E Postcard Big Bend Quail Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E Postcard Big Bend Quail Hunt

We drew big bend for our quail hunt. Does anyone have any experience on going their?
    Is a high clearance vehicle really needed?
    How are the quail numbers etc?
    Thank y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A standard 4x4 pickup will work just fine.
    Not sure on bird numbers this year, call the office and they will let you know.
    Hunt the water, and keep your eyes for birds in the road.
    With no dogs its a tough hunt and not your traditional quail hunt but you should be able to find birds at water.

Comment

Wear your snake boots. If yall haven't booked accommodations yet, this place is awesome.

Comment

I always show up with three spare tires…..

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
          Wear your snake boots. If yall haven't booked accommodations yet, this place is awesome.

http://www.bigbendholidayhotel.com/rockhouse.html

I called the park and they said we could stay in their bunkhouse.
          I also asked about snakes and they said we should be fine since we will be going in late January.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
            I always show up with three spare tires…..

Are the roads that bad?
            The ranger i spoke with said we should be there during the time of the year the roads are typically better after the raining season

Comment

Yes be very prepared for flats. The ranch we hunted had a full tire shop in the out building and that does not help if you are 3 miles into the brush. I went twice a year for 18 years...

Comment

I've hunted Big Bend Ranch State Park twice in the past 5 years for mule deer. Well, one of the hunts was a youth hunt that my son won.

We stayed in the bunkhouse for the youth hunt. It is located at the headquarters which is about 30 miles from pavement. On my most recent hunt, which was back in December, I tent camped in my compartment.

During those hunts I was in the field for a total of five days from before sunup to end of legal shooting time. I saw three coveys.

You won't get flats on the roads. While rough in places, the roads aren't full of thorny brush. That being said, once you start down a road in your compartment you may have to end up driving it all the way through. In other words, if you decide to turn around, you'll end up off the road and driving over thorny brush.

You likely won't find blues on the roads, either. And unless there has been substantial rain, you won't find water.

Get out and walk. And walk some more. And then when you're good and tired, do some more walking. You may dummy into a covey or two.

There is a good chance that you'll be hunting in short sleeves and getting a truckers tan during the day and then waking up to below freezing temps at first light.

That all being said, should you go, you'll likely never hunt quail in a more scenic place.
                Last edited by Mule Skinner; 09-17-2021, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                  I've hunted Big Bend Ranch State Park twice in the past 5 years for mule deer. Well, one of the hunts was a youth hunt that my son won.

We stayed in the bunkhouse for the youth hunt. It is located at the headquarters which is about 30 miles from pavement. On my most recent hunt, which was back in December, I tent camped in my compartment.

During those hunts I was in the field for a total of five days from before sunup to end of legal shooting time. I saw three coveys.

You won't get flats on the roads. While rough in places, the roads aren't full of thorny brush. That being said, once you start down a road in your compartment you may have to end up driving it all the way through. In other words, if you decide to turn around, you'll end up off the road and driving over thorny brush.

You likely won't find blues on the roads, either. And unless there has been substantial rain, you won't find water.

Get out and walk. And walk some more. And then when you're good and tired, do some more walking. You may dummy into a covey or two.

There is a good chance that you'll be hunting in short sleeves and getting a truckers tan during the day and then waking up to below freezing temps at first light.

That all being said, should you go, you'll likely never hunt quail in a more scenic place.

Sounds like an adventure!
                  I spoke to Park management and they said they have had plenty of rainfall this year and every
                  Thing is very green.
                  I'm plan in on taking camping gear in case we draw a compartment far from the bunkhouse
                  If not most likely stay in the bunkhouse

Comment

The 4x4 roads are overgrown and full of sharp rocks. Plan on paint scratches, I run E rated tires and make sure I have a plug and compressor with me. Be sure you are setup to change a flat on the trail. You are miles away from anything and no cell service. These are for the 4x4 roads, the others are wide and maintained. Have a blast, I love that place

Comment

Working...
                    X