Lost in Big Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost in Big Bend

Interesting story of two sisters and their four day adventure in Big Bend.

Wow! Very fortunate to survive!

Comment

I have spent a lot of time there. Never lost of turned around. Too many large land marks.

East Texas - lost more than once...

Comment

Wow! Glad it didn’t turn out into a tragic event! In this day and age with all the technology we carry around on our cell phones this type of story should be a thing of the past.

Comment

Good read with lots of ‘lost’ stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
            I have spent a lot of time there. Never lost of turned around. Too many large land marks.

East Texas - lost more than once...
            Except on a moonless night out in the back roads.

Comment

They must have run into some of the wild cattle or Aoudads there are not any Bison or Buffalo in Big Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                Except on a moonless night out in the back roads.
                Middle of the night sure.

Blind folded in Van Horn and driven into a Greese Wood flat and dropped off at 7am. Sun rises in the east - I10 is to the north. Half a day later I would be on a road heading somewhere north.

10 years ago I set off a Border Patrol trail sensor and they came and found me.

I say B/S...
                Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 10-24-2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  Middle of the night sure.

Blind folded in Van Horn and driven into a Greese Wood flat and dropped off at 7am. Sun rises in the east - I10 is to the north. Half a day later I would be on a road heading somewhere north.

10 years ago I set off a Border Patrol trail sensor and they came and found me.

I say B/S...
                  Not bs at all. From our property out there, you could walk north for ten days and not hit a road. Not to mention the canyons and mountains you’d have to navigate. Also your cell phone doesn’t work out there.

Comment

I thing a lot of folks would be surprised just how lost we humans can get. most phones have GPS chips that will be able to track your location/position despite not having "service" available. There are multiple apps that allow for a cheap way to save waypoints. Out in big bend it might suck but you can just walk in the direction the "goto" arrow points you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                      Not bs at all. From our property out there, you could walk north for ten days and not hit a road. Not to mention the canyons and mountains you’d have to navigate. Also your cell phone doesn’t work out there.
                      I guess you are right. I hunted 60 sg miles surrounded by peaks. River Road was on our south gate and Border Patrol went by a couple of times a day. I am sure there are areas a novice could get lost...

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                        They must have run into some of the wild cattle or Aoudads there are not any Bison or Buffalo in Big Bend.
                        Yep. There are a bunch of wild Mexican cattle down along the river, that and some horses and burrows. Those two are clueless.

They got chased by bison in Brooster County, they claimed. There might be bison in Brooster county, where ever that is. Then they camped in a cave never touched by man before. The same cave, that tour stops at on every trip. The same cave along the river, that probably a few thousand indians have camped in over many thousands of years.

I sure hope they are originally from New York, some large city in a state far away. I would hope a couple of Texas women would not be that clueless. Lucky for them, they survived. Had they run into a chupacabra, they would have been done.
                        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-24-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                          This may be a small clue as to why they got lost...

Comment

Obviously bison are not what these two ladies encountered but bison are not that far from big bend… I saw the pic used in this article a while back…. Both of the places in Mexico are not that far from big bend

Last week, Mexican leaders shared photos of a herd of bison that was successfully reintroduced to a nature reserve in northern Mexico last year, marking the first time in nearly 100 years that bison have roamed freely on Mexican soil. But days later a photo of hunters with what appears to be a dead bison has been circulating on social media, raising concerns for the safety of the large mammals.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Wow! Glad it didn’t turn out into a tragic event! In this day and age with all the technology we carry around on our cell phones this type of story should be a thing of the past.
                              My phone doesn't work in Big Bend at all a few years ago. Once I get past Balmorhea it gets bad reception. Spotty around Alpine. It basically turns into a camera

Comment

Working...
                              X