No announcement yet.

Texas Drone Law shot down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s everyone’s thoughts of power line inspection with drones?

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
      Enlighten me then. What's the point.
      My point was, you are far more likely to have someone trespass or violate your property rights from the ground than the air. I understand the paranoia with annoying cameras above your head. However, a homeowner is far more likely to be violated via an open garage door than someone who is most likely looking for storm damage on a roof or collecting images for a real estate transaction.

Does this mean you should ignore a drone?

No. I'm trying to point out that more than likely, the drone isn't out to spy on you and the pilot is typically very near by if you want to strike up a friendly Q & A session. I'm always happy to explain what I'm up to because I understand the concerns.

Here's a couple images I shot in Spicewood today. Resolution is poor due to high wind but that's the breaks.

This one shows the proximity of the property (home in center of image) to Lake Travis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tbh 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	24681884

This one offers a closer view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tbh 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	24681885

Pretty standard stuff but as you can see I flew over a lot of property to showcase a single home.

Home is priced around $500K if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post

Like I said before. It doesn't bother me at all. Fly them over the house. It's fine. I got nothin to hide and I'm not that interesting.

There's a difference in taking pictures of houses going on the market and a idiot who has nothing better to do that leave a drone parked over your head for half a hour while your in the pool or whatever you have going on.

I say use them and enjoy. Some neat footage can be had from drones.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
          My point was, you are far more likely to have someone trespass or violate your property rights from the ground than the air. I understand the paranoia with annoying cameras above your head. However, a homeowner is far more likely to be violated via an open garage door than someone who is most likely looking for storm damage on a roof or collecting images for a real estate transaction.

Does this mean you should ignore a drone?

No. I'm trying to point out that more than likely, the drone isn't out to spy on you and the pilot is typically very near by if you want to strike up a friendly Q & A session. I'm always happy to explain what I'm up to because I understand the concerns.

Here's a couple images I shot in Spicewood today. Resolution is poor due to high wind but that's the breaks.

This one shows the proximity of the property (home in center of image) to Lake Travis.

[ATTACH]1086308[/ATTACH]

This one offers a closer view.

[ATTACH]1086309[/ATTACH]

Pretty standard stuff but as you can see I flew over a lot of property to showcase a single home.

Home is priced around $500K if you are interested.

Yea. I get what your saying. And you missed my point. Regardless of how a person's privacy is violated doesn't make it ok.
          I'd rather spend 500k on more land, I don't need a other house.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
            In reference to what?

I have taken close up photographs of radio electronics and antennas for both public and private entities for inspections. I am assuming power lines would be no different.

Comment

Way before 'drones'

Originally posted by sharpshooter1 View Post
              The tax man uses em to see barns and sheds.
              I protested my property taxes at the county (Williamson) office 10 or so years ago. The agent whipped out a dozen VERY high resolution photos of my house from at least 3 angles. One could tell if the cow manure was fresh or not from those photos.
              When I inquired how they got those very good pictures, I was told the county had a photo aircraft flying a grid over the whole county constantly taking pictures. Multiple cameras and multiple angles from the different grid points gave them a complete view of my property.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                Yea. I get what your saying. And you missed my point. Regardless of how a person's privacy is violated doesn't make it ok.
                I'd rather spend 500k on more land, I don't need a other house.
                My apologies. I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was suggesting you needed a new home. I edited the price in figuring someone reading along would ask that due to the curious nature of the members assembled.

Wasn’t directed at you.

My participation in this thread is simply to help ease a few minds and hopefully make people think twice before grabbing a shotgun when a drone is in the neighborhood.

Just so people know, battery life is short (for now) and ranges are limited. If you can see a drone, the pilot is generally close by. Of course, the technology is changing by the minute. Laws protecting people won’t be far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                  My apologies. I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was suggesting you needed a new home. I edited the price in figuring someone reading along would ask that due to the curious nature of the members assembled.

Wasn’t directed at you.

My participation in this thread is simply to help ease a few minds and hopefully make people think twice before grabbing a shotgun when a drone is in the neighborhood.

Just so people know, battery life is short (for now) and ranges are limited. If you can see a drone, the pilot is generally close by. Of course, the technology is changing by the minute. Laws protecting people won’t be far behind.
                  I agree but the technology is certainly advancing (like everything else). Flying a tiny drone like the DJI Spark used to effectively get about 12 minutes in the air. My Hubsan Zino Mini SE is rated at 45 minutes and I have had it in the air for a little over 35 minutes on one battery.

Comment

I don’t give a rats, who films me or flys over my place. I guess I’m kind of boring, nothing goes on at my place worth filming or taking pictures of. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                      I don’t give a rats, who films me or flys over my place. I guess I’m kind of boring, nothing goes on at my place worth filming or taking pictures of. [emoji23]

Not even close to the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Not even close to the point.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
                        Closest enough to the point for me, especially in the world we live in. Paranoid conspiracy theorists. If someone is going to spy on someone, they will figure out away to do it regardless. That’s why I don’t lose sleep over it. Just my opinion. Sorry if I offended you, or anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                          [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
                          Closest enough to the point for me, especially in the world we live in. Paranoid conspiracy theorists. If someone is going to spy on someone, they will figure out away to do it regardless. That’s why I don’t lose sleep over it. Just my opinion. Sorry if I offended you, or anyone else.

No offense at all but passivism is how we got to where we are in the first place.

Comment

Rights

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                            thats been added about 10 years ago, its really mentioned in property deals in north and west Texas. I'm ok with buying land without mineral rights but couldnt even think about it if the wind rights didnt come with it. They are also giving (or keeping) some wind rights instead of signing over 100%

Do you have a link to any forms or generic contracts for this ? I recently bought 130 acres in Kansas and they knew nothing of it .

Comment

Working...
                            X