Best budget thermal monocular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best budget thermal monocular

Looking for a good thermal monocular for bow hunting. Prolly a 150-200 yard range would be sufficient. Let me know if anyone has experience with these. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following, I've been wanting one for years.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

AGM TM-160 is entry level from $250-350
      Not a lot of detail at the distance you mentioned but gets you in the game

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
        AGM TM-160 is entry level from $250-350
        Not a lot of detail at the distance you mentioned but gets you in the game
        I had a 160. You can identify up to 90 to 100 yrds. See a heat signature out to about 300 at best. For the money it does a good job.

Comment

I have a pair of TM 160s I will be listing soon. Sharkhunter's description is spot on of their capabilities. Both units work like new, I just don't use them. $300 ea. if you're interested.

Comment

What about in the 500-800$ range is there a big difference from any of the base models?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
              I had a 160. You can identify up to 90 to 100 yrds. See a heat signature out to about 300 at best. For the money it does a good job.

Sounds like about what I would need, just curious if you went up a lil in price If your clarity would be much better?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                I have a pair of TM 160s I will be listing soon. Sharkhunter's description is spot on of their capabilities. Both units work like new, I just don't use them. $300 ea. if you're interested.

Thanks man, if I go this route I may see if you will work me out a deal if I snag em both from ya

Comment

AGM Taipan TM25-384 Thermal or TM19-384

You won't be disappointed for the money

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                    AGM Taipan TM25-384 Thermal or TM19-384

You won't be disappointed for the money

Agree with this advice! I have a 384 & 160…

Comment

When I do it again I will go to the 384 model. I have not looked through a 256 model to see what it is like. I have the 160 and my only grip about it is the humidity. It will completely white out with not a lot of moisture. So having said all of this I would at least go up to a 256 if you can swing the extra couple hundred.

Comment

A lot of good info here. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Feel free to give us a call, we'll be glad to help. This is what we do!

There is one fact when it comes to thermal....you get what you pay for. If 50-100 yards (MAX) is all you care about a TM160 might be ok. If you upgrade to something like a AGM TM10-256 for $599 you'll get a 2x better optic. It's still really best under 100-150 yards but it's way better than a TM160. Anything currently under $1,200 and under a 384x288 17 micron resolution is considered "sub-entry level". They work for some very narrow specific situations but don't make a great thermal for general use.

You move up into the $1,200+ range and now you're getting into real entry level thermal and your range goes up into the 200+ yards and you'll have a much more legitimate all around thermal handheld that is much more useful.

It all comes down to budget and what works best for you. Don't spend more than you need/want to but understand exactly what you're getting before you buy it. I've seen a pile of people buy these $399-$999 thermals and immediately realize they made a huge mistake. I've also seen a lot of people who know exactly what they were getting, buy them and love them.

Feel free to call us, we'll be glad to help and explain what each unit is actually capable of in the field.

(877)350-1818
                          We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818

Jason

Comment

Make sure you go with a 320-384ish resolution. Do not go with anything less than that or you will be disappointed. As long as you’re in that range on resolution, just about any will be plenty sufficient for what you want to do.

Comment

i bought the 15-384 , first one has lines in it new , they replaced it no question , second quit recording .. viewer was ok , they replaced it no question ... last one i have now and still happy with it .. as you can see in the attached video .. 100 yards is not problem .. the far feeder is 300 yards and you still can see animals and differentiate deer from pigs mainly by their movements ... still happy with mine , even though it failed twice , they take care of their customers ... and i don't plan on selling it .. i like what it does .. and i really like using it with the ipad as it makes the picture nice and big and doesn't mess up your night vision looking through the eyepiece ..
                              [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32G5y1NsvGI&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]AGM Taipan TM15-384 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X