work harder now than I ever did at my job, but I set my hours. LOL!
                  I help the wife out around the house while she is working. Get all my want to done when I want. Go to the ranch & piddle etc anytime I want. Hunt & fish when I want. Day is over before I know it & wonder where did the day go. I wonder how I got everything done when I did have a job.

I will add I was at the same place 40 yrs. The last several, I hated EVERY morning I got up to go to the job. Now I Thank the Lord every morning when I wake up & see the ceiling. LOL!
                  Oh and if you take his old azz fishing he doesn't get tired [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                    I've been working 50 plus hours a week since I was 17. I'm 62 now and thinking about retirement.
                    What do you do to fill your day?
                    50 hours? That's part time to me.

I retired 3 years ago and work 7 days a week. 10-12 hours a day. I've taken one day off in the past 17 months. My FIL passed away so I took a day.

I'll take time off when I'm dead. Love me some hard work.

Comment

Set a goal to retire at 50 and did. Hated it for 6 years before I went back to work in my field to help others build successful start up companies. Back then I was too young and there were not others my age to socialize and engage with. Burned out on golf.

Now after retiring at 65, absolutely love it. Have many established friendship with people my age and like interests. (This really helps keep active) Daily goal is to complete one project and then enjoy life.

Things to keep active
                      - Enjoy morning coffee and have quiet time before significant other & dog gets up
                      - Start day by taking a long walk with wife or friend and dog
                      - Research anything to keep your mind engaged
                      - Join an archery club and help with maintenance & upkeep. Shoot 2 times per week with friends
                      - Complete at least one daily project (Honey do list)
                      - Join a shooting club and practice pistol target shooting
                      - Get into bird watching and start marking off your sightings in your Sibley
                      - Go to the ranch as often as possible. Have a list of what needs to be done & do it. This normally requires 7 days minimum per month
                      - I have a love for saltwater fishing - 4 trips per year normally
                      - Play golf with a group normally 2 times per month on a weekend day
                      - Enjoy all types of hunting and participate in dove, archery season, deer, elk, pigs, rifle seasons deer, pigs, varmints, duck, quail
                      - Also enjoy the crappy winter season, jug lining catfish in spring, pond fishing at ranch in summers, friend invites for boat fishing
                      - Out of state elk, bear, and partridge hunting
                      - Traveling north in hot of summer with plans for 6 to 8 weeks next year out of TX heat
                      - Wife and I love art both locally and in our travels
                      - Enjoy home cooked meals (& cooking), once a week restaurant out date night, prefer farm to market local places
                      - Enjoy wines both with and without friends
                      - Enjoy select entertaining of friends especially with those that reciprocate
                      - Outdoor cooking all meals on a fire at the ranch
                      - One travel trip per year outside of our get out of the heat time
                      - Forgot we love the beach and do a trip each late spring before the kids get out of school
                      - Almost forgot, keeping up with TBH and the good people that support it & BOWNANZA

I am sure if I asked my wife she would say I have all sorts of other activities that keep me away from the things that need to be done around the house. As I say, it can wait until tomorrow.

Retire and enjoy a stress free life......

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                        What do you do Shane?
                        Financial advisor

Comment

Just retired and still feels like I'm on vacation after the 4th. So far so good. My bucket list is longer than my honey do list, the last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                            Set a goal to retire at 50 and did. Hated it for 6 years before I went back to work in my field to help others build successful start up companies. Back then I was too young and there were not others my age to socialize and engage with. Burned out on golf.

Now after retiring at 65, absolutely love it. Have many established friendship with people my age and like interests. (This really helps keep active) Daily goal is to complete one project and then enjoy life.

Things to keep active
                            - Enjoy morning coffee and have quiet time before significant other & dog gets up
                            - Start day by taking a long walk with wife or friend and dog
                            - Research anything to keep your mind engaged
                            - Join an archery club and help with maintenance & upkeep. Shoot 2 times per week with friends
                            - Complete at least one daily project (Honey do list)
                            - Join a shooting club and practice pistol target shooting
                            - Get into bird watching and start marking off your sightings in your Sibley
                            - Go to the ranch as often as possible. Have a list of what needs to be done & do it. This normally requires 7 days minimum per month
                            - I have a love for saltwater fishing - 4 trips per year normally
                            - Play golf with a group normally 2 times per month on a weekend day
                            - Enjoy all types of hunting and participate in dove, archery season, deer, elk, pigs, rifle seasons deer, pigs, varmints, duck, quail
                            - Also enjoy the crappy winter season, jug lining catfish in spring, pond fishing at ranch in summers, friend invites for boat fishing
                            - Out of state elk, bear, and partridge hunting
                            - Traveling north in hot of summer with plans for 6 to 8 weeks next year out of TX heat
                            - Wife and I love art both locally and in our travels
                            - Enjoy home cooked meals (& cooking), once a week restaurant out date night, prefer farm to market local places
                            - Enjoy wines both with and without friends
                            - Enjoy select entertaining of friends especially with those that reciprocate
                            - Outdoor cooking all meals on a fire at the ranch
                            - One travel trip per year outside of our get out of the heat time
                            - Forgot we love the beach and do a trip each late spring before the kids get out of school
                            - Almost forgot, keeping up with TBH and the good people that support it & BOWNANZA

I am sure if I asked my wife she would say I have all sorts of other activities that keep me away from the things that need to be done around the house. As I say, it can wait until tomorrow.

Retire and enjoy a stress free life......
                            Nice! I think printing this and putting things on your calendar would be almost essential. Add twice monthly poker games ($20 or friendly buy in), calling out of town relatives and friends just to catch up. Most of this stuff should be on our schedules anyway before retirement!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife and I could retire now but I have 20 employees that will listen to me cry about the economy and hogs eating my protein. If I retired I would only have one.

Comment

Been "out of work" for 1 yr/5mo/5 days now and I do what I want to do. After that I do what the wife wants me to do. Sometimes the chores go hand in hand. More fishin, more huntin. Things lookin better around the house, No regrets!

Comment

Working...
                                X