2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
    The fall flight forecast released by Delta Waterfowl is concerning. Very little duck production occurred this summer due to extreme drought in the Dakotas and Canada. Many birds never even attempted to nest. If you all have been following this story since April, the pond count in the prairie pothole region alone was down 82% year over year. The lack of young birds this year will require our best effort as guides/hunters. If this drought persists into next spring/summer we will likely see a 3 bird limit in 2022/2023.

Some positive news is around blue wing and green wing production. They are the earliest nesters and they appear to have utilized what little water was available in the late spring. Not a great hatch by any stretch but respectable. Mallards and pintails appear to not had any success. Redheads recruitment was poor as well. Gadwall counts remain really strong although nesting success was not fully understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These are the same guys last year that said 2020/21 was going to be a great hunting season. IT was one of the worst. I wouldn't go off anything they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      Only when water swatting flocks at night with the punt gun! That suckers old, don't want to mess up that barrel with steel shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Sinkey View Post
        These are the same guys last year that said 2020/21 was going to be a great hunting season. IT was one of the worst. I wouldn't go off anything they say.
        Just because most of Texas didnt have a great season doesnt mean other states didnt. I know people in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, etc that smashed birds. Delta bases their prediction on the hatch but they cant control the weather that pushes birds down. Everybody in the waterfowl world has been saying a terrible year is coming do to the drought in the Dakotas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
          Just because most of Texas didnt have a great season doesnt mean other states didnt. I know people in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, etc that smashed birds. Delta bases their prediction on the hatch but they cant control the weather that pushes birds down. Everybody in the waterfowl world has been saying a terrible year is coming do to the drought in the Dakotas.
          I know "some" did. We even had some good hunts here. But all the guys I hunt with in Northern Oklahoma and Arkansas.....it was WAY below average. You are right about weather, but here is a news flash....DU and Delta Waterfowl dont control weather. And the only ones barking about the Dakotahs is DW. First it was a 39 day season. Now 3 duck limits. I hope they do go back to 3 ducks.
          But you watch.....if "weather" cooperates this year, you will see numbers go way back up. My farm in East Texas was loaded right before that big freeze after season. We never got those hard freezes up North last year that really pushes birds down. Until February.

Comment

Looks like I am shooting Monarch this year. Just glad I was able to at least find this

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
              Just remind us as the day gets closer. We usually just throw them in a sack and then into a dumpster. How many are you looking to get?

I've been thinking of reloading as well. If you don't mind, which press are you running and where are you getting your components from?
              Thanks

Not sure of site off top of my head but hulls is hardest part in recipe to find. Hoping to do 3” #3 or #4. According to my math $19 ish for a 10lb sack of shot equaled 128 loaded at 1.25oz. I’ve got two presses already. So may order a couple sacks of shot and wads to tinker with it. Reading you can do roughly $9.50-10 for 25 shells. Not too sure if that’s accurate but if I have a ton of components I don’t have to panic buy haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by zac221 View Post
                Not sure of site off top of my head but hulls is hardest part in recipe to find. Hoping to do 3” #3 or #4. According to my math $19 ish for a 10lb sack of shot equaled 128 loaded at 1.25oz. I’ve got two presses already. So may order a couple sacks of shot and wads to tinker with it. Reading you can do roughly $9.50-10 for 25 shells. Not too sure if that’s accurate but if I have a ton of components I don’t have to panic buy haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
                  If anyone would like to take along this year lmk
                  I need to take you up on it this year of my schedule allows it.

Comment

Anyone used the divebomb silhouettes in the marsh? I have some pintail I’m going to throw in my spread this season.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                      Looks like I am shooting Monarch this year. Just glad I was able to at least find this

Can’t dose out the medicine without any pills. You’ll kill em dead. May have to give em an extra pill on the way down lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

We use the socks and silhouettes mixed in with our spread. Works better for us late season when the tides are low.

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
                        Anyone used the divebomb silhouettes in the marsh? I have some pintail I’m going to throw in my spread this season.

Comment

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to ship ducks/meat while on an out of state hunt.

Will be flying up to Mass on a seaduck hunt in January. Should I bring a cooler and just fly the meat/birds home with me? Or ship it via ups overnight?

I figure either way will be expensive.

Comment

Seeing Teal and couple spoonies in chambers county

Comment

Worked on trying to keep ahead of the beavers this past weekend. ****, it was hot out there.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                                Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to ship ducks/meat while on an out of state hunt.

Will be flying up to Mass on a seaduck hunt in January. Should I bring a cooler and just fly the meat/birds home with me? Or ship it via ups overnight?

I figure either way will be expensive.
                                Can you check it on the plane? One of the heavier duty styrofoam coolers and dry ice?

Comment

Working...
                                X