Couldn’t Be Happier with this Deer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn’t Be Happier with this Deer!

My five year old was able to take his very first deer yesterday. He has been shooting a good bit lately. We leveled up from his .22 to his AR in .223 here recently, and he has been shooting great out to about fifty yards. I initially planned to just have him practice with the .223 and when it came time to hunt I would carry my AR 6.5 Grendel and he wouldn’t know the difference.

Yesterday while I was double checking the zero on the Grendel he asked me to shoot it. I put it on the Deathgrip and he fired away. He shot it ten times and never once flinched or complained about recoil. I told him I thought he was ready to deer hunt. He was so excited that he begged me to go. With the humid 91 degree afternoon I was hesitant, but I took him anyway.

We intentionally got in the blind late with the heat. We got settled about 5:40 and the feeder goes off at 6:00. I was really wanting to get him a close shot for his first, but I was too late to want to go and hand feed closer to the blind.

Sure enough the deer came in to the feeder pen, ate for awhile, and were starting to head the wrong way. He looked at me and said, “Dad I can do it”. I made sure he was steady and zoomed down the scope for him. Standing at 105 yards he made a perfect shot and the deer went about 30 yards snow plowing into the tall brush.

I’ll never forget the excitement we shared at that moment. My little boy looked at me with tears of joy, and I could not have been more proud as a Dad.

Based on the title I’m sure you were looking for a 150”+ bow kill, but this 100lb East Texas doe killed with a rifle meant that much to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations

Comment

Awesome stuff right there!

Comment

Congrats to the little man. My son getting his first deer a couple years ago is by far the best hunting memory I have! Hope there are many more for you and your boy!

Comment

This is what it’s all about. Good shooting little man and congrats dad. Way to get him out there and involve him

Comment

Way to go Dad! That’s awesome and look at that smile!

Comment

Congratulations to the boy!

Comment

Congratulations and high fives to your young man! You too Dad.

Comment

That's awesome

Comment

Great job. Congratulations

Comment

Hech Yeah! Congrats!

Comment

Well done!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes!

Comment