Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glyphosate and St Augustine

Like the title days….. hehe

So we recently built out on property. Wife wanted St Augustine around the house so thats what we got. Grass is in an island that is surrounded by road and forest separating it from the pasture.

Can I gly around the foundation and fencing with this kind of grass or will it carry the herbicide too far killing it unevenly and en masse?

Am I destined to weed eat every week for eternity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spray all my yard fence and around the house and the pool. It doesn't migrate. Only kills what you get it on.

Comment

A weed killer like that can be used around the house and fence. It will kill any of the broadleaf grasses it comes in contact with. I use a pump up sprayer and a close spray to the areas that I want to control. The wind is not your friend, overspray will kill what it contacts.

Comment

Ive used gly for years so familiar with application just wasn’t sure on this grass. Only ever used it on bermuda and bahia before. Good to know I can run a perimeter and put up the weed eater for a while haha.

Comment

I use it as others have stated but I have also had it “wash” or go into my San Augustine grass if the rain hits just right. And this occurred after the other grasses died. I am not sure it was because it settles on the hard packed areas or what but in my specific case it has migrated.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
            I use it as others have stated but I have also had it “wash” or go into my San Augustine grass if the rain hits just right. And this occurred after the other grasses died. I am not sure it was because it settles on the hard packed areas or what but in my specific case it has migrated.

Im wanting to spray the St Augustine.

Comment

I used it for weeds growing in or near the San Augustine and what little overspray it the San Augustin caused large areas of the grass to die which have since come back with weeds and not more San Augustine. I wouldn't recommend.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ill do a test patch and see how it does. Definitely dont want uneven lines.

Comment

Glysophate kills by application to the foliage. Once it hits dirt, it is neutralized. You might get a large piece of cardboard or a tarp and lay it down to protect the grass when you spray.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Glysophate kills by application to the foliage. Once it hits dirt, it is neutralized. You might get a large piece of cardboard or a tarp and lay it down to protect the grass when you spray.

My worry is that since that type of grass has a web of interconnecting roots that it will drink up the herbicide into areas I dont want treated.

My wife will kill me if I get this wrong lol

Comment

I put that sit on Everything

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                        My worry is that since that type of grass has a web of interconnecting roots that it will drink up the herbicide into areas I dont want treated.

Very small amounts are absorbed through the root system and non consequential
                        Blocks plants ability to create a certain enzyme during the synthesis process, so it must touch leaf matter to be effective

Comment

St. Augustine does not have rhizomes like bermuda. Won't be a problem as long as you don't let it drift. Spray with low pressure. If you get it on your shoes, you will leave tracks across the yard though!

Comment

It doesn't work like that, unless your drowning it. Test your spray elsewhere to get the pattern right then keep the wand low, to concentrate on your edges only. You may get a slight overspray but not enough to matter a whole lot. Just move your wand quickly and you won't have to worry about roots any way.
                            Good luck.

Comment

My neighbors Saint Augustine creeps into my bermuda over the edge of the sidewalk. I spray only what's creeping over the sidewalk and it will kill the part of the SA runner that is over the sidewalk and absorb maybe 6 inches into the yard. It won't kill the entire runner especially if its longer than a foot but it will knock it back a few inches.
                              Last edited by unclefish; 05-17-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X