Planting without Discing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    I have about any piece of equipment made... I’ll never plow again in my plots. I do spray and it helps a lot

I’d spend my money on an atv sprayer over a disk any day.
    This

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
      I spray and then broadcast seed about a week or so later. I dont mow because I want the thatch to act as mulch n top of the seed. The key for me is to wait til the weather is right - forecast of 2-3 days of rainy weather. That keeps the seed from drying out before it sprouts. a 2' rain followed by a week of 90 degree heat wont do much for germination unless the seed is under the soil's surface. Wheat, oats, clover, radishes, turnips. I do it every fall in early October.
      I want the dead thatch over my seeds. I also plant late in the year end of oct to insure they don’t sprout and die of thirst

Comment

All good points

I haven't tilled/disced in 6 years

I dont spray as most weeds are at the end of their growing season when i plant first week of october

Just broadcast and mow

bill

Comment

Been doing it this way for several years. Broadcast your seeds and fertilizer, then bush hog it down. Wheat, oats, and cereal rye. Smaller seeds do better. Put out more seed than normal. You can spray first but I have found that its just an extra step that is not needed most of the time.

Comment

I notice you guys spread your seed and fertilizer before you mow. I thought you would want to mow the weeds down first. I was going to start this process this weekend but too much rain.

4 hour drive for me. But it's a holiday for me. I'm going. I will fill feeders and cut brush at least. Any other recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
              I notice you guys spread your seed and fertilizer before you mow. I thought you would want to mow the weeds down first. I was going to start this process this weekend but too much rain.

4 hour drive for me. But it's a holiday for me. I'm going. I will fill feeders and cut brush at least. Any other recommendations?
              Broadcasting seeds into the standing weeds...they will make their way down to the dirt through the weeds....they need to contact soil. Same with fertilizer...it will fall through to the soil where it will be utilized. Then you mow the weeds over the top and the thatch will settle on top of the seeds. Its like an incubator for the seeds....holds moisture (dew) and protects from birds until they sprout.

If you mow first a good portion of the seeds won't make it to the soil....they will just sit on top of the thatch.

It works great for fall plots.....really the best way to go other than drilling.

Comment

I have less than 1% sit on top of thatch. It falls through. If any did the first drop of rain would knock it through. Either way will work, but never had that be a factor

Comment

The last two years we have broadcasted wheat and oats at around 100lbs/acre (total) and around 100lbs of 16-20-0 fertilizer/acre After broadcasting, we mow the fields with that tractor, and then take a UTV cultipacker over everything at the end. It’s worked pretty good. It’s not as good as disking the soil but I hate disking the soil bc it takes so much time and increases erosion.

Comment

It is so easy to spray with an atv sprayer. I would consider that If I were you...

Comment

You guys that are broadcasting and mowing, what's your broadcast rate? Pounds per acre?

Comment

I broadcast 50-100 lbs/ac of oats, wheat, or elbon rye plus a couple lbs clover and turnips or radishes. I'm planning to go with a Turner seed mix again this fall with all the above seeds and do ~75lb/ac out of the 3-pt spreader in late Sept/Oct 1 with rain. Worked great last year.

Comment

Elbon rye will grow in your truck bed with a little water. As said above time it before a rain and you’ll do great with any of the small seeds like rye, wheat, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                            You guys that are broadcasting and mowing, what's your broadcast rate? Pounds per acre?

I go pretty heavy when doing throw and mow. For cereal rye, I’ll broadcast about 125lbs/acre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mlmtx01 View Post
                              I drill oats directly almost like having a no till drill in places. I have a disked oat field, but on other places near stands and places I want deer to stop I drill it directly throught the grass. If we get rain, it comes up great.
                              This is the best way to not disc the ground and plant anything? I sure would like to have one!

Broadcasting, I would think you/we are loosing 30percent, at least, of the seed broadcasted.

Comment

Do any of y’all use a Ranger or AtV to broadcast the oats / rye seed? If so what product are you using? I Will need to buy something - have seen pull behind spreaders & the powered ones that can mount in your hitch. None of them get great reviews, but it will be better than the nothing we’ve had the past few years. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X