Travel to Costa Rica Pass Port Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel to Costa Rica Pass Port Question

Have trip planned next week to Costa Rica. Now all of a sudden my wife is hearing passports need to be valid 90 days past the date of arrival/departure. Mine is valid till August 22nd 2022. I’ve looked all over on line to see if the 90 day rule is a real thing. I’m in a 75 day window.
    Anyone else have any experience with this crazy requirement?
    Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can get same day passport there in Houston just look it up
    And yes this is common anywhere I travel and I do alot of international stuff

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
      you can get same day passport there in Houston just look it up
      And yes this is common anywhere I travel and I do alot of international stuff

Thanks. Yes sir. That is definitely an option.

Comment

Yes, we were planning a trip to Costa and ran into the same issue back in February. My youngest son needed a renewal. We paid for expedited service and crazy thing is we had it back within 2 weeks when we had heard 10-12 weeks.

Obviously I can't guarantee that will be your experience, my son is 5, but that was mine.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Called for an appointment to do the one day renewal, none available in Texas. SMH.!!

Comment

Is it worth going in person to stand in line without an appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by mdb View Post

yes... I had a friend same exact situation as you no appts, went in and got it in person

Comment

Yes, the passport being valid 90 days out is a real thing. I am sure there are ways around it but not sure what that is. Good luck

Comment

It's not a US requirement as much as it is a requirement for other countries. At least that was my experience when I had to do it a few years back.

Good luck, hope it all works out, Costa Rica is beautiful.

Comment

This confuses me....if you have a valid passport then why wouldn't it be valid? If it is 90 days prior, then shouldn't that be the expiration date on your passport?

Maybe I look at silly things like this too simply!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      yes... I had a friend same exact situation as you no appts, went in and got it in person

Well, I called for an appointment. None available in Texas currently. She told me they don’t do walk ins anymore. Have to have an appointment to get in building. Gonna keep calling to check.

Comment

Originally posted by mdb View Post

Yes, though I haven't done it since COVID.

Comment

A lot of foreign countries require this, and it is very common for most I have been in to require 6 months.

Comment

When I lived in Costa Rica 20 years ago, most problems could be fixed with a $20 bill. Anyway, if it was me, I'd do everything I could to get the passport, but I'd just go down there anyway and figure I could work it out.

Also, CR has a consulate in Houston. I'd call them for the definitive word on if it is necessary.

Comment

I used a expedite service and had my renewal in 8 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X