I tried something new and I liked it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried something new and I liked it!

My dad and I lost our 400-acre lease this year, but got the opportunity to hunt a much smaller property in the same area. Given the small acreage and nearby residences, we will only be archery hunting only, so I decided to try out hunting with a crossbow.

I picked up a Centerpoint Amped 425 with the silent crank cocker, and I am really impressed! I've shot a couple other crossbows in the past, and this one is NICE! The silent crank is amazing, I like the folding stirrup that can be used as a bipod, and the fit and finish is better than I was expecting for the sub-$500 price point.

I got it sighted in pretty easily, and picked up some 125-grain Slick Trick crossbow broadheads for the season. This weekend I took it out and gave it a try. Check out the results, as well as my initial thoughts on the crossbow!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h6Fx4kfrUY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h6Fx4kfrUY[/ame]

I realized I didn't mention much about the Slick Tricks in the video. These are 4-blade, short-length, chisel-point broadheads, and shot like my field points, and like the 3-blade Muzzys I typically use with my compound. Nice and sharp out of the package, too.

On this smaller property, I didn't want the deer to go far, so I purposely shot through both shoulders. While I didn't hit the shoulder bones, I did cut completely through ribs on both sides. The arrow trajectory stayed true from where I shot, and I found the arrow stuck in the ground about 15 yards on the other side.

Interesting though, there was very little blood on the arrow itself. You could tell it went through, and it smelled like deer, but I expected nice red blood, and instead there was a light coating of what looked like dried blood. I'm not sure if that was caused by the speed of the arrow, or where I went through (I took out both lungs and cut open the heart), or both, but it was surprising. There also wasn't any blood in the immediate area of the shot. She didn't start visibly bleeding for about 10-15 yards or so. She only went about 40 yards total, so it was a nice, effective hit. I just expected more blood at impact.

I'll use them some more to see if there's a pattern with these. I'd love to hear if anyone has had similar results.

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post

Interesting though, there was very little blood on the arrow itself. You could tell it went through, and it smelled like deer, but I expected nice red blood, and instead there was a light coating of what looked like dried blood. I'm not sure if that was caused by the speed of the arrow, or where I went through (I took out both lungs and cut open the heart), or both, but it was surprising. There also wasn't any blood in the immediate area of the shot. She didn't start visibly bleeding for about 10-15 yards or so. She only went about 40 yards total, so it was a nice, effective hit. I just expected more blood at impact.
      Welcome to Slick Trick. You've just become a blood tracking dog owner's best customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        Welcome to Slick Trick. You've just become a blood tracking dog owner's best customer.
        Funny enough, I bought them from recommendations on this forum. Other than the length and extra blade, they're similar to the Muzzys I've been using without complaint for years.

I'm open to suggestions for a good fixed-blade crossbow broadhead that may work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Never had to use a dog to track anything using slick tricks and have been using them for years. Always get a good blood trail.

I shoot the slick tricks out of my crossbow that they make for crossbows. I think they are 175gr and they shoot great.

Comment

And here I was, thinking you’d just kissed a girl…

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
              Never had to use a dog to track anything using slick tricks and have been using them for years. Always get a good blood trail.

I shoot the slick tricks out of my crossbow that they make for crossbows. I think they are 175gr and they shoot great.
              Any issues with initial blood at impact? My thoughts were the speed of the arrow and the amount of muscle at the wounds. Once the blood trail began, it was really good.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              And here I was, thinking you’d just kissed a girl…
              Cute. This one's got jokes...

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Any issues with initial blood at impact? My thoughts were the speed of the arrow and the amount of muscle at the wounds. Once the blood trail began, it was really good.

Cute. This one's got jokes...
                  Not really. Always enough blood at impact.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post

I have been shooting slick tricks for years as well. Most of the time, solid blood trails and if I do my part they don't run 40-50 yards so never a hard tracking job.

Comment

It's just a sideways compound

Comment

Funny enough, I bought them from recommendations on this forum. Other than the length and extra blade, they're similar to the Muzzys I've been using without complaint for years.

I'm open to suggestions for a good fixed-blade crossbow broadhead that may work better.
                        Pm sent

Comment

Is that an Amazon affiliate link in a TBH thread?

Comment

Thanks, Fishndude!

I'm always open to trying new things, and learning new tactics. With the accuracy and consistency of the crossbow, I can focus on trying different broadheads and weights to tweak performance.

Comment

I got my 10 year old son the Centerpoint amped 415 last year on a recommendation from a friend that lives down the street that knows xbows, Rich Johnson. I think he is on crossbownation.com mostly.

He does a lot of trigger replacements on these Centerpoints and others and it is night and day difference. The trigger and scope from the factory were trash. Replaced both and it is very accurate.

Rich recommended spitfire mechanicals since fixed blade are sometimes hard to get a good flight with xbow speeds. My son shot one last fall with it and it dropped in 30 yrds, for what that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X