Federal Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
    Wow. Sounds like he could be walking free for some time if waiting on Federal paper pushers. He still has several building projects going on as we speak like nothing has happened at all. He was ordered to pay back the 1.8 million as well. The judge probably set him up on a payment plan of 20 dollars a month . SMDH
    That is correct. Once he gets out of prison he will have a term of Federal Supervised Release and be assigned to a U.S. Probation Officer. The Probation Officer and the District Clerk's Office will see what his "ability" to pay is and he will have to make those payments monthly. Obviously there are lots of ways around that, especially for a guy who is not opposed to fraud.

Comment

Self-surrender is very common in the federal system on non-violent, white collar crime.

Financial crimes prosecuted in the federal system often receive a much lower sentence than if the crimes were prosecuted by the state.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
        this is the absolute truth
        Yup just ask any roofer.

Such a joke, you can't land a roof in Texas with out ' covering the deductible'
        There are legal way's around it but the whole thing is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
          This is the best response.

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          this is the absolute truth

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Insurance fraud? All insurance is fraud.

Playing devil’s advocate here. If it’s a fraud do you have it and if so, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

I have it because it’s required
            I’d rather self insure

Comment

Minimum security and work release with conjugal privileges. Probably get to play golf one day a week too.

Comment

So was he the old guy or one of the other 2 that were charged.

Comment

Did this happen to be the guy that had the waterfront restaurant on the east side of the lake? I remember hearing it burned down a little while after we had been over there. I had read it looked like arson but forgot about the story.

Comment

The federal sentencing guidelines set forth the time someone is sentenced based on a complicated set of criminal history, crime (in this case dollar amount) position in the organization, acceptance of responsibility and a multiple other issues that determine the sentence.

The Pre-Sentence Investigation (PSI) report goes to the Judge who typically adheres to the recommendation. Unfortunately, judges are no longer required to follow the PSI, but generally most do.

The defense, prosecutor and judge all work together to accept a plea deal which outlines sentencing exposure. White collar crime and marijuana trafficking are the best ways to minimize sentencing exposure federally. $1.8 mil is on the low end for the sentencing guidelines. For example, a doctor in NW Arkansas pled to $12 mil fraud of medicare, he did 5.5 years of a 8 year sentence.

Congress is who determines sentencing guidelines and typically it's not an issue that is re-visited often.

It is rare for a federal defendant to be remanded immediately after sentencing. Typically, the govt has to show risk of flight and some associated factors.

Lots of pros and cons for taking someone fed v state. Fed time is roughly 80% time served, depending on the state it can range from 20% to 60-70%. A lot of jokes about Club Fed, but serve 10 years or more in a federal penitentiary and it's not a cake walk. Serve time in a fed "camp" or most state camps and its a 6 to 18 month vacation of sorts.

Texas is in the middle of time served, depends on crime, criminal history etc. The better informed LE is about sentencing and exposure can dramatically impact how a case is investigated, presented and ultimately adjudicated. Unless you have multiple defendants in a complicated conspiracy, I personally always took the state route for fraud due to the probability of increased sentencing.

Comment

Only a 2 year inconvenience penalty at an opportunity to be a multi millionaire? No wonder so many people take the challenge.

Comment

Winning

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Only a 2 year inconvenience penalty at an opportunity to be a multi millionaire? No wonder so many people take the challenge.
                        Yeah I know a guy that was price gouging the US department of defense on helicopter navigation parts, traded 3 years in club fed
                        For about 50-250 million, seems like he rolled the dice and won
                        And his family still owns the company and does business with the DOD
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-12-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Because as far as I know insurance is the only product/good that's required by law that citizens must purchase. That applies to health insurance and car insurance (if you want to legally drive).

Comment

Sentencing and trial are many times on different days. He will be guilty today. Sentenced a couple weeks later. Have a day to report to serve his time later. If your not a flight risk you will be out for all of this till you report. Been a to a federal trial or two in my day.

Comment

It’s not uncommon for federal sentencies to be called to report up to a year later amd will typically need to serve 75% of the sentence. I could be wrong but it was like that years ago when a family member went in.

Comment

Probably because he is in his mid 70s and if they wait long enough they wont have to cover his medical bills while in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X