10mm vs 44 mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I had an XD that had what I consider 2 catastrophic failures, meaning had I needed it it would not have done me any good. I always carried it in a holster at the lease when working, riding ATVs, hunting, etc. we had fine west Texas dust that go on/in everything.

1) Dirt intrusion into the striker channel would not allow the striker to release, basically it had a dead trigger.

2) On a separate occasion I could not get the mag out because dirt got in the mag release assembly.

After the 2nd failure I sold it and at the time begrudgingly bought a Glock. I carried it in the same conditions for years and never a failure. As a matter of fact I’ve never had a failure of any kind with a Glock since I’ve been carrying/using them since 2008.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That’s interesting. I use my air compressor to blow out any grit after a day in the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had an XD that had what I consider 2 catastrophic failures, meaning had I needed it it would not have done me any good. I always carried it in a holster at the lease when working, riding ATVs, hunting, etc. we had fine west Texas dust that go on/in everything.

1) Dirt intrusion into the striker channel would not allow the striker to release, basically it had a dead trigger.

2) On a separate occasion I could not get the mag out because dirt got in the mag release assembly.

After the 2nd failure I sold it and at the time begrudgingly bought a Glock. I carried it in the same conditions for years and never a failure. As a matter of fact I’ve never had a failure of any kind with a Glock since I’ve been carrying/using them since 2008.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      That’s been my experience with Glocks. Closest thing I ever had to a failure was what was evidently a double charge in a G22 several years ago. A very loud bang, severe recoil for a .40, the magazine dropped clear, and a chunk of brass gone from the empty case. I put the mag back in and it continues to rock and roll. Glocks are tough !

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Hunt in pairs and you won't need a sidearm
        Two buddies are fishing in Alaska, both see a bear. One fella starts putting on his tennis shoes. His friend says "What are the shoes for?", the fella says, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you." hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          If that cross chest holster is being worn correctly in the picture, I don’t see how he could draw his gun. His right hand would be at/above his right shoulder when it cleared the kydex holster.

Add a pack and shoulder straps- impossible riding that high on his sternum.

Lower and the gun closer to horizontal- absolutely.

Bill, you can absolutely lower it further toward you stomach. I took this selfie right after I got the Kenai to show a friend what it looked like.
          I definitely carry it lower than what this photo shows.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I know you don’t care for flocks and they don’t fit my hand very well either but thousands of LEOs can’t be wrong. When it goes down you want a glock in your hand. I’d get a Glock 20 in 10mm and get a after market barrel that shoots hard cast. Razor Dobbs has kill just about everything that walks with his 10mm. The hard cast will dang near shoot through a grizzly and that’s what you want along with high capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              That’s interesting. I use my air compressor to blow out any grit after a day in the holster.

I don’t want a gun where I have to worry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I carry a Ruger Super Red Hawk 44 Rem Mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. It is far more accurate I find than most semi's. Just for Giggles at the ran my son asked me to try and hit the 100 yard metal plate. It took me a few shots but I did. Good luck trying that with a semi.

The accuracy and power out of the Super RedHawk is just hard to argue with.

Comment

Originally posted by soldierarcher View Post
                  I carry a Ruger Super Red Hawk 44 Rem Mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. It is far more accurate I find than most semi's. Just for Giggles at the ran my son asked me to try and hit the 100 yard metal plate. It took me a few shots but I did. Good luck trying that with a semi.

The accuracy and power out of the Super RedHawk is just hard to argue with.
                  Not disputing the Red Hawk being far more accurate, but people do it all the time with 9mm carry guns. YouTube is full of vids.

Comment

I don’t want a gun where I have to worry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve never had an issue with either XD failing to fire. I come home so dusty from the side by side I blow off the dust on my pack and gun.

How can a striker-fired XD be any more prone to a dirt-jammed striker than a striker-fired Glock? Assuming both are not over-oiled which is the magnet for dirt particles.

Comment

I did a couple mile hike yesterday to start my elk conditioning program. Decided to see how the Diamond D, Badland bino case and Kuiu pack worked together.

The holster is more ‘cross belly’ than chest, but it all fit comfortably and doing multiple unsnap/draws was easily accessible.

Comment

I started out carrying a Dirty Harry .44 and after a few trips and occasional bear encounter switched to the 10mm. The weight difference and ability to keep shots on target, not to mention buying another firearm.

Didn’t have any encounters on a youth hunt I tagged along with last summer. A 12 gauge or heavy rifle is not a bad idea to have amongst a group if you can afford the weight. If you do things like eat far outside of camp and keep your food down wind from either of the first two spots as far as possible, you’ll reduce some of your issues. Once you make a kill, it gets real fast. The blood and gut pile odor really follows you around, not to mention the meat if you’re packing it out. We were fortunate enough to have a side by side to haul the gear and caribou out. We came across a number of caribou kills, torn up marmot dens and fresh scat while hunting. It’s not that bad, but it sure keeps you alert.

If you do bring a shotgun, bring a few rounds of birdshot. We didn’t, and we missed out on a lot it chances to eat some ptarmigan and spruce grouse around camp.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Txtourist; 03-13-2023, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I have a Glock 20 & 40. The 40 feels fine in my hand but the 20 feels too large sometime for my hands. They both shoot great. I havent shot the Springfield XD 10mm but I did hold one. It feels a lot better to me and I might try to pick one up

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Hunt in pairs and you won't need a sidearm
                            Right. You just have to be a faster runner than the other guy.

Comment

Springfield XDM Elite 10mm...great gun !

Comment

How is the trigger break on the Elite? I dropped-in the Powder River Precision trigger upgrade in my XDm and it’s a big improvement Eliminated the long pretravel and dropped pull to around 5#. A Wheeler rifle trigger pull scale will not measure accurately on a pistol I found. At least not for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X