Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

November recap: A personal best and 3 firsts... (gonna be long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November recap: A personal best and 3 firsts... (gonna be long)

With all the rain we had in the Brady area during October, we were flooded out of our lease for 2 weeks. That was pretty much torture for me!

So we finally got to get back in there the last weekend of October. That weekend I had one of our top target bucks in front of me and I let him walk because I promised the hubby he could have first shot at out trophy and I would be on cull patrol the first half of the season. It was a pretty uneventful next weekend after that but...

Fast forward to November 8. I was off work that Thursday and Friday so I decided to head to the lease Thursday morning and as a result, this happened at 2pm... My biggest buck ever and a bow kill!

That made for a quick weekend hunting but we have a lot of management bucks that we wanted to cull off, so the rest of the weekend, I set out to get my youngest kiddo, Aaron (10), his first buck. We hunted and hunted without seeing anything but young ones. Finally on Saturday evening, we heard that the one 6 point that he really had his heart set on had passed through by another lease member about 500 yards away from where we were hunting. Fingers crossed that he was going to make his way around to us in the next hour before dark. Around 40 minutes after that, while there was a doe at the feeder, we heard a grunt come from behind us and I see our #1 target cull coming in. I got him ready while he jumped in and we waited for a broadside shot. As soon as he turned (about 5 minutes later but felt like foreverr) and I gave the okay to shoot when ready, it took about a half second for Aaron to let one fly with the xbow. Clean pass through and a 40 yard track and he had his first buck.

Thanksgiving has always been a long weekend at the lease for us and this year was no exception. I headed out on Wednesday morning with my dad and 2 sons while Shane tied up some loose ends at work and headed out around noon with our daughter.

Andrew (17) and I hunted Wednesday evening and he saw several that would be good first bucks but no shot ever presented itself. Thursday (Thanksgiving) evening, an old 7 point made the fatal mistake and Andrew was able to get his first buck on the ground with a compound after 2 years of trying.

Next up was our daughter, Abby (16). After numerous frustrating hunts where she watched “too young” big deer tease her, she finally got a shot. Only disappointment followed as apparently the bolt from the xbow skimmed off the bottom wood of the window and deflected to who knows where while her buck walked off into the sunset. We never did find that bolt. The next morning she was not super happy so she decided to sleep in but the next evening she was over it and ready to try again. She had a BIG 10 point and 2 management bucks come in and made a perfect shot on this 7pt.

Last edited by nursejenn; 11-27-2018, 06:04 PM.

Looks like Mom and Pops is teaching the children well. Congrats to all!

Family, hunts used to bring families together. Looks like it has with yalls.

Comment

Congrats! Looks like awesome memories!

Comment

Wow, that's gonna be hard to top. Course, it's gonna be great fun trying. Congratulations to all. What a fun season!

Comment

What a Harvest...Beautiful deer and family

Comment

Congrats to you all.

Comment

Where is your husband's buck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to all! Nicely done
                Shane, where's your buck?

Comment

Congrats to you and the kiddos. Your turn Shane!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to y'all

Comment

Looks like a great trip! Congrats to you all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Freaking awesome. Congrats!

Comment

Y'all done good Jenn! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!!!!

Comment

Heck yeah, congrats to you all

Comment

Working...
                              X