Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tx LEO Need Offical Regs

Try to find the following State of Texas Regs
    1. Can a Volunteer Fire Fighter run red and blue lights on their personal vehicle?
    2. Can the mentioned above sound a siren while running said lights?
    3. Can the above mentioned exceed the posted speed limit or pass where double yellow lines are on road?

Thanks for any and all info

It's in the transportation code, just google it

Comment

541.201 and 546.001

Yes to all if responding to a call

Comment

Keep in mind, there will be consequences, if you are involved in an accident.

Our neighboring city would " detain " ,, ticket, and even follow my F. F. To the station, to verify they were responding to calls. Too many complaints from people who didn't understand.

Just be careful, and thanks for your service to your community.

Comment

Risk is not worth the reward in this situation. If you are involved or cause an accident you and only you will be liable. I wouldn't want that risk.

Comment

Nothing purdier in a rear view mirror than a Ford ranger with triple whip antennas bending in the wind, large 911 stickers all over it, 19 year old driver working the scanner and running hot to a dumpster fire that happened 30 minutes ago. Its a sight to behold.

But I’m glad they are there.
            Last edited by Chew; 06-27-2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

While we are asking

What does running your flashers allow you to do?

Saw a F150 with "paramedic" plates coming into work this morning. He was running flashers and driving a good 10-15 over posted speed.
              Funny thing is he kept getting caught by lights and I stayed with him (within sight) all the way to where I turned off (good 8-10mi)

Can't imagine a paramedic being in a hurry unless he was late to work. This was no volunteer as he was within Tyler city limits most of the time and started outside

Comment

Glad they are there too when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Done'it View Post
                  Try to find the following State of Texas Regs
                  1. Can a Volunteer Fire Fighter run red and blue lights on their personal vehicle?
                  2. Can the mentioned above sound a siren while running said lights?
                  3. Can the above mentioned exceed the posted speed limit or pass where double yellow lines are on road?

Thanks for any and all info
                  Are you needing this information for yourself or to educate someone else?

Comment

Answer is yes to your questions. Our department does not allow blue lights nor sirens in FF POV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Most departments will not allow blue lights anyway.

Comment

The term used in the transportation code for exceeding the speed limit is "driving with due regard". The law does not necessarily define how much an individual can exceed the speed limit by but most departments with good operations policies do set a max. Your department's insurance policy and your insurance policy should be considered if using your vehicle to respond to emergencies with lights and sirens. It is possible for you to end up on the hook financially in the event you cause an accident or are involved in one.

Being a volunteer FF doesn't allow a person to drive recklessly anymore than it allows an LEO, ambulance or actual fire truck. I'm not being critical, I spent 13 years (starting at 19 years old) as a jippy joe/medical first responder and had various versions of lights and sirens on different vehicles during most of that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Nothing purdier in a rear view mirror than a Ford ranger with triple whip antennas bending in the wind, large 911 stickers all over it, 19 year old driver working the scanner and running hot to a dumpster fire that happened 30 minutes ago. Its a sight to behold.

You knew that guy too huh?

Comment

we do whatever we want boy. do you know what authority means? if you cant find a law against it, we can do it. if you find a law against what we did, you cant prove it.

if you prove it, we get 90 days leave paid leave, paid by you. thanks for playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

Yep

Comment

Working...
                              X