Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsession/Xpedition/Mathews/Hoyt/Martin/PSE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obsession/Xpedition/Mathews/Hoyt/Martin/PSE...

With my recent close call on my bow, it got me thinking about back ups and eventually upgrading and with all the brands out there, how do you choose?? I know its all about how the bow feels to you when you shoot it but, How can you make a sound call and shoot all the different brands when not one shop carries them all? I am a fan of the "little guy" when it comes to certain things and being able to buy a Mathews brand bow in every shop I walk into doesn't make me want to pick one up, not that there is anything wrong with the bows (don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, lol). So what would be the best course of action to make sure I shoot them all? A list to name a few.. If anyone has any experience shooting any of the below brand, please post up your experience.

Alpine
    Athens
    Bear
    Bowtech
    Darton
    Elite
    G5 (Prime, Quest)
    High Country
    Hoyt
    Mathews (easy)
    Martin
    Moxie
    Obsession
    PSE
    Xpedition

I've owned or shot 6 of the brands you listed (Elite, Hoyt, Prime, Mathews, Bowtech, PSE). Elite is my personal favorite followed by Hoyt. I have yet to shoot an Obsession or Xpedition but want to as I hear great things. The only Mathews I have owned is a Triax and it was my least favorite bow that I've had. I wasn't a fan of the Bowtech draw cycle either but I haven't shot multiple models of that brand. The bow shop I go to mainly sells Mathews but also sells Elite, Hoyt, and Bowtech. I haven't found anyone close to try the Xpedition or Obsession.
    Last edited by Pineywoods; 09-29-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

You’re gonna have a tough time trying to find all of those brands within a reasonable distance from Corpus.

The guys at Brush to Bay in Halletsville (they’re a sponsor here on TBH) carry Mathews, Hoyt, and Bear.

I’m gonna be there all day Saturday if you want to make the drive. I’d be happy to put some bows in your hands. I’ll even bring my personal Xpedition MX-16 for you to try out.

Comment

Buy a Bear.

Cheaper than others and will kill just as much. Advertising/name brand is all just "hype", imo.

With that said.....
        I shoot an Obsession.

Comment

i am shooting an obsession evolution right now and love it, i have had it for 5-6 years and dont plan on switching any time soon.

Comment

I bought a Pse last year. Love it, the evolve cam system is very efficient and is smooth and produces a lot of speed

Comment

Everybody makes a good bow now.

I've always went against the grain, I think it is just that since my family has a small business I've always just wanted to support the small guys.

I've never once even considered a Mathews or Bowtech. Obviously they make great bows they just don't even cross my mind when I'm shopping.

I shoot an Athens and love it.

Comment

I have bought and sold many different used bows just to try them out. I’ve only hunted with 4 that you have listed, but shot multiple others to see if I liked them.

Alpine
                Athens
                Bear - I had a cheap bear that I had from academy that was total junk. I wouldn’t really say it was fair to compare to some of there newer bows.
                Bowtech - I’ve shot the RPM 360 but never hunted or owned one.
                Darton
                Elite - I had an elite energy 32 that I bought used from here. I liked the way it felt but at the time I also had a Mathews that was completely setup and hunt ready. Never actually killed anything with the elite.
                G5 (Prime, Quest)
                High Country - This was the first bow I ever hunted/killed animals with. It was a hand me down from my dad. This was 20 years ago so can’t really compare to anything modern. I could see the arrow slowly dropping at 20 yards haha.
                Hoyt - Only shot once at a bow shop. Didn’t have anything bad to say about it but went with a Mathews Creed at the time instead of the Hoyt.
                Mathews (easy) - I’ve hunted with Mathews far more than anything else. It has been what I would say the most well rounded for me. Currently shooting the Halon and it has been good.
                Martin - When I upgraded from my high country to a Martin Jaguar, I thought I was walking in high cotton. I killed a lot of animals with it until I finally went to a Mathews.
                Moxie
                Obsession - Bought one used off here and played with it for awhile. I liked it, but wasn’t 100% sold on it.
                PSE - Havent shot one since I was a young kid.
                Xpedition - I had an Xcentric that I really liked and hunted/killed a few animals with. Ended up going back to my Mathews only because I preferred the draw cycle of the Mathews over the Xpedition.

I hear what you’re saying about going with the “little guy” but there are some advantages to popularity. Readily available parts, multiple options for bow shops that can service, etc. I like that if I drop my Mathews and bend a cam, there is likely going to be a shop that has spare parts and techs that are familiar with the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                  I have bought and sold many different used bows just to try them out. I’ve only hunted with 4 that you have listed, but shot multiple others to see if I liked them.

Alpine
                  Athens
                  Bear - I had a cheap bear that I had from academy that was total junk. I wouldn’t really say it was fair to compare to some of there newer bows.
                  Bowtech - I’ve shot the RPM 360 but never hunted or owned one.
                  Darton
                  Elite - I had an elite energy 32 that I bought used from here. I liked the way it felt but at the time I also had a Mathews that was completely setup and hunt ready. Never actually killed anything with the elite.
                  G5 (Prime, Quest)
                  High Country - This was the first bow I ever hunted/killed animals with. It was a hand me down from my dad. This was 20 years ago so can’t really compare to anything modern. I could see the arrow slowly dropping at 20 yards haha.
                  Hoyt - Only shot once at a bow shop. Didn’t have anything bad to say about it but went with a Mathews Creed at the time instead of the Hoyt.
                  Mathews (easy) - I’ve hunted with Mathews far more than anything else. It has been what I would say the most well rounded for me. Currently shooting the Halon and it has been good.
                  Martin - When I upgraded from my high country to a Martin Jaguar, I thought I was walking in high cotton. I killed a lot of animals with it until I finally went to a Mathews.
                  Moxie
                  Obsession - Bought one used off here and played with it for awhile. I liked it, but wasn’t 100% sold on it.
                  PSE - Havent shot one since I was a young kid.
                  Xpedition - I had an Xcentric that I really liked and hunted/killed a few animals with. Ended up going back to my Mathews only because I preferred the draw cycle of the Mathews over the Xpedition.

I hear what you’re saying about going with the “little guy” but there are some advantages to popularity. Readily available parts, multiple options for bow shops that can service, etc. I like that if I drop my Mathews and bend a cam, there is likely going to be a shop that has spare parts and techs that are familiar with the bow.
                  Very true statement here..

Comment

I've shot nothing but PSEs. My main bow is an xpedite. I personally love the evolve cams.

Comment

I’ve always shot Mathews till now. I’m shooting a expedition and love it. Smooth backwall, fast, price. held a buddies VX3 and gave it back lol. Expedition for new bow or older Mathews solo cam in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently upgraded since my bow had just turned 16. It still shoots fine and will be kept as a backup or turned into a bow fishing rig. I shot: Mathews, Elite, Hoyt, & Bowtech. They literally all shot amazingly and would have been happy with any of them. I would not over think it but instead go to a dealer you trust and shoot what they have and pick one.

Comment

I’ve shot an Elite Judge since 2011. This is my 11th hunting season and other than replacing the string and cable, it’s been zero problems.

I found out when I had a neck & shoulder problem and had to reduce the draw weight and build back up again my 70# bow shot great at 50#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot Hoyt for 18 years . Jumped to obsession a few years ago .

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                              With my recent close call on my bow, it got me thinking about back ups and eventually upgrading and with all the brands out there, how do you choose?? I know its all about how the bow feels to you when you shoot it but, How can you make a sound call and shoot all the different brands when not one shop carries them all? I am a fan of the "little guy" when it comes to certain things and being able to buy a Mathews brand bow in every shop I walk into doesn't make me want to pick one up, not that there is anything wrong with the bows (don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, lol). So what would be the best course of action to make sure I shoot them all? A list to name a few.. If anyone has any experience shooting any of the below brand, please post up your experience.

Alpine
                              Athens
                              Bear
                              Bowtech
                              Darton
                              Elite
                              G5 (Prime, Quest)
                              High Country
                              Hoyt
                              Mathews (easy)
                              Martin
                              Moxie
                              Obsession
                              PSE
                              Xpedition
                              I have owned and shot all but the xpedition and moxie. After owning a bow shop for 12 years, the pse line has never left we wanting for something else besides them obsession have been my personal bows of choice for several years

Comment

Working...
                              X