Feeder pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    They really dont need to jump in right now with all the rain and growth. My pens are not being visited much right now and you usually cant keep them out of them.

You also might want to consider cutting some sections down a little, mine are 25” tall. You can even cut the gaps to your advantage. I know others on our place that had little activity until they cut theirs down also.
    Thanks for the reply. I considered cutting down some, but don't want hogs to climb in. I'll give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

Comment

I get cattle panels and cut them in half

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I considered cutting down some, but don't want hogs to climb in. I'll give it a few more weeks and see what happens.
        In a about 5 years of running pens, I have only had pictures of 4 pigs inside the feed pen.

Of the two caught up with, they were pushing 275-300 lbs.

Before pens, I was shooting 50-60 pigs a year off two feeders. Let’s just say, we have a healthy population. They were actually running all the deer off. Now, they are not.

Comment

the bigger/wider the better IMO. i don't thiink you need to cut your pen down - maybe just add 2x as many panels. I get it if it's a cost thing. Maybe just hunt it and then add on as you can. I have a pen that is made up of ~ 20 - 20ft panels, only b/c i lucked into an extra 10 panels and i've been too lazy to spread them around to my other spots. However i have several pics of 10+ deer in the pen and i hand corn around it. Really helps during the rut b/c the does can hang out with being pressured. I could be wrong but I feel like it helps to hold more deer. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I know some guys have only cut the top on one or two sections. That has worked for them. The deer jump in where the cut outs are.
            This is what I was going to suggest. And make the shorter panels line up with where you want the deer to jump in at.

Comment

Id cut them all in have to make them 24inches tall and that would double your pen size. Ive only had one BIG pig get in mine with them that tall, average size pigs walk around it looking for an opening then leave.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                I know some guys have only cut the top on one or two sections. That has worked for them. The deer jump in where the cut outs are.
                I did that as well, didn't work for me but pretty sure my pen was too small anyway. Wound up taking it all down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                  Bumping this back up- Any update?

I put up one 12 panel and one 9 panel feed pen 1 month ago. Both pens are 16'x34" and I still have no deer coming in... The good news is there hasn't been any hogs... I guess I just need to be more patient.

Yes I cut the top section off 3-4 panels and deer started pouring in. Have yet to get a hog in there, they just walk around the pen and then leave. I was patient for about a month and then decided to cut the panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X