No announcement yet.

Downsizing after Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it for five years. Saw all the lower 48. Wife started having some medical problems. Sold it and moved to Alaska to get out of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
      “Upsizing” is relative to what you expect/have. I own 2 4,000+ sf houses, one I live in, other on the coast, feel like I’m “downsized” compared to my 10,000 sf friends/family, am I right? My cousin lives in a rv and a skiff between Port Isabel and Key West, he downsized? It’s all relative, careful where you cast stones.

When I hear down size, I think empty nest. Why have a 4 or 5 bedroom house if the kids are gone and it's just 2 now.
      But you are correct, it's all relative. Also, alot of folks with more money than the next guy.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
        When I hear down size, I think empty nest. Why have a 4 or 5 bedroom house if the kids are gone and it's just 2 now.
        But you are correct, it's all relative. Also, alot of folks with more money than the next guy.
        You have 4 or 5 so the kids come home, that’s pretty much the focus for Momma. I could live in a camper on the coast but that matters not

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
          You have 4 or 5 so the kids come home, that’s pretty much the focus for Momma. I could live in a camper on the coast but that matters not

Thats why you don't have those rooms so they can't come back haha.
          I know what you mean tho, but always nice to have the family around.

Comment

We are out once the 14yo and 11yo hit college age. Small place in ATX, larger place up north in CO or Wy and larger place in SPI. Luckily my wife is all on board and frankly pushing it. She spends 8-10 weeks in SPi as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
              Do you even have to take them with you?
              Internet winner

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                Do you even have to take them with you?

Not if you plan it right….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                  Never upsized either. You only upsize to keep up with the jones's. Put the money in the bank and investments and retire early.
                  Not necessarily true. Paid 187k for a 3500 house and sold it 8 years later for 361k. Couldn't do that with a 1400 house. Didn't keep up with the Jones but beat them. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                    Never upsized either. You only upsize to keep up with the jones's. Put the money in the bank and investments and retire early.

Each time I’ve upsized I’ve made good money and enjoyed a nicer house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My aunt and uncle did this, then had failing health. They now live in an apartment so they can be close to the hospital. Don’t put all your nest eggs in one basket.

Comment

My brother and his wife hit the road for a few years and loved it. We retired in 2015, my wife retired a few years earlier. We take a couple vacations a year. We were fortunate to have most any option we chose to explore. We discussed the roady route, retirement to other retiree hotspots. We decided to stay involved with Family, grandkids but also had aging parental responsibilities. It’s not for everyone but it works for us. At the end of the day we sold our house in the suburbs moved to our property we have had since 99’ and built a home. We did upsize but in todays world of spray foam, led lights energy efficient our utilities are minimal.
                        I have returned back to work a couple of times on projects since retirement.
                        Good luck on you choices op.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            Each time I’ve upsized I’ve made good money and enjoyed a nicer house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            We did this also over our 40 plus years of being together. We are in our 4th house with the same results as you have mentioned. It’s easy for people to make assumptions but really don’t have a clue or really none of their business.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                              We did this also over our 40 plus years of being together. We are in our 4th house with the same results as you have mentioned. It’s easy for people to make assumptions but really don’t have a clue or really none of their business.
                              I think those kind o people are jealous because they don't make any money when they sell their doublewide.

Comment

In a similar situation and playing it out in my mind as to what my moves will be. Unlike the OP I am single and don’t have such a big house but it’s more house than I want to deal with.

Currently I am trying to figure out where my home base will be. Things I need/want are a place close to the coast for fishing and two, must be close to decent medical facilities as I am getting older every day.

In addition, I would love a smallish, off the grid “shack” up in the mountains somewhere. Kind of like a base camp to “explore” the northwest and Alaska. It’s a pipe dream for now but it’s what I am working towards.

Comment

Working...
                                X