Trailer brake controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my new 16ft trailer has brakes... My 2012 ram 1500 4x4 does not have a controller I have never used one prices seem to very alot is there really a big difference?

I just found one that would plug and play on my vehicle. Reese, Curt are notable brands. Amazon and reviews are your friend. Works as good as the built in one on my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
      I just found one that would plug and play on my vehicle. Reese, Curt are notable brands. Amazon and reviews are your friend. Works as good as the built in one on my truck.
      Thanks

Comment

I have the curt blue tooth one. Links to your cell phone. Very convenient since neither mine or my wife's truck have a built in controller.

Comment

The cheaper controllers work just fine. Sometimes they don't have the ease of fine tuning, but they work the same. I also bought one one the Curtis Bluetooth units. It was expensive but requires no installation, so I can move from vehicle to vehicle

Comment

I have a Reese fixed setting controller in my Excursion. No real issues once I find the right setting for the load I’m hauling.

Put a Tekonsha proportional controller in the 1 Ton van. No issues at all with it and it controls in proportion to the pressure you apply in the vehicle brake

All that said, towing campers or rather heavy loads I prefer the proportional controller. Lighter loads the fixed setting controller is plenty good

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
              The cheaper controllers work just fine. Sometimes they don't have the ease of fine tuning, but they work the same. I also bought one one the Curtis Bluetooth units. It was expensive but requires no installation, so I can move from vehicle to vehicle
              A Bluetooth controller would make me nervous in a emergency
              But I never had one so they might be ok on a lawnmower trailer,
              I wouldn’t trust if running around heavy

Comment

I’ve used quite a few of them, from the basic ones you can hardly tell are working or not to the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and RedArc Tow Pro Elite.

IMO, this one is a great option for $70, it’s not worth going cheaper. I use it on my 3/4 ton Chevy that pulls dump trailers, I really like the “boost” functions. Basically, you set it to work properly with the empty trailer, then just hit a button to increase the braking when it’s loaded down. There are 3 levels.

Comment

I use the tekonsha prodigy 3 on my half ton and tow my keep with no problems. Love the boost feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                    A Bluetooth controller would make me nervous in a emergency
                    But I never had one so they might be ok on a lawnmower trailer,
                    I wouldn’t trust if running around heavy
                    I pulled about 8000lbs with it. The controller is connected to the system. The only Bluetooth function is the setting. Once you get your settings right. You can actually turn off the Bluetooth part and it will always go back to that setting

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet83 View Post
                      I use the tekonsha prodigy 3 on my half ton and tow my keep with no problems. Love the boost feature

I used the same while towing the scout trailer for 7 years or so. They also have adapter setups to plug into a controller port if you have one. Made it a lot easier moving it from the F150 to the Sequoia when needed after you found where the port was in the harness under the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by sv2100 View Post
                        I used the same while towing the scout trailer for 7 years or so. They also have adapter setups to plug into a controller port if you have one. Made it a lot easier moving it from the F150 to the Sequoia when needed after you found where the port was in the harness under the dash.

Absolutely the different adapters make it so easy

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet83 View Post
                          I use the tekonsha prodigy 3 on my half ton and tow my jeep with no problems. Love the boost feature

Comment

Working...
                          X