Considering a used bay boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Austin View Post
    I was in your shoes not long ago and I looked hard and finally found a good fit at a price I could live with.

Remember it’s easy to add accessories or options with time. I needed something good in the bay and lakes because my time is split 50/50 between the two on the water where i gave was on age of boat/motor purchasing a 09 frontier with t-top 200 Yamaha SHO (60hrs at time of purchase) garmin electronics and a power pole and Bluetooth sound system.

I have since added a turbo swing for pulling tubes and a ipilot trolling motor.

One consideration you should make is on where/how you plan to store the boat as t-top will require significantly more door height
    Good points, all around. I was a bit worried about the height issue, then I happened to drive by one of the boat storage places this morning and saw a guy pulling a t-topped boat out of a "mid-size" unit, so that made me feel better.

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
    I wouldn't be scared to go a bit older depending on hours and what motor is hanging on the back. I love a 4 stroke yamaha for what it's worth.
    My parameters are certainly bendable. I'm not afraid of the RIGHT older boat.

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
    There some deals out there you just might have to do a road trip to find it, get on Boat Trader and start searching.
    I'm not afraid to drive but I'll want to be able to get it checked out and on the water wherever I find one. I'd love to find one locally and take it to my buddy's shop, but we'll see what's out there.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Also a T top takes up a lot of room in a 20-22” boat when it comes to casting a such. Also catches a bunch of wind.
    Yeah, I'm aware. This one is a wifey mandate - if she gets roasted while we're out every time, it won't bode well. A bimini top would be ok as well, and a bit more versatile if it's not hard to remove.

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
    Pathfinders are great boats, my current boat and my prior boat were Pathfinders. Both 2007 models with Yamaha 150 four strokes. Pathfinders hold their value and unless you find a smoking deal, you won't find one under 2010 for less than 30k. I bought my 2007 2000v last year for 25,000 then I added a power pole, Lowrance hds 16 and many maintenance items for another 9,000. I can see the prices coming down some if the economy keeps it current pace, but probably not much.
    I've had my eye on Pathfinders since we moved down here. I'm seeing some deals out there that will probably be scooped up quickly

This one is a 2009 2100 Fusion with a 200 Yamaha for $28k

This one is a 2002 2200 with a 2012 225 Mercury for $27k

So, they're out there, and that gives me hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Unless something changes with that size, age and options you mentioned that’s virtually a pipe dream.

Not trying to bust your bubble.

There was a pathfinder in the classifieds that was a great deal but not sure if Gary sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This.

May need to lower your specs a little. Just my 2 cents.

I got lucky when I picked up this 2016 - 18lts mako with 115 for $15k last year. Motor only had 24 hours on it.
      Attached Files

Comment

I also wouldn’t buy any boat that doesn’t have a 4 stroke engine.

Comment

Another thing to look out for - the Yamaha HPDI motors above 200 HP (225, 250, 275, and 300) are known for blowing powerheads.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
            This.

May need to lower your specs a little. Just my 2 cents.

I got lucky when I picked up this 2016 - 18lts mako with 115 for $15k last year. Motor only had 24 hours on it.
            Wow, that's a heck of a deal! A buddy has that Mako model, and it's a great little fisher.

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
            Another thing to look out for - the Yamaha HPDI motors above 200 HP (225, 250, 275, and 300) are known for blowing powerheads.
            Ok, thanks. I hadn't heard that, so good to watch for.

Comment

Recently got a Key West 216 like this one which I've found to be a good compromise between draft (14") and seaworthiness (pretty good flare and handles lake chop well)

Ours has a two-stroke Yammer with low hours that's been great - but the quiet four strokes out there now are just better.

eg

Comment

As happy as one guy is to buy a boat, the seller is always happier.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  Well not always. We were very sad to sell our Champion. But it went to a good home.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Two happiest days in a boat owners life, the day he buys it- and the day he sells it.

Comment

Ive seen +/- 10 boats go in my life and I cant think of any I was happy to see go. Miss the airboat, a 15 john and even the glitter boat quite often.

OP...as far as a T top goes, look at canvas USA, they make a folding top that covers like a T top but folds up and comes off in about 5 minutes. Ive have one on my last 2 boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Ive seen +/- 10 boats go in my life and I cant think of any I was happy to see go. Miss the airboat, a 15 john and even the glitter boat quite often.

OP...as far as a T top goes, look at canvas USA, they make a folding top that covers like a T top but folds up and comes off in about 5 minutes. Ive have one on my last 2 boats.
                        You ain't lying about that.....a true die hard fisherman that goes every weekend almost except when it's hunting season will never be glad to see there boat go unless they got another lined up. Now the guys that fish once or twice a year only then maybe I could see it.

Comment

I've owned and sold 5 boats. Can't say I was happy to see any of them go.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Oh that's cool, and they're based here in Rockport. I'll check them out if/when I need them.

Comment

Ranger aluminum center console. 2 depth finders Hydraulic steering 115hp Yamaha 115 SHO (maybe 50hrs) Minnkota TM Lockable rod storage Power Pole Ranger Aluminum trailer w/spare 832-443-2348 Text for photos

Comment

Add me to the list of people that don’t like selling boats. I miss all of them for one reason or another.

I’m also hoping to join the same search this winter for a bay boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X