Downsizing after Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvd View Post
    You have 4 or 5 so the kids come home, that’s pretty much the focus for Momma. I could live in a camper on the coast but that matters not
    I’m a long way from retiring but am 2 and 4 years away from being 2/3ds an empty nest.

I remind them weekly the day they move out I’m turning ones room into a 2nd trophy room and the other a study

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      I’m a long way from retiring but am 2 and 4 years away from being 2/3ds an empty nest.

I remind them weekly the day they move out I’m turning ones room into a 2nd trophy room and the other a study
      When my parents went empty nest it only took 1 trip back home, unannounced like I always do, to learn to knock

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
        Each time I’ve upsized I’ve made good money and enjoyed a nicer house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        X2

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Bubba. That is exactly what we are doing. We bought a coastal lot and eventually going to build a small house. We are probably going to live South during the cold next winter. February. We really don’t have plans and when we travel we just pick a direction and go. Don’t even have return dates. It is awesome and there are some very reasonable places to rent out and about.
          This is our plan too. Thought about buying a home out of state that would be cooler during the hot Texas summer but decided we want the flexibility to go different places when we want and not have to keep up with a second home.
          On the selling everything and go RV only my suggestion would be to try it out first. Rent an RV and go give it a test run - my guess is that for many is sounds fun until you actually do it

Comment

We retire in 04 Kept home..RV around Wickinberg Az Oct-Mar 2y and Home rest of year,was fun no complaints just missed My shop and try to re-invent wheel and fishing ..Then we worked at Canyon lake 2y gate guards..it was close enough for drive home on days off and had plenty fish...Anyway conclusion was it was all good and would do it again BUT ...We Really missed Home..not so much Location but Shop /Garden/Home maint/Grass to mow etc and MOSQUITOES lol...I said location we near central tx coast ..and away from coast near lakes in TEX would be better...BUT

Comment

And try the RV before you go all in. I don’t care for it. Air BnB was the route we chose. We find small studio places and go. We never have a real plan and usually know where we are going to call home a short time before we get there. We have no place to live in June and we haven’t even started looking.

Comment

I have been keeping up with this thread and we are so blessed/lucky to have all the different choices to choose the direction for our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  There may be a little bit of truth to this. I've been married to my husband for 35(?) years and, frankly, I've said all I have to say to him.
                  Interesting.
                  I understand and maybe I am of the minority here but after retirement I felt the opposite. Now in my wife’s case she may feel differently.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                    Interesting.
                    I understand and maybe I am of the minority here but after retirement I felt the opposite. Now in my wife’s case she may feel differently.

I was being facetious, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      I was being facetious, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Of course. Sorry on my part and my comments.
                      Unfortunately I can and have been known to be “a stick in the mud” at times.
                      Last edited by tps7742; 04-25-2022, 06:32 AM.

Comment

i bought a place and shiner and have really enjoyed just sitting out there on the top of the hill under the trees in the breeze. my wife and i were out there yesterday and for several hours just hanging out. i do not have anything i have to do when i am there. we discussed the plan i have for selling off the front part in tracts and then keeping the back 25 acres. discussed building a barndominium and an guest barndo for the kids and how we'd utilize some of the barns and reuse some of the other wood for decor. sounded really good. i got to back to my current house and walked into the big shop at all my stuff and knew i also had a house full of stuff i still liked and and just looked at her and said, "I do not want to move". too much stuff

Comment

Love seeing everyone's ideas.

Comment

Our RV isn't large enough to live in full time and I have no desire to go larger. We are however, looking for a second home until my wife retires in a couple of years that will become our base for traveling with the RV. Nearer the Texas coast is primarily where we are looking. Though we wouldn't live in it, we would spend a lot of time in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                              Our RV isn't large enough to live in full time and I have no desire to go larger. We are however, looking for a second home until my wife retires in a couple of years that will become our base for traveling with the RV. Nearer the Texas coast is primarily where we are looking. Though we wouldn't live in it, we would spend a lot of time in it.

See I couldn’t imagine ever having an RV. I’d rather have a second or maybe even a third home before I spent money on a RV.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                                See I couldn’t imagine ever having an RV. I’d rather have a second or maybe even a third home before I spent money on a RV.

It has allowed us to go many places and stay. It goes somewhere every month. It's not for everyone but we love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X