Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s be honest. Why do you really hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s be honest. Why do you really hunt.

I’m curious to hear y’all’s responses. I’m sure there will be several common denominators in the reply’s. In fact I’m sure of it. Let me say first that hunting and fishing was part of my life since I was old enough to remember. My dad never left the house to go fishing or hunting without his two sons. And for that I’m eternally grateful. It was really a way of life for us back in that era as we kept our freezers full of wild game and fish and that’s what we lived on most of the time. I love being in the outdoors and witnessing all of Gods creations and that’s when I feel closest to God knowing that he has allowed me to live the way I have wanted to live and witness nature in all of its glory to him. I love the challenge and dedication that goes into maintaining a good piece of property and managing it to reach its full potential. The adrenaline when you first see your target buck for the first time other than on camera and hoping that he will present you with the right opertunity. I love shooting pigs year round and keeping my freezer stocked with pork and making sausage just so I can give it all away to my staff. I have experienced so many hunting camp memories with close friends and family and can draw on those memories now of those that have passed away. Great memories. Fun memories. For me it is a tradition and lifestyle that I have sometimes taken for granted not realizing that everyone is not as fortunate as us to be able to experience these traditions due to economic hardships or physical hardships or for many other reasons beyond those. But for me, my number one reason and I truly mean it when I say it, is to just escape the world even if it’s just for a few hours. I’m fortunate enough to have a lease 15 minutes from home and work and when things get a little heavy I can just take a little ride around the place and come back to work and be a new person. Total escape just for a few minutes. I normally employ around 20 people and in today’s world you are more like a baby sitter than an employer. So much drama with the workers today. It makes my head want to explode. And if you’re having a bad hair day you call in sick. Well I’m sorry for getting sidetracked. But for me just the peace and solitude of the woods and water is why I get up and leave a perfectly warm bed to brave the elements. Why do you?

Because I can’t NOT HUNT ! I love the chase and I love the meat. The kill is just something I have to do to get the meat so I don’t complicate it. No 700 yard shots for me, don’t need any bragging rights. Headgear is less important than it ever was. At 74 years old, I can sit all day with a little break around noon if conditions are right.

Comment

Because I want to

Comment

Because I like too.

Comment

There are hunters and there are gatherers. I am a hunter. Which one are you?

Comment

Might as well ask me why I keep my arms. I have friends who hunt because it's something to do, or a camp to get drunk at. Like a lot of us, it's a heritage. We don't need the meat. But I can't see a life without it. If there is a heaven, and I believe that's true, I can't imagine an existence without it. I'm not sure there's hunting there and I don't know where that'll leave me. I really don't want a mansion or streets paved in gold. A cabin on the edge of heaven, a good dog, and plenty of room to roam.

Comment

Instinct.

Comment

It started with "I have to get the big one". Then it changed to " I'm teaching my son to enjoy hunting". Now it's just enjoying time outdoors. Son is the hunter now. I pass on most animals but but enjoy seeing the world wake up & being out there. I definitively spend too much money just for the pleasure. I like the camp, the cooking, the folks there, the excitement of someone getting a good deer. Money well spent. I'm 61 now.

Comment

Yes for food. Yes to teach my daughter. Yes for the memories.

But in all honesty it is my escape from the day to day BS that wears you down. It is my time to really connect with the Man upstairs in the way that I want to as well as appreciate his creation. It’s my time to reflect on things going on in my life and ponder life decisions. Hunting and fishing are the only places I can truly do that.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

The places it takes me, the people I meet and the food on my plate.

Comment

It makes me feel like a normal person again.

Comment

Because it is good for my soul. Seriously nothing better than in the stand watching God's creation away from all the crap from the city and all the negative news on TV. For those couple days away...I'm free and it recharges me.

Comment

Because I can.

Comment

I enjoy the hunt and the get away. I typically hunt 20-40 days a season and it doesn't matter to me if I have tag soup at the end of the season. It more fun when others are hunting. When we're hunting and I hear a shot and/or someone tells me they've shot something, my hunt is over and I go help track and clean the kill.

Comment

Hunting is secondary for me....
                              comradery, campfire, telling stories, peacefulness, silence in stand...

I dont do social media the entire time I am there....its nice for me

If I dont see a thing it was still a successful hunt for me

Comment

Working...
                              X