Axis deer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis deer questions

Have an opportunity to go smack an Axis. Not sure if I will be able to take a buck or just a doe.

Plan on bringing the trusty ol’ suppressed 308 shooting my 150 handloads. They are just a little bigger white tail essentially, so plenty of gun right? Thought about bringing my new to me 25-06, but I haven’t shot it enough to have the confidence I do in the 308.

Question is, I have read that their vitals are not set up the same way as a white tail? Some folks said they sit a little further forward in the chest cavity? Those of you that have hunted Axis, where do you shoot? On white tail I’m a neck shot guy or right behind the shoulder if need be. I read that behind the shoulder on an Axis might be at the very back of the vitals.

Appreciate any input!

Thought about bringing my new to me 25-06, but I haven’t shot it enough to have the confidence I do in the 308.
    Answered your question right there!
    308 is perfect gun for deer sized game.
    Should be a bunch of guys that’s can tell you where to shoot them.

Comment

Shoot em in the same place you shoot whitetails with the .308

Comment

I’ve killed a dozen or so with a .243, aimed square on the shoulder. Half dropped dead, the other half didn’t make it 50 yards.

Comment

One tip I’d give you is buy a bale of chaffhaye, axis will camp over it.

Comment

The diaphragm is about even with the crease of the shoulder. Behind that is guts. If you're a rib cage lung shooter on whitetail, you'll need to aim further forward on an axis. I shoot everything in the front of the shoulder with a rifle anyway, so it works equally well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
              One tip I’d give you is buy a bale of chaffhaye, axis will camp over it.
              Our Axis were very Leary of it, after a week they still wouldn’t get near it. White tails dug around in it but that was about it .

Comment

OP,
                .308 is plenty and I use the same shot placement for axis that I use for whitetails. I prefer neck shots but a round through the vitals works too.

Comment

If fully broadside center punch the shoulder… if quartering away aim so bullet goes through opposite shoulder.

Comment

If you're a rib cage lung shooter on whitetail, you'll need to aim further forward on an axis.
                    This.
                    I have killed 3 with a 243, no problem. One doe, one young spike, and one full grown hammer, probably pushing 275 pounds or more. All dropped within 10 steps.

Comment

Your 308 with a good bullet will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

.308 would be great

Comment

Appreciate the replies! If the situation dictates a vital shot, I will take them shoulders out.

I figured the 308 would be more than adequate. Will get some handloads worked up and more shooting time behind the 25-06 and maybe if I get another opportunity in the future will bring it for an axis. It will get a whitetail next year for sure.

Comment

Killed several the other day with a little 7-08 and 120gr nosler ballistic tips....

Good luck post plenty of pics!

Comment

I hammered a big bodied axis buck just over a week ago right through the shoulders with a 6.5 creedmoor. He went 25 yards.
                              You should have no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X