Aoudad Euro Mount Tips/How To's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad Euro Mount Tips/How To's

How much different is doing a aoudad euro compared to a whitetail? Obviously the "inner horn/membrane" has to be address which is what I am curious about.

Worth doing yourself or just take it to a taxi? (have done a handful of whitetail euros before)

Thanks,

You have to pop the horns off, then normal process. Then just "glue" (I use bondo, but e6000 or epoxy works) horns back on. I use hot water, like 150 deg to soak the horns in, until they will pop off. Sometimes its really easy, and sometimes its a major PIA to get them off.

Comment

The skull on an aoudad is very thin. If you over heat them, they will fall apart. Slow and low is best.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        How much different is doing a aoudad euro compared to a whitetail? Obviously the "inner horn/membrane" has to be address which is what I am curious about.

Worth doing yourself or just take it to a taxi? (have done a handful of whitetail euros before)

Thanks,
        I took mine to the taxi. $125 was well worth it to me.

Comment

After you slip the horns off you can cut most of the core off leaving about 3 or 4 inches to glue the horns back on. That allows you to get the whole skull in the boiling pot.

Comment

Skin it and put in a bucket of water up to the horns for a week or two. They will slide right off. Then just normal process just don’t over heat. I do quite a bit of them every year.

Comment

If you're used to boiling whitetail ... take it to a taxidermist.
              When you boil the horns, they will absorb grease and darken.

The ONLY two ways to clean a horned animal is to mascerate or sweat the horns off before you clean the skull. Either way, DO NOT boil the horns. They must be removed from the cores before you clean the skull.

Comment

Rotting the horns off in a black plastic bag or whatever method you choose is effective. It's also NASTY to deal with once it's all rotten and maggot-infested. Degreasing the skull after that requires some work too. If a taxi will do it for $100-150, it's money well spent.

Comment

Just take it in! Money well spent

Comment

Working...
                  X