Solo skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo skiff

Thinking about selling my pedal drive kayak and getting a solo skiff. I fish mostly fresh water lakes and rivers but also fish the bay. What do y'all know about the SOLO Skiff, and do you think it would be a good fit?

I looked at them a while back. I went with a Jon boat, they're wider and more stable. It was a personnel preference, I'm not the most stable guy moving around on a narrow skiff. There's a ton of You tube videos on them and they do well in protected waters. I think you can rent them somewhere I believe. Good luck.

Comment

A buddy at work bought one. He got caught in a pretty decent little storm in the bay, and that was all it took for him to get rid of it. It lets you get farther away than a kayak, and that leaves you open to more issues. For the cost of them, I’d get an aluminum boat.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I guess what attracts me to it over an aluminum boat is that you can still paddle it. I can just pop off the outboard and still use it in bodies of water that don't allow gas engines. My Dad has a 14' aluminum jon boat, and i would never want to try and paddle that bad boy very far . The skiff just seems like it keeps a lot of the capabilities that I like with my kayak, but adds the option to get around faster and further if desired. I have heard getting caught in a storm can be rough though, but same goes for my kayak lol

Comment

Im just wondering if I sell my kayak to get a skiff, am I gonna miss my kayak and regret it down the road? Anybody already made the transition, if so what is your opinion?

Comment

I think if all you do is fish backwater and marshes than its a great tool. If not then id be leaning towards staying with the kayak. The solo skiff doesn't paddle great and you wont really ever paddle it anyways if you have a motor. And if you have the troubles of a motor you wont have anymore issues with a tiller on a bit larger skiff or aluminum boat. I think the cool factor is the reason these took off originally but maybe look at a hog island skiff or something comparable be a bit safer and the same maintenance.

Comment

You can put oars on a Jon boat and make good speed with it. I fished a lot of ponds in a Jon boat with oars. All boats have goods and bads. Different platforms give you more options. I have two boats, two kayaks and a Bass Raider. Get as many as you can, none are perfect for everything.

Comment

Took mine out today. I actually just got back 15min ago.

I love mine. I paid the amount of a high-end kayak, but I can go further and faster than a kayak, and I can go places $40,0000 boats cant.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post

I love mine. I paid the amount of a high-end kayak, but I can go further and faster than a kayak, and I can go places $40,0000 boats cant.
                  That's a nice looking rig, what would you say are the pros and cons of the boat? How would it do shooting across a lake and fishing creeks/coves in freshwater?

Comment

I had one and loved it for awhile, but eventually got back into a Hobie. The motor and trolling motor combo on mine was very nice and I could get much further and much faster than I could anywhere on my kayak, and I have to say I throughly enjoyed watching bigger boats try to follow any line I took. The issues I ran into were that 1 that thing is a massive windsail and isn't light. The boat alone weighs in at 150lbs. Throw in an almost 50lbs motor a 15 lbs trolling motor and battery combo and another 30-40 pounds of gear and you're capped. Anything more than a 10 mph wind and I was doing more maneuvering than I was fishing. 2 I definitely underestimated how unstable the thing was. I have been fishing from kayaks for quite some time and consider myself by no means an expected at standing in them but I am pretty well versed. With the solo I just never felt comfortable man

Comment

Originally posted by CityLimtRedneck View Post
                      That's a nice looking rig, what would you say are the pros and cons of the boat? How would it do shooting across a lake and fishing creeks/coves in freshwater?
                      Thanks...I fish alone so it works great for me. I do about 15mph. Sometimes I wish it was faster though. It's pretty stable also.

I've only done saltwater water fishing, but it should do fine shooting across lakes and creeks. It paddles fine when your stalking up on fish.

I like that I have more room than a kayak, but like mentioned before it can get a little crowded if you have a lot of gear. It doesn't bother me though.

Price was right for me as well. I paid $4200 after TTL. Mine came with the boat, motor, trailer, micro power pole, paddle, and transducer (no fish finder).

I'm starting up my YouTube channel so hopefully I'll get some videos out soon of me out on the water.

Kevin hit the nail on the head. No boat is perfect for everything. I would say think about what works best for you.

How this helps. Good luck to you.

Comment

Here's another pic
                        Attached Files

Comment

What kayak do you have in case you want to sell it? I’m looking for another kayak

Comment

Thanks...I fish alone so it works great for me. I do about 15mph. Sometimes I wish it was faster though. It's pretty stable also.

I've only done saltwater water fishing, but it should do fine shooting across lakes and creeks. It paddles fine when your stalking up on fish.

I like that I have more room than a kayak, but like mentioned before it can get a little crowded if you have a lot of gear. It doesn't bother me though.

Price was right for me as well. I paid $4200 after TTL. Mine came with the boat, motor, trailer, micro power pole, paddle, and transducer (no fish finder).

I'm starting up my YouTube channel so hopefully I'll get some videos out soon of me out on the water.

Kevin hit the nail on the head. No boat is perfect for everything. I would say think about what works best for you.

How this helps. Good luck to you.

Where are you located? I have been looking at getting one. ( Solo Skiff ). Really want to see one in person on the water. I have already watched a bunch of videos of them. Being a big guy ( 5ā€™11ā€ 340# ), Iā€™m not sure on it or a decent kayak.

Comment

That's pretty snazzy!

Comment

Working...
                              X