Got my MRI results today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    Joe Rogan and Mel Gibson have a very interesting discussion on this subject.. Look up the video.

I’ll try to listen. I think Mel Gibson’s a wing nut—probably due to too much fame and too much peat in his Macallen—but I’m highly interested in the subject matter.

Comment

OP, sorry to hear abour your injury.

I can say i have a greaat empathy for you right now as I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my rhomboid.

Hope no issues with shooting your rifle.

Comment

My shoulder bothered me for 4 years, I couldn’t pick up a rock and throw it 10ft it hurt so bad and bothered me when I slept. Then one day pain just went away and hasn’t bothered me since. I hope everything turns out ok for ya!

Comment

Painful surgery and slow recovery. Do your PT. Healing to be pain free will take the better part of a year. You will question doing it for a while but it does get better.

Comment

I can sure empathize with you. I’m 16 weeks out of surgery on my right shoulder. Tore the rotator cuff completely off the bone and had to get it reattached. Had to completely open up the shoulder. It has not been a fun recovery. I’m only at a 3 pound weight lifting limit. This feels like it’s taking forever but I do see micro improvements almost daily. Therapy is not fun. This has put a serious kink in my hunting this year but several great TBHers have told me to give them a holler if I kill something and they will come help me. Lot of good folks around here.

PSA…if you’re old, don’t fall.

Comment

Ask your Doc about the depth and direction of the tears. If the tear is not deep, it can be debrided vs stitched up. The direction of the tears also make a huge impact. Ask about any impingements due to bone spurs (calcium build up). There are a lot of factors before considering surgery, PT and biologic treatments.

I've had both shoulders done. Both warranted labrum repair, bicep repair, joint clean up, bone spur removal and 2-3 rotator cuff repair. Right was much worse than the left. Dr recommended biologics in the left-PRP injection into two places and a stem cell injection into the joint. Understand what the recommended surgery entails and why.

The chances of healing a substantial tear(s) with PT and a couple of biologic treatments is slim and none. If the tears are not too bad, PT and a round of PRP and Stem cell injections are definitely an option.

There are plenty of good to great orthos in the DFW area. I prefer the Carrell Clinic due to their affiliation with multiple college and pro teams as well as PBR. I've had both shoulders and ankle done there, two of my kids play(ed) college ball. One hip surgery, one shoulder, an ankle, wrist and thumb have been the litany of ortho procedures they've had performed at the Carrell Clinic.

The key is finding a great PT clinic for rehab. If you walk in, and everyone is 60 and over, walk out. Find a place that specializes in return to active lifestyle and preferably has plenty of young athletes rehabbing. The place I used over the past 7 years has a constant flow of pro and college athletes rehabbing. Don't be satisfied with poor PT.

I recently had a two level neck fusion performed by an excellent surgeon, the in house PT clinic was terrible. I went back to my old place and the rehab was an 180 degree difference in approach and expectation.

Be diligent and smart about PT. A friend of mine who I used to shoot PRS with, had shoulder surgery and tried to shoot after 12 weeks despite being told he was a dumb a**. That trauma separated the repairs and he's about 50% going forward. Next up for him is a replacement.

Best of luck, shoulder surgery is an inconvenience and the pain is a matter of sucking up and driving forward. I'd take a couple weeks of post surgical discomfort any day over the pain I experienced pre surgery.

Comment

My BIL had this same deal done a couple years ago. He did not enjoy the process. This recovery time line seems accurate, and as stated above its gonna be on the painful side. I remember that sling after a week or so was driving him crazy.

Comment

Recliner or reclining bed is your friend for sleeping. Only had replacement, after 3 months I was released to do what I want. Was to scared to try my bow until 6 months. PT is your friend…. Even though it hurts
                  Getting other shoulder replaced next Tuesday
                  Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                    Having been through this myself i can offer some advice. 1. Get an ice therapy machine! They can be bought off Amazon. This will give you so much relief. 2. Sleep in a recliner. A power lift recliner is even better. 3. Do your therapy. Especially home therapy. 4. Take your pain meds on schedule. Do not wait until it hurts. It will hurt a lot! 5. Be patient. Thus is a long slow recovery.
                    Spot on here. I had my 4th surgery on my right shoulder yesterday. I'm hooked up to the ice therapy machine right now.

I've done 100x better on the recovery on the surgeries where I worked with a physical therapist in person vs the at home route. Have your doc write a script for in person PT post op.

Should surgery hurts like hell and its a long road to recovery. No way around it. But have a bum shoulder is no way to live so get it fixed and rehab it and try to steer clear of situations for re-injury.....which I've obviously had a hard time doing. LOL

Comment

ive had 2 rotator cuff surgeries. After the first one i quit doing therapy when the pain went away. Played ball and tore it again. After 2nd surgery i actually listened to dr and completed therapy. Listen to your dr.

Comment

Had a similar surgery years back. Time line sounds in line with what I experienced. Make sure you have a recliner available so you can sleep after the surgery; it’s hard to get comfortable lying down with your arm wrapped around your stomach with out risking injury by rolling on to the shoulder. I couldn’t sleep until I got a recliner.

Comment

Recliner, ice bags and ice therapy machines are a must for any shoulder surgery!

Good luck and listen to your DOC!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                            I'd say prp is great in the right candidate..
                            However if you are over 50 good chance u have impingement and that area was a chronic tear that will never heal right bc if the build up under the ac jt
                            Talk w a good regenerative doc that is well versed in mri and prp
                            I know several here in Austin if u need recs
                            I talked to his PA today and this what she said as well. I have had an impingement in this shoulder twice in the past and it has a lot of "build up". I am 58 and she said PRP was not really a good option for me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Are your RC tendons just partially torn or are they detached from the bone?
                              I am still recovering from a full reconstruction of my left shoulder back in April due to a fall that I took in late February where I tore every RC tendon from the bone(except one, it was just a partial tear)and both of by bicep tendons were ripped from the bone.. Ended up with 7 bone anchors, 2 months in a sling, 2 months of rehab before going back to work(not long enough)and I am still rehabbing today.. Still on a 20lb lifting restriction. I had a VERY good surgeon, Dr. Robert Fullick in Houston,(just 6 cuts 1/2" each)but it will be a year minimum before I am back to normal.. My physical therapists were even impressed with his skill..
                              PT is brutal but a MUST DO. You DO NOT want "frozen shoulder".. The first 2 months are the worst but it gets better.... I have worked with 5 different physical therapists and all have said that shoulder rehab is by far the worst out of ANY type of rehab, due to the many ranges of motion of the shoulder, and now I believe that. And the more extensive the surgery the worse it is..
                              Good luck. I wish I could tell you that its going to be fun but its quite the opposite..

Oh and buy a very comfortable recliner if you do not have one because you will be sleeping in it for 2-3 months.. The sling makes it virtually impossible to sleep in a bed.. Take your pain killers and some even smoke weed to cope while recovering from this surgery.. I didn't but I wont lie, there were a few days I wanted to give it a try.. I have a friend in New Braunfels who stayed high for 2 solid months because of shoulder surgery.. And he is not a weed smoker.. Pain will make a man step out of his norm..
                              This sounds dreadful. Hope mines not as bad as yours. Mine are just partially torn.
                              Oh and I have a great recliner. Slept in it when I was in a sling after elbow surgery several years ago.
                              Prayers for your continued recovery.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Sounds like I'm going to have to start drinking again!....jk
                                As I mentioned earlier, I had tendons reattached in my elbow several year ago and it was really painful. I had to sleep in my recliner for 2 months.
                                I'm not looking forward to this but I can't take this pain and discomfort anymore, not to mention being limited in the things I can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X