X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      What’s the secret to getting the riggings tight?
      Belay and pull them. With little tools and lots of patience

Comment

Next up, Rumpler 4C Taube.
        This monoplane was surprisingly used early in WWI. Most people are not aware that monoplanes were even around in WWI.
        Before men started aerial combat with fighter aircraft , the Rumpler Taube was used offensively against enemy troops. It was actually used as an observation plane but the observer got the idea to drop grenades and later bombs on entrenched troops. If the opportunity should arrive, a potshot or two at an enemy plane wasn’t out of the question. It’s nickname was The Dove.

This is another rubber band power airplane. I carved the propeller from tongue depressors. The laminations were made by dying every other tongue depressor, gluing them together and then carving away everything that didn’t look like a prop.

The engine was hand carved from foam. There were several different engines or variations of this engine that was used in this plane.

There is an original Taube in the Museum of Flight in Seattle. A good friend of mine, that I worked with, went there on vacation and was able to get permission to go on an upper deck above the Taube and get photos for me so I could duplicate the engine.
        This bird flew surprisingly well.

Comment

Working...
        X