Hammer system vs ASF timed protein feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammer system vs ASF timed protein feeder

Just curious what guys that have used both prefer and why. Looking to pick up one or the other soon and I think I’m leaning to the timed feeder, but want to hear some other opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post. Hope you get some answers as I'm interested as well.

Comment

The thing I like about the Hammer system is the flexibility to use it to be very selective. What I mean by that is, I chose a protein feeder that had 4 feed ports. This allowed me to close 2 off and leave 2 open so animals would always feed where I want them to. It also allowed be to pick a feeder that was a little taller so I don't have to worry about hogs. I like the ASF but it seems like I would not be able to control which side the deer feed on and it is shorter so the hogs would be able to reach it a lot easier, and probably the coons. Just my thoughts. But, I'm using mine in a very specific manner.

Comment

I have run the hammers and a trough style system. I still run the hammers, the timed free choice option I really like.

Comment

I'm really curious on this one. I was the only one on a lease feeding couple years ago that was feeding free-choice. So sold that one, and left lease.

Have current lease thinking timed feeders. I still believe running protein into the start of the season was a bad idea. Timed might have helped the nocturnal bit. We ended up dumping a lot of protein on the ground mid-way thru the season. Nothing would touch it. Hopefully, lesson learned there too.

Anywho, the debate now is between trough timed and hammer timed. To me, if they aren't hitting protein then trough timed is not a great idea. Just a lot of protein out in a trough. At least with the hammer, it is some protected from rain. And won't drop more if already full on the drop.

Comment

I just got in today the Hammer system and plan to install it on a 800 ASF gravity protein feeder this weekend. I also run ASF trough timed feeders, Lamcos, and custom made timed protein feeders. I went with the hammer to try it out and compare. As of right now the lamco's are the best IMO. I'll try to give a update in several weeks.

Comment

I’m a fan of the hammer. But hunt with guys that use the trough. Both are great, but the troughs seem to clog if the deer aren’t hitting it hard and you are spinning too much. So I hear anyway

Comment

Check our feeder out. We make a corn and protein feeder in one feeder. The feeder is app based so you can remotely control the corn side and protein side from your phone. This is not a WiFi feeder that you have to be 30 feet from to operate. It’s ran from a cell modem. You can set feed times for corn and protein from your phone. Also, we have a low level sensor in each hopper that will send a low feed level alert to your phone.

Comment

I can only give an opinion on the Hammer. We converted a 600lb corn feeder to protein and included a Hammer. It is only open during daylight hours and our pics show only deer- no coons

Comment

We had 2 of the ASF 2000# Timed Pro Evos and they were a nightmare. Would not stop clogging where it was supposed to go down through the “neck” to the spinner plate. ASF was amazing and offered to trade them straight up for new ones but was pretty gun shy at that point. Traded for 3000# free choice instead.

I still want timed protein feeders but just can not talk myself into taking a torch to these brand new 3000# ASFs and making them compatible with the Hammer system. I know I am tired of feeding coons though.

If money was no object I would get a 3000# timed Outback protein feeder. Seems perfect but OUCH.

Comment

TCF,

Do it the way I did. I know you saw the post, but here it is for others:

I did not want to take a torch to my feeders either.

To the OP, I have not tried a timed trough but like the Hammer system a lot. Mike is good people too!!!

T

Comment

No experience w/ ASF equipment. But i have two Hammers, and just ordered a third. Very happy with them.

Comment

Running 3 hammers for 4+ years. Very happy with them

Comment

I’ve been running Hammers for 3 years now and you can not go wrong with them. And the costumer service is awesome! Give Mike a call and he will answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                              TCF,

Do it the way I did. I know you saw the post, but here it is for others:

I did not want to take a torch to my feeders either.

To the OP, I have not tried a timed trough but like the Hammer system a lot. Mike is good people too!!!

T

My dumb ***** can’t wrap my mind around exactly how you did yours. I have looked at the pics 100 times and it hasn’t clicked yet for me. I’m normally not this mechanically “special” [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Comment

Working...
                              X