The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
    lense always make a difference , the bigger the germanium lens the better the performance , and higher the cost as well ... given the sensor and image processor is the same. that's why the cheaper scopes have what looks like a 40mm objective but a tiny lens .. with that said the image processor improvements made lately greatly make hunting scopes better .. they are more tuned for hunting than previous generic "thermal metering" they used to use. trade off is field of view and magnification ... that massive lens will have more magnification and long range performance , but if all you do is sneak up within 100 yards and open up on a 30rd mag , the smaller lens scope do just fine.

there are plenty of older scopes with crappy sensors by today's standards that can reach way out there due to their 50 to 75 mm lenses.. they also used to cost $7k ..

I wish manufacturers or after market guys would offer upgrades on older scope with giant lenses .. that's where the money was at .. just look at germanium lenses on ebay .. big ones are expensive !
    same reason you won't find a $2k thermal scope with a 50mm lens ... won't happen $$$$$

Comment

totally disagree , I only used the pulsar once , didn't know how to disable auto nuk since it was a loaner from a friend and it was totally annoying. how much do you enjoy watching an amazon prime movie when the picture freezes every so often and buffers ... now imagine trying to take a shot while this is happening.... auto nuk sucks ! i don't care what anybody says.
      It’s not the optics fault you can’t figure out how to disable it.

Comment

lense always make a difference , the bigger the germanium lens the better the performance , and higher the cost as well ... given the sensor and image processor is the same. that's why the cheaper scopes have what looks like a 40mm objective but a tiny lens .. with that said the image processor improvements made lately greatly make hunting scopes better .. they are more tuned for hunting than previous generic "thermal metering" they used to use. trade off is field of view and magnification ... that massive lens will have more magnification and long range performance , but if all you do is sneak up within 100 yards and open up on a 30rd mag , the smaller lens scope do just fine.

there are plenty of older scopes with crappy sensors by today's standards that can reach way out there due to their 50 to 75 mm lenses.. they also used to cost $7k ..

I wish manufacturers or after market guys would offer upgrades on older scope with giant lenses .. that's where the money was at .. just look at germanium lenses on ebay .. big ones are expensive !
        Agreed that the lense makes a big difference which is why the Halo/Trijicno make a better picture than the XG 50 which has the exact same processor but does not make as good of a picture. Super interested to hear if the new lense makes a big difference, I hope it does but you never know. From my understanding it is not just the objective size but the quality of the germanium lense however as you mentioned both influence price. There are also small objective lense optics out there like the NOX 18mm that some folks have said has one of the best if not the best image quality on the market. Lastly there are other factors that come into play with magnification other than just objective lense size. The Pulsar line has a range from 2x-5.5x in their 50mm objective lense.

Comment

totally disagree , I only used the pulsar once , didn't know how to disable auto nuk since it was a loaner from a friend and it was totally annoying. how much do you enjoy watching an amazon prime movie when the picture freezes every so often and buffers ... now imagine trying to take a shot while this is happening.... auto nuk sucks ! i don't care what anybody says.
          I am with you on auto nuc as is seems to nuc at the most inconvienent time. However I do think there is a place for the auto nuc although I keep mine in semi auto. I will admit that I find myself not refreshing it enough. If I am hunting with a person that is inexperienced in thermal hunting I will keep it on auto because everything at the beginning is very intimidating and you dont want to put to much on them which might confuse them.

Lastly the Pulsars are pretty easy to change nuc modes, you just have to find it in the menu.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            are you really going to troll every post i make ? it's getting silly .. maybe next time one of your friend invites you to go hunting and hand you an optic , you can just stay in the truck and read the manual while everyone else is out shooting and having fun ...

Comment

This is not entirely true! Look at the XG. That is why the price point is lower then its superior partners of the REAP/NVSION.

Get what you pay for

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                This is not entirely true! Look at the XG. That is why the price point is lower then its superior partners of the REAP/NVSION.

Get what you pay for
                hum, ok i guess china has nothing to do with this price equation ..
                not that i'm knocking chinese crap .. i just ordered an AGM mono for scanning .. the 60mm reap is sick though! but i won't upgrade to it , i prefer the field of view .

Comment

I'm waiting for an AGM Rattler TS25 on backorder with Outdoor Legacy. I'm really excited to get it and take it hunting, we will now have 2 thermals to run while hunting with my buddy. I will let yall know what I think about it when I get it in.

Comment

Originally posted by jofus View Post
                    Bad look for the Rico mk1:

There is a building lag time between what you’re seeing on the screen vs what you’re actually pointing at. Sounds like it may be a rare issue, but he said iRay told him it’s 2%, and 1/50 isn’t good odds.

Go to 12:50 for his display lag test.

He says in a different video that he has mailed the unit to iRay so they can update the firmware or replace it.

iRay ended up providing an explanation in the comments of this video. The recording plays slightly faster than real time, which makes it looks like the phone recording and display is getting delayed.

Comment

That’s exactly what it is. I hunt quite a bit. I’ve used mostly Pulsars and Trijicons, and I can assure you the auto nuk of the Pulsar isn’t an issue. I much prefer it’s adjustability (auto, semi, manual) to the only manual of Trijicon. That said both optics have their pros and cons, and the Trijicon has a superior image.
                      Exactly this. Auto nuke sucks period. Cost me at least 1 coyote last tournament I hunted right about the time he stopped and I lined up to kill him it nuked. By time it it came back on he was moving and he wasn't stopping a second time. After that stand I played with it and turned on semi auto. No issues rest of the night. Has done the same thing pig hunting as well.
                      Go read your first post you claim auto nuk is not a problem at all. That is false. The semi auto function is awesome though.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been following this gentlemans youtube videos. Not sure what to think on it. His test was pretty interesting but I would say that it was not 100% scientific lol. But the reply about the recording being faster than what is shown in real time is concerning to me however I know nothing about electronics/programming/recording. All in all I dont know what to think other than I think it is more plausible that this guys gun might not be zero'd as good as he thinks it is which is causing the missed or misplaced shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                          Been following this gentlemans youtube videos. Not sure what to think on it. His test was pretty interesting but I would say that it was not 100% scientific lol. But the reply about the recording being faster than what is shown in real time is concerning to me however I know nothing about electronics/programming/recording. All in all I dont know what to think other than I think it is more plausible that this guys gun might not be zero'd as good as he thinks it is which is causing the missed or misplaced shots.
                          Missing a link?

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                            Missing a link?

I think he is talking about this guy

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                              Yes, interesting that iray said nothing about all his missed shots. The scope has been out in Europe for a while correct? So any lag issue should have been known about/fixed already...He seems like a competent shooter tho who would know how to zero a thermal, having had several in the past...

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                                Go read your first post you claim auto nuk is not a problem at all. That is false. The semi auto function is awesome though
                                Saying it’s not a problem at all is a little over the top. Very rarely is at an issue is correct though. I’ve never had it interfere with my shot, but I have had it interfere twice after the shot when I was trying to watch the hog go down in case a follow up was needed. I can see where it would be frustrating if lost an opportunity. As I said I’d prefer the option to choose which setting I’d like over the manual only setting though.

Comment

Working...
                                X