10mm vs 44 mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    You guys running them chest rigs with a bino harness?
    Yes, I do. I have a Badlands bini harness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

10mm vs 44 mag

I retired in Montana which is griz country. I carry a Springfield XD-M 10mm with Buffalo Bore hard cast ‘Outdoorsman’ rounds. Empty weight us 31.2 ounces. It has a rail to mount a light but that limits your holster options. I have a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster that fits perfectly in the 2” webbing on my Kuiu pack’s padded hip belt. I did wrap sone camo duct tape around the open bottom on the serpa so when I take off the pack I don’t put the barrel in the dirt.

I’ve had an XD45 compact for 10 years and the gun is the same grip angle (like a 1911 vs a Glock’s), loaded chamber indicator on top of slide, rear of grip safety.

With 15+1 you can ‘spray-and-pray’ if a bear gets too close.

My son carries a Ruger 454 Casul, which is what I’d suggest for a pistol.

Our game wardens go into bear country every day with spray and a .40 semi auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve lost count of the browns I’ve been around this summer, 10mm double stack would be the only thing I would have on me. That’s only if I’m fishing or messing around, in thick bear areas it’s a 375 ruger or 12 gauge alternating buckshot and slugs.

Comment

10mm vs 44 mag

I should also say the GWs carry a 12 gauge slug gun.

To the OP, the XD has 3 changeable handle inserts for your palm.

With that said, an ‘old timer’ here told me “with griz, after 4 shots either the bear or you is dead”.

Last edited by Bill; 09-24-2021, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            I retired in Montana which is griz country. I carry a Springfield XD-M 10mm with Buffalo Bore hard cast ‘Outdoorsman’ rounds. Empty weight us 31.2 ounces. It has a rail to mount a light but that limits your holster options. I have a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster that fits perfectly in the 2” webbing on my Kuiu pack’s padded hip belt. I did wrap sone camo duct tape around the open bottom on the serpa so when I take off the pack I don’t put the barrel in the dirt.

I’ve had an XD45 compact for 10 years and the gun is the same grip angle (like a 1911 vs a Glock’s), loaded chamber indicator on top of slide, rear of grip safety.

With 15+1 you can ‘spray-and-pray’ if a bear gets too close.

My son carries a Ruger 454 Casul, which is what I’d suggest for a pistol.

Our game wardens go into bear country every day with spray and a .40 semi auto.

Sounds like we carry the same load.

OP note that all 10mm rounds are not created equal, many are not “full or heavy” loads which makes their ballistics very similar to a 40. A full or heavy load is similar to a 41 magnum, I like magnums for things that want to eat me

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
              Sounds like we carry the same load.

OP note that all 10mm rounds are not created equal, many are not “full or heavy” loads which makes their ballistics very similar to a 40. A full or heavy load is similar to a 41 magnum, I like magnums for things that want to eat me
              People say 10 is similar to 41 mag, but comparing top loads of each so it is a true apples to apples comparison, the 10 has about 65 percent of the energy of the 41. That is not saying the 10 is bad, only that it is really not close to the 41

Comment

I fondled one of these the other day. Nice feel and balance. Front sight is plain black and needs a white dot on it. They do have a replacement fiber front sight for $130. The only thing I don't like is the polymer frame.

The 10mm auto that I really want is no longer made. Remington R1 Limited. A double stack 1911 frame.
                Rock Island also has one that I like. It's heavy and grip is bulky. Fits my paws good but might be too fat for people with girly boy hands. https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria...ra-fs-hc-10mm/

10mm auto is one of the few pistols that have been used to take Cape Buffalo and Elephant.
                With high power loads I think the heavier the better for staying on target because the recoil is pretty sharp. At least as bad as my 45 super + loads that will get your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  Lol. Dang. Torn now between sig and glock. I think Springfield makes a 1911 10mm and another 10mm as well. Can’t mount a light on the 1911 though.

I don’t like the XD pistols but if you are someone who has trouble handling and shooting Glocks it is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So, what I’ve found available is a kimber 1911 10mm and a sig p220 legion single action in 10mm. A few revolvers but not terrible interested in them.

Thoughts? Ain’t much for inventory right now

Comment

Both nice. Kimber probably a little lighter and trimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                        Glock 29 10mm in a Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest holster is what I carry in Grizzly country.
                        It will be with me next month while elk hunting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        I've got one of these for my 44mag. Decided to start carrying it after I got into a sounder of hogs on the ground during a rain shower with only my bow

Comment

If that cross chest holster is being worn correctly in the picture, I don’t see how he could draw his gun. His right hand would be at/above his right shoulder when it cleared the kydex holster.

Add a pack and shoulder straps- impossible riding that high on his sternum.

Lower and the gun closer to horizontal- absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I don’t like the XD pistols but if you are someone who has trouble handling and shooting Glocks it is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What don’t you like about the XDs, or do you just prefer Glocks?

Comment

For me, the XD has a slightly better trigger and is more ergonomic. But it feels much less controllable under recoil. The Glock is less ergonomic but the grip angle and lower bore axis make it way better to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I had an XD that had what I consider 2 catastrophic failures, meaning had I needed it it would not have done me any good. I always carried it in a holster at the lease when working, riding ATVs, hunting, etc. we had fine west Texas dust that go on/in everything.

1) Dirt intrusion into the striker channel would not allow the striker to release, basically it had a dead trigger.

2) On a separate occasion I could not get the mag out because dirt got in the mag release assembly.

After the 2nd failure I sold it and at the time begrudgingly bought a Glock. I carried it in the same conditions for years and never a failure. As a matter of fact I’ve never had a failure of any kind with a Glock since I’ve been carrying/using them since 2008.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X