Something wrong with rifles these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    I’ve been hearing that quite a bit this season on properties within earshot of my lease - rapid multiple shots. I think it is an indication that the pig infestation is as bad in the whole area as it is on our lease
    Have the same thoughts. I guess a second shot helps with the tracking a deer, but 3,4?

Comment

Something wrong with rifles these days?

You are assuming its one hunter. We had the same thing going on the ranch bordering ours. Turned out to be a group of poachers. Cleared out the whole area and ruined the hunting for years. As a group in the same blind theyd open up on a group of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Ætheling; 11-18-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

You assume they’re shooting at deer. Deer = 1 shot. Hogs = don’t stop shooting til they’re all dead or out of sight.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          You assume they’re shooting at deer. Deer = 1 shot. Hogs = don’t stop shooting til they’re all dead or out of sight.
          I scared the poop out of the nearest neighbors to the south end of one ranch I worked on seven days a week. Popped hogs every day they were out in the open. Trapped plenty of them as well. One foggy morning I was shooting the hogs and it sounded to the neighbors like the shots were near their houses. They were shook up. I’m surprised they didn’t call the SO, but nobody was doing anything wrong.

Comment

When I first started hunting back in PA in the 80's lever action 30-30's were very popular. At day light the Monday after Thanksgiving when the season opened it sounded like a war zone as guys emptied their rifles on the first spike they saw. Then they would brag they got their buck; meanwhile it was full of holes and guys would be arguing over who shot last. It is why I stopped rifle hunting for a lot of years. The orange army, 1 million rifle hunters and many only hunted the first day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I’ve been hearing that quite a bit this season on properties within earshot of my lease - rapid multiple shots. I think it is an indication that the pig infestation is as bad in the whole area as it is on our lease
              I got 3 shots off in about 10 seconds at hogs with a bolt action. Turned around and all the way across the wheat field was another one so I shot once again.

I was out of bullets and didn’t care since there was 15 mins of shooting time left. Went back and got a strap to drag em off.

Another guy typically takes an AR10 and often gets off 3-5 shots at hogs. They’re everywhere on our lease.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                Lol

well not really, he hit his target!

Comment

You guys should take an opportunity to be in the woods near Warsaw, Mo on the opening day of rifle season. Sounds like a war zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                    Hey man those sleeves are pretty handy. I always completely unload my gun getting into and out of the stand and those sleeves are a convenient spot to put my shells. And I never have to worry about forgetting to put shells in my pocket
                    Sure, but I bet you don't have every slot full like this guy...I'm sure his magazine is maxed out too. Figure if I need more than two then I deserv to dig more out of hunting bag. Guessing maybe 15 magnum rounds in & on the gun??

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      Many years ago I was told:
                      1 shot - dead deer
                      2 shots - probably dead deer
                      3 shots - maybe dead deer
                      4 shots - no deer
                      They saying I was told was one step shorter but . . .
                      Maybe 12 years or more ago I was hunting in Missouri. Season was getting along and I decided to hunt a place where a couple draws go through a cousin's property. Sitting on the ridge between the two and watching the ends of both a nice 10 point came out of the one on the right. I missed him clean with my Winchester 30-06. He ran up the draw a ways, stopped and quartered to me. Next shot I hit the point of the near side shoulder. He took off across the ridge top from right to left at one point no more than 40 yards away. I shot three times as he crossed and the last time I squeezed the trigger it was on an empty chamber pointed at his butt as he went over the ridge crest.
                      My adrenaline was pumping full tilt and I was unable to find blood.
                      I rode back to the house on the ATV, got some more ammo and a target. Set it up at 100 yards. First shot was perfect, 1.5" high. I knew there was no way I missed that deer.
                      I went back and grid searched the draw he ran into and found him belly down at he base of a huge tree in a briar patch. Except for the first shot I missed I had hit him with all 4 other shots. Two rounds recovered under he off side skin. Both had retained over 90% of the bullet weight. All four had passed through the chest, two hard quartering.
                      He field dressed well over 200lbs.
                      I've seen too many guys lose deer with that one shot mentality. A friend had one get up and try to run off on him three times a couple weeks ago him thinking it was the last time every time and it finally died in a tank out in front of him.
                      I'll shoot til they drop even if I can get a second arrow in them.

Gary
                      Last edited by DRT; 11-18-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

http://<a href="http://s1383.photobu...tkzd.jpg"></a>Last weekend? Sorry, that was me!

Northwest corner of Travis county.
                        Last edited by TexOddball; 11-18-2018, 03:58 PM. Reason: Pic add

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Sure, but I bet you don't have every slot full like this guy...I'm sure his magazine is maxed out too. Figure if I need more than two then I deserv to dig more out of hunting bag. Guessing maybe 15 magnum rounds in & on the gun??
                          😂 ya that’s pretty excessive. I carry probably 5 at a time on average.

Maybe he just has a really target rich environment 🙂

Comment

Well I clearly don’t know how to add pics yet.

Comment

I was hunting with vendor and some other companies. I hear pew,pew,pew. Silence. Pew, pew, pew. Silence. Pew, pew, pew. Guy comes back to camp.... he shot at a branch/rock. I asked him if it not moving my had been a clue

Same weekend.... 6 shots. A 4 wheeler comes blazing into camp. Guy jumps off and yells I need a knife. He grabs it, jumps on 4 wheeler and takes off. He was hunting with a buddy, guy shot/ shot at spike. It could not get up Hill, so guy jumped on it and said give me your knife. His buddy did not have one so he came back to get one , while other guy hung on for dear life.

lost my appetite to go on those hunts. They finally quit asking

Comment

How about the idiots that drive all the way to their lease and then decide to sight the guns in. Had a group near me that did every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X