moss and turtles in 1/2 acre pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moss and turtles in 1/2 acre pond

The water is much clearer than years past but, this the first time in the four years I've had the place that I've seen moss in my 1/2 acre pond.

Is it a sign of a healthy pond, or should I try to mitigate it?

It had been dry for 6 months but finally last November after it was full again I stocked it with fat head minnows and bluegill. I've seen 25-40 ducks and 10-15 turtles regularly since stocking it.

Should I try to kill the turtles or do they serve a positive purpose in a pond?

Kill the turtles and stay on top of them.

Comment

Look up barrel turtle trap.

Comment

The only purpose turtles serve in a pond is rimfire target practice

Comment

My dad built an elevated deck over looking his lake with the sole purpose of shooting turtles. Many a turtle and many a beer have died there.

Comment

By moss, do you mean floating algae? Or something submerged like hydrilla?

Comment

Those dang turtles get wise very quickly. I have learned that if I stay in the truck to shoot out the window that they will still come up to the surface. I also learned that 00 buckshot will smoke those big boys that are hard to kill with a .22

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                Those dang turtles get wise very quickly. I have learned that if I stay in the truck to shoot out the window that they will still come up to the surface. I also learned that 00 buckshot will smoke those big boys that are hard to kill with a .22
                When try wise up, I use to just back up and take them out with my .222.

Comment

Turtles hurt nothing in a pond. They are a sign of good water quality though. They will not hurt fish populations at all, even though many believe they will, they wont. You probably have algea in your pond with the clearer water. There are several ways to get rid of it chemically

Comment

Do you have any aeration? Turtles aren’t bad for the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's submerged not floating

I have an aeration windmill but it currently isn't working. I have to replace the diaphragm in the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                        Turtles hurt nothing in a pond. They are a sign of good water quality though. They will not hurt fish populations at all, even though many believe they will, they wont. You probably have algea in your pond with the clearer water. There are several ways to get rid of it chemically

I agree, and leave the turtles alone in our pond. Thinking of relocating a few this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you get a lot of red ear sliders in your tank they are a pain. I think it is even part of our wildlife management plan to kill them/keep numbers in check. When we do get some bigger ones in there they eat a lot of the fish pellets and are a pain to deal with when kids are fishing with bait. I’m paying to feed fish—not turtles.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                            If you get a lot of red ear sliders in your tank they are a pain. I think it is even part of our wildlife management plan to kill them/keep numbers in check. When we do get some bigger ones in there they eat a lot of the fish pellets and are a pain to deal with when kids are fishing with bait. I’m paying to feed fish—not turtles.
                            I'm not feeding the fish but I think I'll take the 22 next time down for a little fun if nothing else.

Comment

If it is algae, treat 1/2 the pond with an algaecide and use a black dye pack.
                              Follow up with the other 1/2 2 weeks later.

Environmentalsolutions.com we provide all fisheries management services
                              Last edited by Sippy; 04-25-2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X