Stabilizing .308 175SMK and 185 Juggernaut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stabilizing .308 175SMK and 185 Juggernaut

Will a 20” barreled .308 with 1 in 10 twist stabilize the 175 Sierra MatchKing and the 185 grain Berger Juggernaut?

The below Berger Twist Rate Stability Calculator allows you to identify what the optimal twist rate and the marginal twist rate is for any given bullet given your shooting conditions. This tool allows you to figure out which bullets will stabilize out of your rifle given your rifle's twist rate. This tool also helps

I checked velocity as low as 2400 with the 185 Juggernaut and 10 twist. It wasn’t even close to marginal you should be good to go.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Mine does pretty good.

Not as accurate as the 168’s, but not bad.

Comment

Shot roughly 150 deer (head shots) on the golf course here a couple years back with 175 Matchking subsonic hand loads out of a 16.5” 1-10. It did just fine with em. 10.1 grains of Trailboss, Lapua brass with .002 neck tension just in case you wanted to give it a shot. Was getting 1010-1020 FPS +/-

Comment

175gr is the only thing my 16 inch barrel 308 likes.

Comment

Have you shot 168s? What’s your twist?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                  Have you shot 168s? What’s your twist?
                  I haven’t. I just got the gun and haven’t shot it yet. 1 in 10 twist.

Comment

With a 1/10 I personally wouldn't shoot anything under 168 grain unless it was free ammo and just playing. My SPS Tactical LOVES 178 AMAX. Consistently shoots under 1/2" at 100. Faster twist usually stabilizes larger bullets better.

Comment

Working...
                    X