No announcement yet.

Age your kids started hunting alone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was about 11-12 when I started sitting by myself, no cellphone back then dropped off @ 5:30- 6am pickup 1130 or so .
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-25-2021, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      I was about 11-12 when I started sitting by myself, no cellphone back then dropped off @ 5:30- 6am pickup 1130 or so ,
      Bout the same for me. Ice chest with snacks and a magazine, book, or Walkman to keep me company.

Comment

I killed my first deer alone at 8. Wasn’t the plan but my dad had got the flu so after I begged, he went and dropped me off at the blind. Shot my first doe that morning with a .222.

Comment

I didn’t start deer hunting till I was 14.
          But I started bird hunting on my own around 9.

Comment

Grew up in the woods started sitting by myself about 8 with a 4/10 kinda started doing my own thing about 12 with a 20ga started using 30-30 at 13 or 14.Started bow hunting around 14 and started building and setting up stands for me and dad at 14 That seemed to be the norm in our area at that time born in 78.It seems kids are a little behind what I’m used to my friends are doing same with there kids a few years later,but we are in different times.It seems that dads are busier these days and not as hands on as I recall.I do remember carrying my single shot 4/10 at 5 but it was unloaded and I kept shell in my pocket but I felt part of the rabbit hunting party

Comment

Father of girls. They never wanted to be left alone...
              I think 12-13 is a good age.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                Wow, so you were sitting alone with a deer rifle at 6? Dipping Copenhagen I guess too?
                Single shot 410 & hell yes I was.
                You didn't ever complain about any of it either or say a word, because you weren't going the next time if you did.
                Cold, rain, it didn't matter.
                Go back a generation or 2 before me and they were starting families at 12.
                Last edited by MadHatter; 10-25-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Never .. he’s an adult and we cherish sitting in the blind together and enjoying the experience together

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Single shot 410 & hell yes I was.
                    You didn't ever complain about any of it either or say a word, because you weren't going the next time if you did.
                    Cold, rain, it didn't matter.
                    Go back a generation or 2 before me and they were starting families at 12.
                    How old was your kid when you let him sit by himself?

Comment

I was 13, but my son was 16. I grew up in a rural area and he didn’t. Experience means a lot. Everyone knows their own child and I would wait a year after I thought they were ready. Too many accidents have happened and nothing is lost and more is gained by hunting together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        I was 8 or 9. I think you are way over thinking it personally, but it’s your call so think away. I’m sure you have taught him well and he will be fine
                        How old was your kid before they started hunting alone?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                          How old was your kid before they started hunting alone?

I don’t have kids.

Comment

My son was 12. I had hunted with him a bunch and he killed some deer with me. At 12 he got his hunters Ed and he’s been mostly solo since.

Comment

I let my son bow hunt by himself when he turned 12. He arrowed a big doe that morning as I watched 200 yards down the sendero through my binoculars. Doe ran 35 yards. In the afternoon we went to a different ground blind on the ranch. I filmed his next hunt and he arrowed a doe. Made it about 125 yards. He thinks this Archery stuff is easy......he is 25 now and is ate up with Bow Hunting.

Comment

I let my son and his cousins hunt by themselves when they were 12

Comment

Working...
                                X