Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm too close to retirement, but I need to find another line of work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coachk View Post
    AFREAKINGMEN!!! That's what happened today...kid was in hallway on her phone cussing when we have a "no phones policy" so I tell her to hang it up and go to office...she screams that I have no idea what's going on (she was talking crap to another student, i listened to her for a minute before i intervened). She hangs up and calls her mom and tells her that we are trying to take her phone for no reason...mom will be up here throwing an absolute fit tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

It might get to the point where teachers could wear a camera that could be turned on and off to capture instances like this. This sort of thing might could be nipped in the the bud...

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettH View Post
      Year 15 of middle school and I could go on and on about the current state of education it is sad. Big picture I wouldn't blame the majority of parents for their kids actions, some without a doubt but not 100%, Social media is the driver behind behavior, language, ignorance and inability to think for oneself. I am pondering this being my last year and doing Real Estate full time along with still being an adjunct with Lone Star. I make a joke about if Lowes is hiring but it may not be a joke too much longer
      I just got done looking at what I could do w my CDL license...driving a truck by myself is sounding pretty good right now!haha

Comment

I just got done looking at what I could do w my CDL license...driving a truck by myself is sounding pretty good right now!haha

My kids are doing a district benchmark right now (so it's peaceful) and I'm watching our lawn guy zip back and forth on the mower on this gorgeous day and that got me thinking too.

Comment

You have hazmat?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahan View Post
            It might get to the point where teachers could wear a camera that could be turned on and off to capture instances like this. This sort of thing might could be nipped in the the bud...
            I would be all for it but the parents will still make excuses for their kids behavior...again, I'm not talking about most of our kids, the majority are great, but it's that small 5% that ruins it...our school would be so much better if we could just kick out about 20 kids and tell the parents good luck!haha

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              You have hazmat?
              No sir, just the passenger for driving a bus but I'm looking into what it takes for tanker/hazmat endorsements. We have a local brick company and a milk transport company looking for drivers right now

Comment

Talk to several ex coach buddies of mine today at various local schools at a function. They said its an outstanding # of coach openings in the state of Tx now.

Each school locally(small towns) have 4-5 coach openings. That is nuts.

Comment

can't let the small minority of turds ruin it for you. I'm in my 16th year, and finally bit the bullet this year and left my old, dysfunctional district (but where I was comfortable) and found a job at a better district. It's completely rejuvenated my career, and I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                    can't let the small minority of turds ruin it for you. I'm in my 16th year, and finally bit the bullet this year and left my old, dysfunctional district (but where I was comfortable) and found a job at a better district. It's completely rejuvenated my career, and I kick myself for not doing it sooner.
                    My wife doesn't Iike change...haha I've tried to get her to leave several times over the years (she is also a teacher/coach here at the school)

Comment

Been driving a truck for 21 yrs now, right out of school. Only thing i worry about is what radio station i want and how cold do i want the ac. There are alot of dot laws and all the idiots u have to worry about, but if u get with the right company u can make 100k a yr and be home daily

Comment

I spent 20 years in education. Both as a teacher and administrator. My wife is still a teacher and has been in education for 21 years. I have enough stories I could write a sizeable book. It has changed a whole lot and not for the better in a number of ways.

I decided it was time to get out a few years back. I always said when I didn't enjoy going to work I'd make a change. So I did. Now I fish full time and have never been happier. I still teach every day but I teach fishing. The lessons are a little different but it is still teaching and it is just as rewarding, and more lucrative as well.

There is life after teaching. If you hit the point where you are tired of the BS make a plan, go to work and do something different. You have a bunch of free time to invest into something else. Figure out what that is for you and get busy. Life is way to short to put up with a job with that much BS.

Comment

Need to slap the parents...

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                            I spent 20 years in education. Both as a teacher and administrator. My wife is still a teacher and has been in education for 21 years. I have enough stories I could write a sizeable book. It has changed a whole lot and not for the better in a number of ways.

I decided it was time to get out a few years back. I always said when I didn't enjoy going to work I'd make a change. So I did. Now I fish full time and have never been happier. I still teach every day but I teach fishing. The lessons are a little different but it is still teaching and it is just as rewarding, and more lucrative as well.

There is life after teaching. If you hit the point where you are tired of the BS make a plan, go to work and do something different. You have a bunch of free time to invest into something else. Figure out what that is for you and get busy. Life is way to short to put up with a job with that much BS.
                            Amen man! I am hopefully making the switch in a few years when other business gets where I want it to be

Some people act like they wouldn't know what to do working elsewhere and depend on it

Comment

Ive been teaching ag for 17 years. Between the TRS system looking worse every year, terrible parents, and worse kids, I'm open to all options at this point. I pray daily for guidance.

Comment

The parents are a problem as well as the administration. The administration is the same age as the parents and don’t have the experience and “relates” to the parents. These new administrators don’t want to deal with the problems so they become administrators. They should have to stay in the classroom for at least 10 years before moving up. Of course it’s not practical with the retirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X