No announcement yet.

How did Indians sharpen their knives??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on what point in history. In the last multiple centuries, the Indians I know had metal broadheads and knife blades. Maybe not all of them, but many of them did. I am sure there were plenty of arguments over which material made better broadheads and knife blades, amongst the various tribes.

I wonder how many got shot, because of those arguments. I can see it, in the days long before YouTube. Two guys arguing over steel or flint, and the guy who likes Flint, gabs his bow and a arrow and shoots the other guy. Then asks, what do you think of my Flint broadheads now? That or they dude out onto the plains, find some tanks. Then they each pick one out and take their best shot. Then compare the results.

I would bet stuff like this really happened. In the days before the arguments over mechanical vs fixed and heavy arrows vs arrow speed.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
      I have no clue but I want to find at least one arrowhead before I die lol
      My buddy found one while taking a dump in the saltgrass on Sargent beach this spring. Found a napping tool the next weekend in almost the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
        I don't know the answer OP but you can bet that every time an Indian started to sharpen his knife there was a least one that came out of nowhere to tell them that he was doing it wrong.
        That’s funny

No, Walk of Shame you clean Tatonka wrong. Start with south end. Save cape so Giant Beaver can mount it.

Comment

They/re not that hard to find. Just start walking creeks and look for flint where the water has flowed and on the sides where stuff is falling out of the freshly eroded soil. I got a whole box of them. Got a pretty cool mosasaur vertebrae too

Comment

I don't know the answer OP but you can bet that every time an Indian started to sharpen his knife there was a least one that came out of nowhere to tell them that he was doing it wrong.

Thank you for this!! Absolutely correct. In my case this would be my lil brother[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How about a link to the video?

Comment

the Indians were able to perfect their art and pass it down to future generations.

Sadly, the white man ventured West and the rest is history

Comment

The males did not do the process, only the maidens. So how did the ladies sharpen the tools they used?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Home Depot buys the tailings from GarGuy's digs. He already picked all the good stuff out first.
                    Good one Shane. GarGuy's digs are industrial strength awesome.

Comment

Nothing else posted on the internet today is more true than this.

Comment

They used a Lansky

Comment

Blakes post reminded me of this knife and dagger set i purchased from a "hopefully now popluar" indian carver that lived in the houston/ humble area 20 years ago. All made by hand natural tools..No modern tools of an sort. These looks amazing but his bone and ivory carvings he would come in regularly and show me make these look like childswork. Really wish i could meet him again one day and shake his hand.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                              I have no clue but I want to find at least one arrowhead before I die lol
                              Old hunting buddy had never found one and I was always finding some---taught him to quit looking for arrowheads and look for "worked" stones--he finally caught on and did fine after that.

Comment

Just like dustoffer said, don't look for shapes. Look for different colors, materials, and worked pieces. They will come

Comment

Working...
                                X