ONX Hunt vs Gaia GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONX Hunt vs Gaia GPS

Which software do you prefer and why? Onx Hunt or Giaa GPS?

OnX. It is made for hunters. I have both.

Comment

Never heard of Gaia but do have onX and it’s great

Comment

I use on X and garmin earthmate. On X for boundarys of public land and satellite views, and Earthmate for better topo maps also it links with my inreach.

Comment

Watching
          I'm needing one myself.

I started off using OnX several years ago, there was something about it I didn't like.
          Switched to Scoutlook. Didn't like it.
          Tried Gaia & Huntstand @ same time.
          I liked Huntstand better so I stuck with it.
          Couple of years ago Scoutlook bought Huntstand and changed the subscription packages. I upgraded my package to keep the features. Than they changed the app to be more like the Scout look. Since I had 5 years of info in Huntstand I stuck with it. Hated using the app.

Since the property sold I don't the lease anymore. I have a clean slate so to speak

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes

Comment

Onx is the one I use because it synces between desktop and phone, and the ease to get maps downloaded to my phone and use offline. There is another one out there, it may be Giaa, that I want to try next year. It's too late in the season to learn something new this year.

But Onx has worked really well for me the last 5 seasons.

Comment

I have both

Comment

Gaia desktop syncs with phone as well. Gaia covers all the states for one price and is cheaper. Has a ton of layers

I have used Gaia for all my backcountry backpack hunts. It serves me well

Comment

Onx for me. Not saying it’s the best but I’ve never had any complaints or felt it was lacking. Have used it offline over 150 miles from cell service, in a lot of the states out west, shared waypoints with friends with zero issues. I’m excited to see the 3D maps become more advanced similar to goHunt.

Comment

GAIA has been good to me. Has a ton of options for maps and also has hunting layers. Trying out onx this year for an elk hunt but will still have GAIA available.

Comment

I have a subscription to OnX and have used it for a few years. I still have trouble with downloading the entire unit I am hunting in if I am wanting high detail using it offline.

I have downloaded Gaia and have been playing with it for the last month. I think that Gaia will be the one I like the most. I will be playing with both apps on my next hunt to see which i like better when I have to use them off line.

Comment

I've always used OnX. I like it for the most part. It has malfunctioned on me a few times in the field. Once on a downloaded map in a place I'd never been. Luckily my mediocre sense of direction told me to ignore the map and go the opposite direction. Just this past weekend while scouting it stopped working just when I needed it (approaching a non-fenced boundary).

I have the 50 states package and I'm pretty sure Gaia is cheaper if you need that.

Comment

I don't understand fpr the life of me why ppl use these other platforms when backcountry navigator has so many more tile options and is like 10 bucks

Comment

I have used OnX since the beginning when you had to buy an SD card for GPS.
                            Now, since they went SaaS I really like it because everything syncs between devices.
                            I am very happy with it and with all the way points I have, I feel comfortable staying with what I have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                              I have a subscription to OnX and have used it for a few years. I still have trouble with downloading the entire unit I am hunting in if I am wanting high detail using it offline.

I have downloaded Gaia and have been playing with it for the last month. I think that Gaia will be the one I like the most. I will be playing with both apps on my next hunt to see which i like better when I have to use them off line.
                              Downloading the offline maps is easy. What I do after downloading one is to just butt the next one up against the first one until I have the whole area covered. For example, my Antelope area took 6 different offline map downloads to cover it all. Once you have them downloaded, unless you delete them you will always have them on your device.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X