Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    To each their own I guess. I’ve never felt the desire to own a magnum rifle cartridge but pistols? Man I do like the big bores.

I’ve actually had people tell me that I was under gunned for using a .270 on WT. One said a 7mm mag was minimum and another the .300 mag.
    So I started killing with the 5.56. This year I will use the 6.5 G.

I really don’t care what anyone else uses, just make good ethical shots.
    Yes-This!

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      If you hunt where there is really thick brush like south Texas you might want atleast a 7mag so they don’t go more than 50ft. A lot of times the small caliber they run 50-200 yds and you might not find them or have a hell of a time trying especially at night. I likem laying in the sendero especially if I’m wearing my crocs. Lol
      That has more to do with where you shoot them than what caliber you use. Since I’ve gotten old, I shoot all mine where they fold up in place. A .280 Remington does that every time I do my part. A 25-06 will do the same, a .270, a .243, all those “old” calibers.

But….if you want to use a magnum, who am I to argue ? Use what suits you, it ain’t about need !

Comment

I got a .300 WTHBY that I took to Colorado for a elk hunt, it quickly became my go to deer rifle. The 25-06 that I had prior to was my son’s, then my wife’s deer rifle. They both sat in my safe for a number of years, while I was leaseless. I’ve got a small place to hunt and I take the .300 because I can!
        I love that wherever I decide to go, I’ve got a gun for all types of game. Shoot the guns you like, I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
          Only because you just want to Right?
          Oh, sure, righhhht...

Comment

Smaller caliber for me, I use to hunt with 300 mag 150 grain handloads. It was smokin and would knock everything down…. Including me kicks too dang much.

Comment

My favorite rifle is a marlin 45-70 i hand load a 405gr hard cast lead flat point. Don't think I have ever had anything run more than a couple jumps. It's kinda like getting stabbed with a baseball bat

Comment

IDK, most guys I know, put there magnums in the safe and picked up something smaller for Texas Whitetail. All but one guy, and he's a terrible shot, and always has to have someone sight his rifle in for him cause he's that bad. He moved from a 22-250 to a 7 mag. You can hit a deer in alot of places with a 7 mag and it still won't go far. Guess that's what he was going for.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  That has more to do with where you shoot them than what caliber you use. Since I’ve gotten old, I shoot all mine where they fold up in place. A .280 Remington does that every time I do my part. A 25-06 will do the same, a .270, a .243, all those “old” calibers.

But….if you want to use a magnum, who am I to argue ? Use what suits you, it ain’t about need !
                  I like your style. Although I love my 25/06 and .270 the .280 gets the nod more often than not. Mainly because of my confidence shooting it.

That said, the little 22-250 is not to be ignored. Bullet selection and shot placement are much more critical.

I’m all for people shooting what they want at whatever they’re hunting. But in the case of magnums shooter discipline comes more into play. Someone who may not be a great shot is only amplifying the faults with a high recoiling rifle.

Couple that with shooting lighter skinned game at generally closer ranges (let’s face it, probably 90 percent or more of hunters are shooting 100 yds or less) without the properly constructed bullet and stuffs going to happen.

Comment

I shoot a 300win my kids shoot 300win. Why I want a hole coming and going
                    I like the one gun you are confident with for everything that you want

Comment

I used to take a magazine called Hunting Fool. It had two pages devoted to youngsters and their elk and mule deer kills. Lots and lots of them were killed with .257 Roberts and .243 Winchesters. Just saying.

Comment

I have a couple of 300 WMs and both shoot like a dream.

The first is a Browning A Bolt II Composite Stalker with the BOSS brake on it. I don’t use it much anymore because I kind of feel bad for people 10’ either side of me when I’m at the range. It’s not pretty.

The newer one is a Bergara B14 Pro which I have set up for a suppressor. Awesome rig with possibly the most impressive repeatability I’ve ever seen from a non custom rifle shooting factory loads. The Browning was a Christmas gift from my parents around 20 years ago, I bought the Bergara for when we go on Axis hunts and also in case something else requiring longer range comes into play. That said, I’ve taken deer with several other of the usual suspects from .243 on up to the 300 WMs posted about above.

What I’m currently interested in would be the early 50th birthday gift I received from my brothers two days ago, which would be a Browning Hells Canyon Max LR in 6.5 PRC. I have absolutely 0 experience with that caliber but it’s intriguing.

Just researching what glass I want to put in it now, then waiting for sales around Black Friday or after hunting season. Oh yeah, and gathering “affordable” ammo as I find it. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                          I like your style. Although I love my 25/06 and .270 the .280 gets the nod more often than not. Mainly because of my confidence shooting it.

That said, the little 22-250 is not to be ignored. Bullet selection and shot placement are much more critical.

I’m all for people shooting what they want at whatever they’re hunting. But in the case of magnums shooter discipline comes more into play. Someone who may not be a great shot is only amplifying the faults with a high recoiling rifle.

Couple that with shooting lighter skinned game at generally closer ranges (let’s face it, probably 90 percent or more of hunters are shooting 100 yds or less) without the properly constructed bullet and stuffs going to happen.
                          Although I like the .270 in my current Savage setup, I believe I still prefer my .25-06 with 120 grn loads in its moderate recoil and flat-shooting ability.
                          Has stopped and dropped everything shot with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            Although I like the .270 in my current Savage setup, I believe I still prefer my .25-06 with 120 grn loads in its moderate recoil and flat-shooting ability.
                            Has stopped and dropped everything shot with it.
                            I’m working on some 115 grain partition loads for my wife’s 25/06. Ready to have them dialed in.

I Wanted to make mention, what I said previously about magnums isn’t meant towards EVERYONE that shoots a magnum, just geared towards where I think a lot of the stigma comes from.

That conversation is also very comparable to one I had with a close buddy about the 6.5 creedmoor. He had heard a bunch of bad talk about it. I told him although I don’t think it’s all the marketing hyped it up to be and how the masses took it in but it wasn’t a bad hunting Round. I told him I was pretty sure all the bad talk likely originated in guys using “match” or target style long range ammo (which is pushed hard towards the 6.5 crowd) for hunting deer when a simple cup and core or traditional softpoint would have been a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              I don't feel like I need my magnum calibers. I also don't feel like I need to explain to anyone else why I like 'em.

This^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Originally posted by canny View Post
                                This^

And Shane has a .240 Weatherby, anyone who needs that sort of bad@ssery explained to them, won’t get the explanation anyway!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-09-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X