TPWD Draw Hunts Catalog is up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Draw Hunts Catalog is up!

Looks like you cant apply yet, but let the dreaming begin! Good luck all.

Looks close to last year's cat.

Comment

If I remember right, you didn't need to win on the applications. You got picked for some prime standbys

Comment

I'll look it over when I get off work. I got a few places I almost always apply for so I'm sure I'll do those again. Maybe something new will jump out at me. I have up to 8 points in some categories

My daughter is 17 now so she'll have to apply as an adult with me (we'll apply together).

My son is 14 and has up to 5 points in youth categories he hasn't drawn for. He's had decent luck drawing hunts so maybe that's going to continue.

Comment

It looks like the proficiency test will be in effect for the Hag. Hopefully, it will weed out the less than proficient.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I went and checked it out, looks like you can apply now.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
              If I remember right, you didn't need to win on the applications. You got picked for some prime standbys
              Haha, yes sir! If only I had your luck on the actual hunt itself! Burning a lot of time on my NM elk hunt this year, so my opportunities at stand bys will be slim this season.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                It looks like the proficiency test will be in effect for the Hag. Hopefully, it will weed out the less than proficient.

You can shoot all 8s at 30 yard max...I wouldn't really call that "Proficiency".

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                  You can shoot all 8s at 30 yard max...I wouldn't really call that "Proficiency".
                  True that, but when I took my bowhunter education class a few years ago, most of the group couldn't hit the broadside of a barn including one guy with a crossbow.

Comment

Not open.................don't bother.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post

so why does none of the other hunts call for it?

Comment

You can apply now, but it appears the site is getting slammed with traffic. It kicked me out with a cart full of groceries.

Comment

Wasted my money.....again.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            so why does none of the other hunts call for it?
                            Because non of the other hunts regulate it as Hagerman has over the years, that is what has made it special over the years vs. a draw and show up affair. The nice woman that runs the place knows what works- and what doesn't. If I had it my way- all would do the same, remember, this is the government.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                              Ok. Doug asked you to elaborate on the other thread, so I'll ask here. Why would being able to put your arrow through the vitals of a deer (all 8's) every time not be considered proficient to you? Pretty sure that's a dead deer every time. And, as you stated on the other thread, how would counting 12 or 11 ring scoring as part of the proficiency test translate to hitting the vitals of a deer? I'm not trying to argue. I'm genuinely curious as to your rational.

I agree, it's not a difficult test, especially using a rangefinder. However, 12 ring 3d course accuracy isn't needed to be a proficient hunter if one recognizes ones limits and takes reasonable shot opportunities based upon those limits and the physiological behaviors of the animal. And, rangefinders are legal for hunting last time I checked. I've certified proficiency for an awful lot of folks for the H hunt over the last 17 years. Some don't pass and need to do some work before hunting with a bow. Others are plenty effective inside a given range, say 20 yards. Others will hit a 12 ring from any distance. Of course, animals don't have 12 rings and they move, ergo knowing your limits.

Now, to log on and see if everyone has let the draw site cool down a bit so I can make my TPWD donation for this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X