Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Frame Rate = Super Slow Mo Kill Shot on MMR Doe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy your YouTube channel...I liked that slow mo shot!

Sony A7S III
    Dang man that's a dream camera and $3500 bucks too LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
      Why? That's sick & wrong! Gross besides.
      I'm almost afraid to ask...but please elaborate.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
        I enjoy your YouTube channel...I liked that slow mo shot!

Dang man that's a dream camera and $3500 bucks too LOL!
        Yep. Fortunately I'm often able to make some extra cash with my camera from freelance projects that I typically use to fund gear. And, of course, there's all that YouTube channel revenue from the hunting videos I upload!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I'm almost afraid to ask...but please elaborate.
          I don't understand putting fresh meat into contact with water, even if the water is frozen. It's new to me I guess.

Please elaborate on the thought process of doing it that way?

Comment

The goal is to get the heat out of the meat as quickly as possible. Ideally, that would be hanging in a walk in cooler, as we are able to do at CDLC. Absent that, the choice is pretty much put it in a cooler with ice (we often use frozen cartons) or leave it in the 80-90 degree Texas heat where it begins spoiling immediately. Now which option sounds more gross?

I know it’s much cooler temps up there, but how do y’all care for your fresh meat when it’s unseasonably warm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I know it’s much cooler temps up there, but how do y’all care for your fresh meat when it’s unseasonably warm?
              We use whatever we can to cool meat when it's warm or hot; freezer (works great for bear) extra fridge or ice. But either the meat or the ice is contained so that water NEVER makes contact with the meat. That is what is new to me - direct contact between meat and water. How long do you leave the meat on the ice?

One thing we usually have going for us is the temps cool off at night here. Not always though. One year on the last day of a hunt in October, when we had a freakish 90° day, both my brother and I arrowed deer. Due to the time constraints we were up against, we butchered and processed both deer while they were still warm. Not a good scenario and we knew it. That meat tasted no different then the deer that we put up properly that year!

Comment

Comment

We use whatever we can to cool meat when it's warm or hot; freezer (works great for bear) extra fridge or ice. But either the meat or the ice is contained so that water NEVER makes contact with the meat. That is what is new to me - direct contact between meat and water. How long do you leave the meat on the ice?

One thing we usually have going for us is the temps cool off at night here. Not always though. One year on the last day of a hunt in October, when we had a freakish 90° day, both my brother and I arrowed deer. Due to the time constraints we were up against, we butchered and processed both deer while they were still warm. Not a good scenario and we knew it. That meat tasted no different then the deer that we put up properly that year!

It’s not unusual for people to keep venison packed in ice for up to a week (draining water off, of course.)

Like you’ve mentioned, I’ve seen and tasted little difference in meat chilled and kept dry vs that kept on ice.

Perhaps other can chime in, as well. It’s common practice here.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Been letting deer sit in a cooler of ice for decades. Got one in the cooler now from a nice buck my son shot last weekend. Whatever meat touches the water turns slightly gray...but doesn't impact the flavor or quality at all. I think people get confused...you don't soak meat in ice water....you let it sit in ice that is constantly draining. Very little of the meat is contacted by water. Not everyone is blessed with a walk in cooler.

Comment

I don't understand putting fresh meat into contact with water, even if the water is frozen. It's new to me I guess.

Please elaborate on the thought process of doing it that way?
                      It’s just how a lot of them do it in the south, i can’t believe it either, but it’s the norm with sooooo many here. I have gotten into this with guys in the past, curious to see how this plays out. Venison tofu is what we normally call it, or just grey slimy meat. When we processed meat for people, we new when they brought deer and elk soaked in ice water, they were from Texas the majority of the time, and from the south all the time. It’s either that, or it hung in a walk in for several weeks and almost always still had the hide on. It’s amazing how things are done differently around the country. I just don’t understand why people do it with venison, and would never even consider doing it with beef or domestic pork. Don’t need a walk in cooler for venison( not enough fat to benefit from aging, once rigor mortise sets in that’s as tender as it’s going to get) field dress where it drops, at least quarter it, straight to ice chest with frozen milk jugs waiting in side by side or truck ( get the meat cooled down ASAP) get back to camp and straight in chest freezer. Meat comes out great ( as long as it hasn’t been dead for hours and hours, I read one that was over 12 hours without gutting or skinning) don’t loose as much meat to trimming and it tastes like meat should. We would trim so much grey meat that guys would complain we shorted them meat, but all the grey and slime we would add to burger. Many wanted the grey meat still on the steaks, roasts hence the reason we started calling it tofu. I have eaten it this way, it looks worse then it tastes once it’s cooked, just way different ways of taking care of meat depending what part of the country your in. Many do it to try and remove gameness, when its improperly taken of in the field ( waiting for hours to field dress, and riding around in the vehicle and failing to get it cooled down). But obviously it is an ok, traditional, method of doing it because a ton of people do it that way and like it. I believe in some states you can’t quarter or bone them out in field, that would suck.
                      Last edited by critter69; 11-06-2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

It’s not unusual for people to keep venison packed in ice for up to a week (draining water off, of course.)

Like you’ve mentioned, I’ve seen and tasted little difference in meat chilled and kept dry vs that kept on ice.

Perhaps other can chime in, as well. It’s common practice here.

Growing up we caped our deer and put cheese cloth type bags on them to keep flies off and we never died from it. For the last 30 years we have skipped gutting and simply get them quartered and on ice ASAP with drain open. ,eat sometimes stays iced for 7-10days. Our meat now tastes much better!

Comment

This is turning into an interesting discussion. Seems like game care is a regional thing.

Comment

I also try to get my meat in the cooler as soon as possible, but.... I do not put it directly on ice. I use food-grade plastic bags to put the meat in. If it's warm still, I leave the bag open inside the cooler but above the ice. Once it is cooled down, I close the bags water tight. I age my meat this way for at least 10 days, but prefer 2 weeks.

When you get a deer skinned, it is surgically clean. ANYTHING you add to the meat introduces unnecessary and potentially harmful bacteria. I see people actually hose down a skinned deer with a water hose... Never understood what the purpose for that is short of washing the cavity down from a gut-shot deer. seldom do I ever gut a deer if I can get it to the skinning shed quickly. Guts stay in the boned out carcass. If there is an area where the arra went thru or something that has coagulated blood in it, I try to cut most of it out, and if necessary, once taken off the carcass, I will wash off that area, but usually I do not do that.
                            Once the meat is ready for processing, it is removed from the bags and either vacuum sealed in whole muscles or pre-sliced for steaks and then vacuum sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                              It’s just how a lot of them do it in the south, i can’t believe it either, but it’s the norm with sooooo many here. I have gotten into this with guys in the past, curious to see how this plays out. Venison tofu is what we normally call it, or just grey slimy meat. When we processed meat for people, we new when they brought deer and elk soaked in ice water, they were from Texas the majority of the time, and from the south all the time. It’s either that, or it hung in a walk in for several weeks and almost always still had the hide on. It’s amazing how things are done differently around the country. I just don’t understand why people do it with venison, and would never even consider doing it with beef or domestic pork. Don’t need a walk in cooler for venison( not enough fat to benefit from aging, once rigor mortise sets in that’s as tender as it’s going to get) field dress where it drops, at least quarter it, straight to ice chest with frozen milk jugs waiting in side by side or truck ( get the meat cooled down ASAP) get back to camp and straight in chest freezer. Meat comes out great ( as long as it hasn’t been dead for hours and hours, I read one that was over 12 hours without gutting or skinning) don’t loose as much meat to trimming and it tastes like meat should. We would trim so much grey meat that guys would complain we shorted them meat, but all the grey and slime we would add to burger. Many wanted the grey meat still on the steaks, roasts hence the reason we started calling it tofu. I have eaten it this way, it looks worse then it tastes once it’s cooked, just way different ways of taking care of meat depending what part of the country your in. Many do it to try and remove gameness, when its improperly taken of in the field ( waiting for hours to field dress, and riding around in the vehicle and failing to get it cooled down). But obviously it is an ok, traditional, method of doing it because a ton of people do it that way and like it. I believe in some states you can’t quarter or bone them out in field, that would suck.

Put those frozen milk cartons on the cabinet for a few minutes and convince me again how water doesn’t touch the meat.

Soaking meat in ice water isn’t a good idea. IMO. But packing in ice and allowing water to drain doesn’t damage the meat. Most of a skinned/quartered deer is still protected by silver skin and membrane that protects the flesh. The notable exceptions are part of the backstrap and tenders, but the silver skin on the backstraps can be placed in contact with the ice and not have issues. We don’t have a deep freeze at the MMR, so our options are ice or ambient South Texas temperatures.

So when do you process the frozen quarters? Obviously they have to be thawed first, so I assume you are then refreezing the cuts? To me, that is a foreign concept - and something most people would never consider doing with beef of domestic pork. But seriously, how do you transport and process after the quarters are frozen?

I appreciate and am enjoying the discussion!

Last edited by Michael; 11-07-2020, 08:43 AM.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                I also try to get my meat in the cooler as soon as possible, but.... I do not put it directly on ice. I use food-grade plastic bags to put the meat in. If it's warm still, I leave the bag open inside the cooler but above the ice. Once it is cooled down, I close the bags water tight. I age my meat this way for at least 10 days, but prefer 2 weeks.

When you get a deer skinned, it is surgically clean. ANYTHING you add to the meat introduces unnecessary and potentially harmful bacteria. I see people actually hose down a skinned deer with a water hose... Never understood what the purpose for that is short of washing the cavity down from a gut-shot deer. seldom do I ever gut a deer if I can get it to the skinning shed quickly. Guts stay in the boned out carcass. If there is an area where the arra went thru or something that has coagulated blood in it, I try to cut most of it out, and if necessary, once taken off the carcass, I will wash off that area, but usually I do not do that.
                                Once the meat is ready for processing, it is removed from the bags and either vacuum sealed in whole muscles or pre-sliced for steaks and then vacuum sealed.

I typically vacuum seal each cut in its whole form, including backstraps (although I may cut them in half or thirds now that we’re empty nesters! ). This gives me more flexibility with how I use them. I can pull a package of bottom round and slice thin for jerky, put it in a slow cooker for a roast (there are other cuts more useful for this), slice, slice for “dog turds”, cube for stew or freshly grind for burger, sausage or chili.
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X