kohlrabi food question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kohlrabi food question

do any of yall raise kohlrabi or know what it is used for? just moved into a house that has some HUGE ones and I don't know if they are any good once they get about 10-12 inches long and just as big around. I have only seen them small in the grocery store.

slaws and salads

try 'em!

Comment

yea that is what I have been reading. will have to try one if they are good to the size I inherited.

Comment

Peel & eat raw - smaller are better

Comment

Young noes you can peel and eat.

Bigger/older ones peel, cube and boil in water.
          Then season with salt, pepper and butter.

I really enjoy Kohlrabi.

Strange name, wonder what the origin is.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuse View Post
            Young noes you can peel and eat.

Bigger/older ones peel, cube and boil in water.
            Then season with salt, pepper and butter.

I really enjoy Kohlrabi.

Strange name, wonder what the origin is.
            This^^^. I learned to eat them raw by having th slices and chilled with a little salt and black pepper sprinkled on them. We rarely had any get big enough where we had to boil them because we liked them so much. This by far favorite vegetable and I wish we had them in the grocery stores around here. They are definitely a fall or early spring vegetable in Texas. The summer temperatures cause them to get woody.

They originated in Germany and are actually in the cabbage family, hence the similar taste and outside skin texture to the outer leaves of cabbage.

Comment

And I had to go to Wikipedia for the the meaning of the name because I didn't remember.

The name comes from the German Kohl ("cabbage") plus Rübe ~ Rabi (Swiss German variant) ("turnip"), because the swollen stem resembles the latter. Kohlrabi is a very commonly eaten vegetable in German speaking countries.

Comment

I like to pick them when their a little smaller than an orange. Peel , salt, and eat! Like a turnip and a radish! Small seeds, but they all will grow.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I have a smaller one picked, I will have to cut it up and try it.

Comment

Had to google that one! Never heard of it before.

Bisch

Comment

me too. Learned something today!

Comment

My Paternal Grandparents was German.
                        My Maternal Grandpa was of German descent.
                        We ate lots of it. Mostly like mashed taters

Comment

My grandma used to boil it with spice and butter. Good stuff. Haven't had it in years.

Comment

i tried one of the smaller ones. it was good. like yall said a cross between a radish and cauliflower

Comment

Never had one, but my grandpa talked about at times they were about all they had to eat. He no longer cared for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X