Tent camping in the summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    I camp in Texas year round. I will not ground tent camp in the summer though. I either hammock camp or camp in my roof top tent. Preferably the RTT. You’d be amazed how much cooler it is 7’ off the ground. It’s not really the temperature but the airflow. Much better airflow keeps you a lot more comfortable. Hammock camping is bearable most nights. I’ll ground tent it in the winter.
    Im inspired to achieve 7’.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      I camp in Texas year round. I will not ground tent camp in the summer though. I either hammock camp or camp in my roof top tent. Preferably the RTT. You’d be amazed how much cooler it is 7’ off the ground. It’s not really the temperature but the airflow. Much better airflow keeps you a lot more comfortable. Hammock camping is bearable most nights. I’ll ground tent it in the winter.

Hammock camping is much cooler than a tent. We hammock camp on our river trips and have been comfortable, even in July and August. A breeze coming off the river helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Im inspired to achieve 7’.
        Just under 7’. The top of my truck roof is right at 7’. This is in Montana a couple weeks ago, so I had all our windows closed up. It was cool enough I didn’t need the breeze. In Texas all 4 windows stay wide open with just the screens zipped up. Plenty comfortable rain or shine.
        Attached Files

Comment

Spent the summer in the Amazon jungle years ago. Hammock is the way to go. You'll sleep cool especially if you can have a fan.

Comment

Don't..................just ,don't.

Comment

If your dead set on camping in a tent any time before October, I would pitch it somewhere there is a draw or canyon deep enough to notice the temperature drop. Use leaves or pine straw if there is any to keep the floor of the tent off the ground, and you can cut branches with plenty of vegetation on them to surround the tent and make a "hut" around it to help insulate it. Would be a lot of work for one or two nights but how bad do you want to sleep in a tent. Your a/c will work really well with all of this done to the camp site.

If you dont want to put in the work, DONT do it until October or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                “But how does one insulate the tent?” You serious, Clark?

Excellent placement my friend One of my favorite movie series.

They had to replace my metal plate with a plastic one. Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave, I’d **** my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by 9452772 View Post
                  Your A/C will be fine if you can rig it to work with the tent and be sealed to keep skeeters out. It will basically run non stop but will work if blowing across you. As far as insulating, they make large insulated space type blankets that you can put around the tent that will help a little. If the tent can support the weight which it probably can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                  Tents heat and cool very well, they just don’t retain it when you shut them off.
                  Yes.

Yes.

.. and to the other such comments. Yes a room A/C will keep a tent (unless it is huge, then 2 units) cool. The best option is to place it in the shade and if there isn’t any, create your own. Get a big awning or find a place to hang a tarp and make your own shade.

I went to sw Missouri for 23 years in August when the Vietnamese Catholics had a pilgrimage each year (missing the last 2 for Covid), celebrating the Virgin Mary. That area is a brutal with a daytime highs in the upper 90s with high humidity. In fact a lot of places in Texas that think it’s hot, should travel to southwest Missouri in August.

About 90 to 100,000 Vietnamese show up every year and most stay on the church grounds (about 30 acres) in tents. Most place a tent under the trees or make their own shade with an awning or hanging tarps. Some used large fans to keep cool but others rig tent with air condition unit. I have been inside of a couple and they can get fairly cold. Most of them build a small platform big enough to set the window unit maybe a foot off of the ground.

Comment

If you do use an AC, make sure you put it on a downhill slope or somewhere it will drain. You will be surprised at how much water it puts off.

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                      Go to west Texas to avoid major night time humidity. Or, go northwest enough to get away from the heat. A campsite with electricity will allow for the fan, and that’s often enough to get you through the night. Without electricity, battery operated or solar powered tent fans can keep it somewhat comfy.
                      Watch out for those copper mouthed snattle rakes!!

Comment

Tent AC

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                        a portable A/C will work for you just fine. keep it running. seal your flex hose around the tent. in fact since it runs all night and the temp falls you can freeze your brass blls by morning sometimes
                        Thats what I would do; most have 2 hoses ,1 4" to 6" thats gota vent outside a couple ft up..and another 1/2"condensate hose that gota drain to ground or reservoir and you dump now and then.. I hear some have only the big hose and condensate goes out that way ...but never dealt with that kind..

Comment

We did an overnight last June in the Davey Crockett. I think what made it doable was finding a high spot with a breeze. Even got a little chilly at night.

Last time I camped in the dead heat of summer was a river floating trip. On the second day I told my wife we could either go to a hotel or head to the house. I wasn't trying to sleep covered in sweat again.

Comment

I try and camp at a campsite with electric and water. Try to find one with a breeze. I sleep on a cot so up off the ground where a better breeze is. I then bring a box fan and let it blow on me. Sleeping bag on top of cot then a bed sheet and one more to cover up with. Either take a shower right before bed or just rinse off at the camp site. You will sleep just fine. Hell if you wait on the weather to cool off in Texas you might not to get to camp.

Comment

I did an August weekend camp in Nacogdoches about 10 years ago and I will never forget it. It was so unbearably hot both inside and outside the tent. Its like the red dirt soil was emitting UV radiation and heat all night. You could put you hand down and feel it emitting. Our clothes never stayed dry the whole weekend. We slept in the truck all night with the AC on. Never again.

Comment

Just drive North about 15 hours and enjoy yourself. Otherwise wait until daytime temps are under 90

Comment

Working...
                                X