Aerobic Septic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerobic Septic Problems

I did do a search but couldn’t find what I needed.

Recently the septic water coming out of the spray heads has started smelling rank! We moved in my mother n law which has Alzheimer’s and I thought that it was because she used a lot more water. Last night around 11 I started smelling it in the house . I plunged the toilet closest to the system but it was back logged. I went out and checked the aerator and it wasn’t working but no warning light or audible. If the aerator locks up will it shut the pump off? I purchased a sump pump this morning because I couldn’t get anyone to come out.

Sounds like your diaphrams are not working. They are inside the air pump

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
      Sounds like your diaphrams are not working. They are inside the air pump

Yes sir, I’m positive the compressor is Toast but would that shut the water pump off also?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
        Yes sir, I’m positive the compressor is Toast but would that shut the water pump off also?
        Most systems have a test button or switch on them. Ide hit the test button to see is it still sprays. But the system not getting that air will make it stink. Has happened to me twice. All I had to do was replace those diaphrams and a couple days later was back to normal with smell. Check your chlorine level also

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
          Most systems have a test button or switch on them. Ide hit the test button to see is it still sprays. But the system not getting that air will make it stink. Has happened to me twice. All I had to do was replace those diaphrams and a couple days later was back to normal with smell. Check your chlorine level also

Yes Sir, I have the test switch but it isn’t working ! Chlorine level is good! I’m probably going to have to have the control box replaced also!

Comment

So is the second tank full but the pump won’t come on? I had that problem and it was a faulty float switch. Compressor is a separate issue

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              So is the second tank full but the pump won’t come on? I had that problem and it was a faulty float switch. Compressor is a separate issue
              Yes Sir! It is a single light system so from what I've been reading, that means I only have a high level float. I still don't understand why its not sounding an alert .
              Last edited by Bucknaked; 05-14-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

If you're hitting the pump switch on the side of the box and it's not making it spray thru your sprinklers you've either lost power or your pump is toast. It bypasses the floats when you manually use the switch. If your middle tank isn't bubbling your aerator pump is bad. I'd check all of the breakers because it sounds to me like you probably don't have any power going to the control box . There should be alarm and possibly a red light on.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                  If you're hitting the pump switch on the side of the box and it's not making it spray thru your sprinklers you've either lost power or your pump is toast. It bypasses the floats when you manually use the switch. If your middle tank isn't bubbling your aerator pump is bad. I'd check all of the breakers because it sounds to me like you probably don't have any power going to the control box . There should be alarm and possibly a red light on.
                  I have power to the box for sure! It is all very weathered with quite a bit of corrosion in the box! Whoever did this installation placed the sprinkler heads too close and it all gets doused! This is going to cost me lol! I didn’t know that most people hold a quarterly service contract ! I thought I would go ahead and replace the Compressor myself but there are so many things wrong I’d prolly be shooting myself in the foot!

Comment

Aerobic Septic Problems

The aerator diaphragms are likely bad, which will cause the smell for sure. The pump should still work. If you don’t have a test switch, you can also use a long pole with a hook or a rake or similar and carefully lift the float up beyond level to see if it will trip the pump. If you have one float, it is to trigger the pump. A 2nd float is usually a fail safe at a higher level in case the lower float switch is dead. I’ve had both types, and had to replace a float switch. Also had to replace a pump. The systems are pretty simple, but parts can be pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                      The aerator diaphragms are likely bad, which will cause the smell for sure. The pump should still work. If you don’t have a test switch, you can also use a long pole with a hook or a rake or similar and carefully lift the float up beyond level to see if it will trip the pump. If you have one float, it is to trigger the pump. A 2nd float is usually a fail safe at a higher level in case the lower float switch is dead. I’ve had both types, and had to replace a float switch. Also had to replace a pump. The systems are pretty simple, but parts can be pricey.
                      My test switch isn’t working! I’ll try to get ahold of that float and trip it! Compressor breaker was flipped in the control box, I reset it but it feels like it may need to be replaced also. The parts are very pricey but having a company come out would be at minimum double- but it’s doable!

Thanks

So I found 2 cables from the pump and they go into the box- assuming power supply x2. I haven’t been able to grasp or feel anything else and I went around the pump many many times! I pulled the 2 up and held them with a rope while I checked for the float and nada! I can tell that the pump had either been replaced or serviced in the past . I’m thinking the float may be floating around somewhere in the tank lol. I raised the pump a couple of inches then set it down and it kicked on for a second! Time for a new pump! There is a coupler at the top so it wouldn’t be hard to pull out and the compressor is simple enough but the box I’m not too sure about!
                      Last edited by Bucknaked; 05-14-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                        I have power to the box for sure! It is all very weathered with quite a bit of corrosion in the box! Whoever did this installation placed the sprinkler heads too close and it all gets doused! This is going to cost me lol! I didn’t know that most people hold a quarterly service contract ! I thought I would go ahead and replace the Compressor myself but there are so many things wrong I’d prolly be shooting myself in the foot!
                        I don't have a contract, iv done all my maintenance myself. You can get most of the stuff at home depot. The whole thing is really fairly simple.

Comment

I had a problem of this smell, test switch wasn’t getting results no spraying etc. Our service guy gout his pole with a hook and fished the float out of the last tank. He said the chlorine rusted the bolts on the float and it broke off. Bolted the float back together and tie wrapped together as a back up. Was back in business after the float was repaired.

Comment

I pulled it all apart and the float was about 3” off of the pvc. The pump is bad for sure! Looking for all of the components but again, the control box has me worried because I haven’t been able to find one set up identically to mine and I am Not an electrician. Thanks everyone for all of your help .

Comment

Bad air pump is causing the smell. Diaphragms are available from Amazon. Not sure what is going on with the rest of the controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X