Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Thumb Sucking

I can't stop.... lol KIDDING

My son is getting to where it is non stop.

He is 6 and it didn't start till he was about 3. It used to be only while watching TV or Sleeping but it has gotten worse and worse.

We put that fingernail polish on his fingers but he gets it off and right back to it.

I have heard of a dental implant that blocks the thumb. Who has done this?

Just looking for some advice on what we can try before the dental route.

Thanks!

a little jalapeno on his finger maybe? That might be considered child abuse now, but it used not to be.

Comment

Repeated whacks with belt for non-compliance of the first requests.

Comment

Dip his thumb in Syrup of ipecac. J/K

Comment

Put some Tabasco on it. Not really. My son is just starting a bit and he is 4??? Found out a friend from school still sucks her thumb so he is picking it up there.....darn kids

Comment

Crowds are rough on the kids today!! haha

Comment

Maybe put a glove on his hand? no clue really luckily none of mine ever did it, but I have heard at that age it is a hard habit to stop.

Comment

My wife always said she would put "nail bitter" on my fingers if I didn't quit messing with them. Maybe that would help?

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                  Maybe put a glove on his hand? no clue really luckily none of mine ever did it, but I have heard at that age it is a hard habit to stop.
                  And only getting worse.

We have been on him and working on it since he picked it up but still losing the battle.

Kid is strong willed.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                    Dip his thumb in Syrup of ipecac. J/K

Comment

I had the dental implant when I was younger and it made me stop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                        My wife always said she would put "nail bitter" on my fingers if I didn't quit messing with them. Maybe that would help?

This is what we have been using.

Its awful, HORRIBLE taste. It will work for some hours but he always seems to get it off and right back to it.

Comment

Cone of shame maybe?

Comment

Use the great parenting method of LYING, lol. I had to tell my little girl that at night weird little night bugs came out when she was sleeping and pooped all over her fingers and if she sucked them, she would get that in her mouth and it would lead to bugs crawling out of her butt to get out. LOL. But it is working for last 6 weeks. I don't know why I came up with that, but it works haha

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                              Use the great parenting method of LYING, lol. I had to tell my little girl that at night weird little night bugs came out when she was sleeping and pooped all over her fingers and if she sucked them, she would get that in her mouth and it would lead to bugs crawling out of her butt to get out. LOL. But it is working for last 6 weeks. I don't know why I came up with that, but it works haha
                              love it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X