Best Elk Muzzleloader for $1K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Elk Muzzleloader for $1K

What is the best muzzleloader for elk that is priced around $1K or less. Hoping to head west next year and would like to start getting some things. $1K does not include scope.

I like my TC Encore, but the real question is what bullet. I used Powerbelts for deer but I wouldn’t use them for elk unless the newer ones are better than the old ones. I’ve had them break into two pieces on deer. The deer was hit in the heart and down in thirty yards but a rib bone on a Texas deer shouldn’t break a 50 caliber bullet in half.

Comment

I just bought a Traditions Vapr Nitrofire .50 cal last month to use on my Kansas muzzleloader hunt that I really like. Shoots great to 200 yards and the firesticks are simple and easy, not to mention clean. Fixing to sell too if interested.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

For what it’s worth; If you are going to Colorado- you won’t need the scope cause it’s not allowed during muzzleloader season… also no sabots, no 45 cal for elk, and only open sights.
          I shoot a T/c encore and a knight. I generally prefer my T/C but a knight shoots better groups.

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
            For what itā€™s worth; If you are going to Colorado- you wonā€™t need the scope cause itā€™s not allowed during muzzleloader seasonā€¦ also no sabots, no 45 cal for elk, and only open sights.
            I shoot a T/c encore and a knight. I generally prefer my T/C but a knight shoots better groups.
            Good for Colorado!!!
            Since that is the case, no sabots, I really don't think a high dollar firearm is a requisite, of course, if that's what you want.......
            You're gonna be relegated to greased lead bullets and a 100 yards is stretching it.
            Yes, they'll shoot farther, i'm just factoring with the human involved.

Comment

I shoot a Remington 700 50-cal. It shoots great but it sucks lugging around the mountains- it is heavy!

Comment

I shot mine with a CVA Optima V2. Worked good and is easy to clean. As mentioned for Colorado, no scopes, sabots, or pellet powder.
                Bullets were Federal BOR Lock 350 gr, with Blackhorn 209 powder

Comment

I have a 50 cal Remington 700 stainless muzzle loader with glass I would seriously consider parting with in your price range. Next time I go will be with the flintlock so no need for this one.

RemingtonĀ® 700 Ultimateā„¢ Muzzleloader Rifle 209 Magnum - 86960 - .50 Cal 26-inch barrel with Bell & Carlson composite stock. Best Prices, Fast Shipping, Expert Advice!

I wouldn’t be apposed to trading and I’m not in a rush.

Micheal
                  Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 10-13-2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

The rem 700 ultimate is probably the best non-custom muzzleloader out there but is a little over a 1K$.

Something to look into, each state has their very own specific requirements for muzzy seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                      Good for Colorado!!!
                      Since that is the case, no sabots, I really don't think a high dollar firearm is a requisite, of course, if that's what you want.......
                      You're gonna be relegated to greased lead bullets and a 100 yards is stretching it.
                      Yes, they'll shoot farther, i'm just factoring with the human involved.
                      Just no sabots. They can use power belt type bullets in Colorado. Also need loose powder.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        The rem 700 ultimate is probably the best non-custom muzzleloader out there but is a little over a 1K$.

Something to look into, each state has their very own specific requirements for muzzy seasons.
                        In my humble opinion this is one area you definitely get what you pay for. The biggest reason I went with it is for the incased and closed bolt primer. That and stick a jimmy hat over the muzzle and a fellow can hunt no matter the weather.

Micheal

Comment

Thanks. I’m going to look into the Remington. Not too often you hear of a Remington being a top pick these days. I do want to get something that I can use in many states but I know New Mexico and some other states that are far better for elk than Colorado, IMO, do allow scopes and sabots.

Comment

Not sure of the regs where your going but the CVA paramount is a 300yrd plus gun

Comment

I've got a CVA wolf and about to add an Optima.

Going to put the scope on the Optima and leave the wolf as open sights.

Comment

Working...
                              X