Spray foam insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray foam insulation

Just had a 30x40 metal shop built. Had 2 quotes to have it sprayed 1” thick closed cell. Little over 5k to do the entire building (roof*walls). Was wondering if anyone had just the roof done instead of the whole building? Would it be worth just doing the top? Have shade trees on the south and west side and have a lean to off the north and east side. Located in Goldthwaite if anyone has a spray foam guy?

I would think that any R value you receive by just doing the roof would be lost by not doing the sides. That metal gets both freaking HOT and COLD.

Closed cell spray insulation is still the best overall investment you can make to a structure IMO.

Comment

You may get some benefit by doing just the roof.. but most folks do sides and under roof… In a home.. you want to have a sealed envelope…

Comment

How tall are the sides?

Comment

I would definitely want to do it all. I had 2” on ceiling and 1” on walls in 2012 on my 30x40 and if I remember correctly it was 5k. Keeps it much warmer in the winter and a propane heater makes all the difference. About 10-15 degrees cooler during the summer. If you didn’t do the walls I think you’d greatly regret it. You will want an insulated garage door too if you can swing it.

Comment

I’ve been thinking of doing mine and is same size with 12’ walls. Should have done before I stuffed it full of stuff as now not the easiest task

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
              I would think that any R value you receive by just doing the roof would be lost by not doing the sides. That metal gets both freaking HOT and COLD.

Closed cell spray insulation is still the best overall investment you can make to a structure IMO.
              This only makes sense, to me.
              Pay up front for the insulation, or pay in utilities for the life if the building.

Comment

Originally posted by gmj View Post
                . Located in Goldthwaite if anyone has a spray foam guy?
                Call Erik Cortina.
                He will know someone.

Comment

What’s the wall height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post

Agreed for many reasons. Not only does it insulate but it also stiffens the structure at lot.

I went 1” roof and walls but wish I had done 2” on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the spray...
                      But, if your gonna do it.... Do it all...!!

Comment

Originally posted by gmj View Post
                        Just had a 30x40 metal shop built. Had 2 quotes to have it sprayed 1” thick closed cell. Little over 5k to do the entire building (roof*walls). Was wondering if anyone had just the roof done instead of the whole building? Would it be worth just doing the top? Have shade trees on the south and west side and have a lean to off the north and east side. Located in Goldthwaite if anyone has a spray foam guy?
                        Do the whole thing you won't regret it. We have 2400 Sq ft keep it 70 during the day and 68 at night we haven't had a electric bill over 130-40 in 5 years.

Comment

On our 30x40x12 I did 3” on the roof, 3” on the west end wall and 2” on the other walls. Also did insulated sectional garage door. The cost to do a thicker coat was not much more than 1”. The labor they said was the same and just charged me for the foam. Mini split keeps it cool without much work.

Garage weather strip also helps keep heat and moisture out.
                          https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Build...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

I just had my roof only done on my 30x60 shop I work out of daily. During the summer we have a 10x12 door on the south, 10x12 on the east, a couple of windows on south and west, and (2) 3’x4’ openings at the top of the building open with shop fans running in them. Before foam, if it was 102 outside, the thermometer at head level would read 110-115 and the roof would measure 145-150 with an ir thermometer. A buddy of mine does foam and is doing ours in stages when he has leftovers, and did 1” closed cell on just the ceiling. Now, at 102 outside it’s reading 98-100 at head level and 105-107 on the roof. The biggest difference to me is the radiant heat. Before the foam, if you looked up your face would feel like it was under a buffet heat lamp and that is completely gone with the spray foam.

Comment

Walls gonna sweat !
                              Gotta do it all

Comment

Working...
                              X