Sheath makers / leather folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheath makers / leather folks

One of the knives that I got passed down from my dad is one of the original Old timer Sharp fingers. One of my favorite design knives out of all the ones I own.

Several years ago I lost the knife while tracking a hog on hands and knees because it got snagged on a limb and ripped the sheath. I found the knife a few months later by accident and had to grind a bunch of rust off it.

Can this sheath be repaired? Any of you gurus interested in repairing it or making me a new one ? Thanks

Possible to repair, leather color would probably never match without a re-dye, and even then maybe not. A good leather guy could duplicate exactly, and make a better sheath as well.

Comment

Bump

Comment

I could make you one but I'm not a sponsor... Check with Leon County Slayer, he does good work.

Comment

Duct tape! Just kiddin’.

Is that ripped or is a piece of leather missing? If it’s ripped, I’d buy leather repair glue and reinforce from the inside with a piece of gorilla tape.

For the leather, use a conditioner/ preservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Duct tape! Just kiddin’.

Is that ripped or is a piece of leather missing? If it’s ripped, I’d buy leather repair glue and reinforce from the inside with a piece of gorilla tape.

For the leather, use a conditioner/ preservative.

It's ripped. That method might work since I won't be carrying it much. But want to pass it down to the grandkids later

Comment

Bobby, if you substitute a small piece of leather for the gorilla tape, glue it behind the rip first and let it dry. Trim the top to follow the sheath’s curve. Then glue the ‘flaps’ down to it and the edges together. When dry, I’d rub a leather preservative/ waterproofer on it to help the cracked leather.

I bought a can of leather glue meant for shoemakers once and It was incredibly strong. The stuff was made in NJ and smelled to high heaven of chemicals.

Worst case- it doesn’t hold up and you get a new sheath made. But I’m guessing it will work and can be handed down, and they’ll know the story how you restored a favorite knife and the sheath.

My son still has one of those knives I bought him years ago when we started hunting.

Comment

Check a saddle shop in your area they should be able to make another.

Comment

Send it to me Chew. I'll hook you up.

Comment

Depending on the condition of the leather you might ( big maybe here) be able to stitch the tears in the leather. This is not the best solution to have a good sheath. That all depends on if there is an emotional attachment to the sheath. I would suggest having a new one made because it will never be right. The other option would be to replace the ripped piece of leather. You would only have half of the original sheath (the bottom part) but like I said only if it's an emotional thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      Send it to me Chew. I'll hook you up.
                      Originally posted by ruger41 View Post
                      Depending on the condition of the leather you might ( big maybe here) be able to stitch the tears in the leather. This is not the best solution to have a good sheath. That all depends on if there is an emotional attachment to the sheath. I would suggest having a new one made because it will never be right. The other option would be to replace the ripped piece of leather. You would only have half of the original sheath (the bottom part) but like I said only if it's an emotional thing.
                      Thanks guys. Good info and generous offer

Comment

You know I think we have a couple sharp finger sheaths from years ago - let me check I think they're the originals for that will look in the morning and get back to you manana!

Comment

The condition that leather is in you really don’t want to try to mend it. Give me a pm and I’ll text some pics if you’re interested in something. Sheaths are a specialty of mine.

If you don’t want a custom one you can find one for about $30 on eBay.
                          Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 10-07-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

A couple previous designs
                            Attached Files

Comment

Options!

Comment

Working...
                              X