Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    First, you are in one of the richest artifact areas in North America. In many cases the soil has eroded off the hills and left artifacts just laying on the rocky ground. Look at high spots near stream beds that are above flash flood plane. ALL will be sites.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can someone tell me how to post pictures. I have some of my first surface finds I'd like thoughts on .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathershredder View Post
        Can someone tell me how to post pictures. I have some of my first surface finds I'd like thoughts on .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        Download Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I found this nice tool while I was field walking last weekend. Drill or engraving tool? It would be neat to see a 15 minute video of the last time this piece was used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill or graver tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	24473273

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill or graver reverse tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	24473274

Comment

Mason Co.:

Oh man....where to start. As GarGuy said, you are in an artifact-rich area to begin with. All those little streams and springs were essential to the early peoples who walked that country. I found a bunch of tools around a little spring we had on a ranch in San Saba. Look anywhere there is exposed ground for flint. Ranch roads are the best places to start. Got any creeks or springs on the property? Look there. Don't forget the larger tools like manos, metates and hide scrapers. Those are indicative of camp sites. Once they found a good camp they returned regularly to that same area so you may have sites that have artifacts over several thousand years. Good luck and post up your finds. You could write a book about the subject of where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              Buddy found this at the ranch a couple weeks ago. Best one so far

[ATTACH]825286[/ATTACH]
              Bulverde maybe.

Comment

Only 3 I've found. Top left from Leon county and others around San Antonio. Can anyone tell me more about these?

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  Mason Co.:

Oh man....where to start. As GarGuy said, you are in an artifact-rich area to begin with. All those little streams and springs were essential to the early peoples who walked that country. I found a bunch of tools around a little spring we had on a ranch in San Saba. Look anywhere there is exposed ground for flint. Ranch roads are the best places to start. Got any creeks or springs on the property? Look there. Don't forget the larger tools like manos, metates and hide scrapers. Those are indicative of camp sites. Once they found a good camp they returned regularly to that same area so you may have sites that have artifacts over several thousand years. Good luck and post up your finds. You could write a book about the subject of where to look.

Thanks man. Next trip I'm looking

Comment

Finally found a near complete point at the ranch in Mason County. Any ideas on ID?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      Finally found a near complete point at the ranch in Mason County. Any ideas on ID?
                      Looks like a Gower to me, but im a little green on Central Texas artifacts... nice find regardless, Congrats-

Comment

Can somebody help ID this Edwards county surface find

Comment

Ttt

Comment

[QUOTE=The General;11959516]Can somebody help ID this Edwards county surface find

I don't believe that piece is going to fall under a specific "Type".. Looks like a tool of some sort, maybe a palm knife or scraper. Types that are named in the book are fairly refined and have certain characteristics that classify them. This piece has good edge work, but you can see the big thinning strikes on the reverse side. This tool was made quickly and built for use! Cool find, im sure there are more goodies laying nearby [emoji4]

Comment

Thanks Ambush. That is kind of what I assumed. I have a few pieces like this and I call them pre-forms or trade blanks, neither of which I am sure are accurate however.

Comment

Thoughts on this I found today?
                                Frio county.

Comment

Working...
                                X